So, What Did Happen To Seeker?

Jerry A!

I'm reading through my copy of Millenium City. Two things I can't figure out.

1. There's the illustration that says something like "The fate of Seeker revealed" (sorry, don't have my book handy right now). However, I don't recall actually reading anything in the text. If I've missed it, could someone please point me to a page number?

2. Where are the stats for Kid Rock and Ted Nugent? Please don't tell me that The Nuge couldn't survive something as wimpy as a nuclear bomb. :)

My best guess is that he never fully recovered from the years of beatings he received on the cover of the 4th ed book while it was in circulation. A Brick Wall upside your unproteced Ninja Noggin' delivered courtesy of Doc D for almost 2 straight decades is enough to Ret-Con anybody out of existence. That, or he just joined the Champs PowderPuff Girls (Illustration in FREd somewhere..can't remember the page number...)

My 2 GP

-T

Re: So, What Did Happen To Seeker?

Originally posted by Jerry A!

...I don't recall actually reading anything in the text. If I've missed it, could someone please point me to a page number?

It's only found by reading between the lines :D I'm sure that's just there as a joke to those familiar with how easy it is to kick Seeker's @$$. It's always more fun to let the players and GM kill off a character than for the designers to do it themselves.
2. Where are the stats for Kid Rock and Ted Nugent? Please don't tell me that The Nuge couldn't survive something as wimpy as a nuclear bomb. :)
Kid Rock is virus resistant, as we can deduce from his handling of Tommy Lee's Ex-Wife, but there are no assurances that he is nuke-proof. I do agree on the Nuge, however. He'll be hunting radioactive Grizzlies with his bow & arrow long after cockroaches have succeeded us on this planet.

Originally posted by TheTemplar

That, or he just joined the Champs PowderPuff Girls (Illustration in FREd somewhere..can't remember the page number...)

-T

Actually, it's not in 5th Ed, it's in the new edition of Champions, in the section on playing a comedy superhero game. That was really a great shot, too, captured the feel of the originals so well I thought the PPG artist might have done it.

Re: So, What Did Happen To Seeker?

Originally posted by Jerry A!

I'm reading through my copy of Millenium City. Two things I can't figure out.

1. There's the illustration that says something like "The fate of Seeker revealed" (sorry, don't have my book handy right now). However, I don't recall actually reading anything in the text. If I've missed it, could someone please point me to a page number?

It looks like, officially, Seeker only exists as a fictional comic book character in 5th Edition.

However, I'm playing up the universe change as being the consequence of the "Secret Crisis" mentioned in CU5th. The Universe got a reboot, and it changed everything, some more than others.

Originally posted by GamePhil

Actually, it's not in 5th Ed, it's in the new edition of Champions, in the section on playing a comedy superhero game. That was really a great shot, too, captured the feel of the originals so well I thought the PPG artist might have done it.

Ah! Yes! That's it. Thanks! I knew I had seen that somewhere. That completely cracked me up. It's Seeker, Solitaire, and ....one of the other MIA Champs..I can't remember who. Funny stuff.

my 2 gp

-T

INSPIRATION!

On another thread, I mentioned that I wanted to raise the MIA Champions-4 crew to 350 points and do something with 'em. At the same time, my wife wants me to run a 5th Edition 'demo' game so she can see what's different between the editions before she tries running it.

So, thus begins ... THE CRISIS ON INFINITE EDITIONS!

On Earth-4 :D , a massive battle with Dr. Destroyer over Detroit was fought to a bitter, bloody end ... however, the city wasn't levelled. When all was said and done, however, only Defender was left standing. He wept for his lost teammates, who gave their lives in defense of the innocent, and flew off to contemplate his fate.

But you *know* it ain't gonna be that easy. Enter Malachite, the 4th-Edition-Version. The evil mad scientist sort, he wouldn't miss an opportunity like this. He gathered cell samples from the bodies, and created clones more powerful than the originals, with abilities the originals had never concieved of. With the clones hanging in sensory deprivation, it was easy to brainwash them so that they would loathe Defender and curse him with every breath.

Then ... *FOOSH* ... the White Event. Realities overlaid, and people change ... some never were, some who were never meant to be are ... and while Malachite doesn't exist in that form, the Champions of Vengeance live with a single goal in their minds ...

"DEATH TO DEFENDER!" And if he thinks he can hide by just changing his armor's color scheme, he's sorely mistaken!

That sounds like a lot of fun, CC! Nice way to keep the old team alive. If you really want to put the fear of Seeker in your 350-pt. PCs, see if you can find the original edition of Champions Universe for 4E. That gave "experienced" versions of the Champions at around 400 pts. each with attacks of up to 15 DC.

I'm eventually hoping to have my PCs encounter the old Champions via the Secret Crisis story line (After all, it pulled heroes from different times so even heroes now can go back to it) and when it's over... they'll encounter them again, only in new forms and new fates. Not all will be as pleasing.

I guess in a way I'm fortunate that my old players aren't around anymore. It means that I don't have to worry about all these continuity issues with my new campaign. It also means I can pull some of the same crap on these guys that I did on the others :)

Seeker and 5E

I keep reading about references to a picture, in a recent DoJ publication, of Seeker looking up Damage Reduction. Does anybody know if this mythic jackelope exists? If so, what book and page number? I've been driving myself nutty because I cannot find it. :D

Submit your write-in votes for Origins!

At the GameStorm Hero System fan get-together, I heard Steve say something about there being an "official Champions comic book" that Nighthawk wanted no part of. Since the team needed a martial artist, the writers came up with this Australian fellow who is well loved, though much derided for his hackneyed origin, stupid costume, and tendency to get beat the crap out of about every other issue.

Re: Crosshair Collie

Hehe sounds fun, and plus it had an obscure New Universe reference (The White Event), earning the post bonus geek points.

Let us know how it turns out. The good news is Seeker might actually be able to beat Nighthawk, but Im particularly interested in how Ironclad vs Obsidian pans out. Whose going to fight the Jaguar guy thought? Kinetik?

I recently got a letter from Seeker that explains everything. Reprinted by permission.

Scott Bennie

-----

Dear mate!

Having a wonderful time! Well, that's the cliche (and that's what they say about me, isn't it - I'm all cliche?)

I just finished visiting Antarctica (yeah, I know, more jokes), just because - with the rate the ice shelf's been cracking - I wanted to see it while it was still intact. The glaciers are magnificent, grand beyond description, they make even the pyramids look tiny (I should know, as I was once embedded into one of the bigger ones at Giza). In retrospect, though, I probably should have gone to Antarctica in summer, though I stayed close to the coast and weathered the storms without too many problems. I also ran into that old blackguard Smuggler Blue, who was apparently trying to track down an abandoned Destroyer base. I don't think I need to tell you who won that dust-up, do I? (Though I wish they'd stop taking pictures of me when I'm knocked on my bum - they do realize I get off the ground three seconds after the picture's taken, don't they?)

Prior to Antarctica I spent some time in Bali, looking after the victims of the recent bombing. I've never been one who takes too much of what I see personally, but I know people who visit there, and some of them are the gentlest of souls, folk well worth protecting. Anyway, I managed to track down one of the terrorist cells responsible, or allies of them that was planning more of that filth. I didn't feel like killing them - or perhaps I felt more like killing them than I wanted - so I hired a mystic from one of the outer islands whose acquaintance I made some years ago, and asked him to use his abilities to make the terrorists experience what the victims of the bombings suffered. Suffer the sins of thy neighbor. I'd hoped it would give them more humanity, but it only deepened their sense of self-righteousness and their thirst for vengeance. I tell you, I never fully appreciated Foxbat until now. In the end, I made sure the lot of them were arrested, and that's when I left for Antarctica.

Life's a funny thing, Scott, but you already knew that.

I'm wondering where my travels should take me next. I was thinking that in all my years serving with the Champions in America, I'd never spent much time in its heartland, and America's at such a turning point right now, it seems like the right place and the right time to go there.

I'm sorry you didn't sell the good Mr. Long on the Seeker sourcebook; I figured the expanded disabling and injury rules alone would be enough to keep the rules wankers happy, but whatever happens, happens. (I'm getting quite zen in my old age - as I call my forced retirement - please thank Mr. Long again for it the next time you see him. And please tell Mr. Surbrook that Ninja Hero "rocks".).

Be a hero!

Don

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

At the GameStorm Hero System fan get-together, I heard Steve say something about there being an "official Champions comic book" that Nighthawk wanted no part of. Since the team needed a martial artist, the writers came up with this Australian fellow who is well loved, though much derided for his hackneyed origin, stupid costume, and tendency to get beat the crap out of about every other issue.

That's the explanation out of MC as well.

Originally posted by GestaltBennie

I recently got a letter from Seeker that explains everything. Reprinted by permission.

Scott Bennie

-----

Dear mate!

Having a wonderful time! Well, that's the cliche (and that's what they say about me, isn't it - I'm all cliche?)

I just finished visiting Antarctica (yeah, I know, more jokes), just because - with the rate the ice shelf's been cracking - I wanted to see it while it was still intact. The glaciers are magnificent, grand beyond description, they make even the pyramids look tiny (I should know, as I was once embedded into one of the bigger ones at Giza). In retrospect, though, I probably should have gone to Antarctica in summer, though I stayed close to the coast and weathered the storms without too many problems. I also ran into that old blackguard Smuggler Blue, who was apparently trying to track down an abandoned Destroyer base. I don't think I need to tell you who won that dust-up, do I? (Though I wish they'd stop taking pictures of me when I'm knocked on my bum - they do realize I get off the ground three seconds after the picture's taken, don't they?)

Prior to Antarctica I spent some time in Bali, looking after the victims of the recent bombing. I've never been one who takes too much of what I see personally, but I know people who visit there, and some of them are the gentlest of souls, folk well worth protecting. Anyway, I managed to track down one of the terrorist cells responsible, or allies of them that was planning more of that filth. I didn't feel like killing them - or perhaps I felt more like killing them than I wanted - so I hired a mystic from one of the outer islands whose acquaintance I made some years ago, and asked him to use his abilities to make the terrorists experience what the victims of the bombings suffered. Suffer the sins of thy neighbor. I'd hoped it would give them more humanity, but it only deepened their sense of self-righteousness and their thirst for vengeance. I tell you, I never fully appreciated Foxbat until now. In the end, I made sure the lot of them were arrested, and that's when I left for Antarctica.

Life's a funny thing, Scott, but you already knew that.

I'm wondering where my travels should take me next. I was thinking that in all my years serving with the Champions in America, I'd never spent much time in its heartland, and America's at such a turning point right now, it seems like the right place and the right time to go there.

I'm sorry you didn't sell the good Mr. Long on the Seeker sourcebook; I figured the expanded disabling and injury rules alone would be enough to keep the rules wankers happy, but whatever happens, happens. (I'm getting quite zen in my old age - as I call my forced retirement - please thank Mr. Long again for it the next time you see him. And please tell Mr. Surbrook that Ninja Hero "rocks".).

Be a hero!

Don

No mention of Solitaire. :( I'd think she'd make a fine travelling companion for Seeker, especially since Defender has that upstart Witchcraft and that poptart Sapphire hanging on him.

No doubt!

Don does have a serious, philosophical side, though, one for which Elaine seems a perfect match. Their respective 4th ed. writeups comment on their shared affinity for matters philosophical; relationships have been built on far less.

Plus, it would represent a lot of growth for each - Solitaire coming out of her shell and allowing herself to have a relationship, and Seeker 'settling down' (at least in the background; the public persona would still be as freewheeling and wisecracking as ever).