Legacies- Champions Universe style

Hermit

Originally posted by Darren Watts

First off, thanks for the kind words. I don't think anything official is planned (as far as the guys you mentioned, anyways), though I also like to use the "generational hero" shtick - after all, I have three MeteorMans (MeteorMen?), two Scarlet Archers and ten Black Masks in the CU. (Be sure to watch for the Vibora Bay sourcebook next year, btw, in which Black Mask X gets a featured role. After Silverback, she's the character I've played most often, and I'm very fond of her.) dw

Definitely looking forward to Vibora Bay (especially since I'm trying to get a friend to GM for once, and she likes the mystical side of things ;) ). Introduced Dr. Silverback on a brief "Welcome to Millennium City" Face to Face encounter to her PC btw. I believe she found the big ape charming. So add another to the Silverback fanclub.

:)

As for the legacies, I'm definitely going to consider bringing 'new blood' to those names in my games, at least a few of them. Thanks for the quick response.

I illustrated that illo that you are talking about. A couple of words. One, I asked if any of hte characters had been done visually, but they had not and not much info was forthcoming. So I thought I had free reign.

Shadowboxer, I come to find out, is a powerarmor hero... imagine my chagrin when flipping thru MC. And my Scarlett Shield doesnt match up quite to the other interior artist's interpertation.

However, I have to say, that I really like my Shadowboxer better... gritty, Detroit (home of Joe Louis, after all), defiant. But then again, I'm pretty biased.

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

Is Black Mask X like the Weapon X revelation - it really means Weapon 10?

No. Black Mask X means she is the tenth person to go by that name. Black Mask is just called Black Mask. The X is to let the reader know that the book is discussing the tenth one. She is a descendant of the original who appeared during the Revolutionary War.

Originally posted by Storn

However, I have to say, that I really like my Shadowboxer better... gritty, Detroit (home of Joe Louis, after all), defiant. But then again, I'm pretty biased.

I like yours better too, Storn...I got the playtest copy and thought of him in the same way...very 'street level' ala Luke Cage. Needless to say, if I ever use him, it will be your version.

Go Scarlet Shield

Well, I think the reason my heart went out to poor Scarlet Shield was he was a walking embodiment of that old saying, "Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they shall catch flak from both sides."

That and he took the bad guy's shield and started using it for good. Man, Green Knight must have HATED that :D

I am also a sucker for the 2nd generation hero thing. In my new campaign, set in the future, three of the villians/NPCs are grandchildren of PCs from a previous game.

Maybe you should try to convince your players to run 2nd gens of these guys. It would be fun to have two different PCs showing up as the new Scarlet Sheild. Professional Rivalry, anyone?

Originally posted by RevHooligan

Maybe you should try to convince your players to run 2nd gens of these guys. It would be fun to have two different PCs showing up as the new Scarlet Sheild. Professional Rivalry, anyone?

A bit too late, as I'd started up a campaign based on what I could in the CU. Characters are already settled. Ironically, one of the NPCs I made though was a Captain America clone..sort of. So there's a shield among them. :)

I had once thought of running a legacy campaign. The plan was to have the players make two characters, one a beginning level and one a no points cap level hero who is no longer active for one reason or another. The new character being the legacy hero that the players used, the bigger character stored by evil GM to use in plothooks, old hunteds, dnpc's, etc popping up.

• 4 years later...

Re: Legacies- Champions Universe style

I love legacy heroes. :)

Myself, I've written up a Kelvarite-empowered dimensional manipulator who is the grandson of the Scarlet Shield, though I still also want to do a 'modern' Shield. He actually started out as someone not even related, but then I noticed I'd given him the same last name as the Shield, so I just went with it. (I wanted to write up an African-American hero who wasn't either 'street' or African royalty -- he's a scientist working on alternate energy sources.)

Heck, I think I've got a female Patriot homage/legacy somewhere, mostly based on Stargirl from back when she was soloing with STRIPE/Pat Dugan.