More space news!

tkdguy

To be fair, if it's a white dwarf, the furnace shut down long ago. It's just not fully cooled yet.

It's a white dwarf. At the current age of the Universe even the first one should not have cooled down yet.

And the worst part is that you can not even put it into water to cool this iron down. You would only end up adding more hydrogen for a proper fusion.

Would be nice to see the 1 Inch Steelplate in comparision. All I can find on youtube is 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch steelplates being shoot by 7.62 or 30-06 bullets (differnt names same bullet form). And there is no proper mention if they shoot it with AP rounds or not.

Still that it desintegrated the bullet rather then indenting itself is pretty impressive. And the whole thing is lighter then the same thickness of steel.

Edit: Actually found something (starts around minute 6). Proper AP rounds, vs normal use Mild Steel and Armor Steel (AR 500):

Shooting that bullet on 1 Inch mild steel did not even deform the core as it went straight through. 1.5 Inch of Mild Steel actually barely caught it, under severe deformation*

3/8 Inch of proper Armor steel: Penetrated.

1/2 inch of proper Armor Steel: Caught, deformation*

4 inch of Concrete: Penetrated. Anything though blocked it*

It might be they don't do 1 inch versions of this steel, because it would just become too heavy. "if you need more then 1/2 inch, you propably need a totally different material/defense".

*in HERO terms: the defense was overcome, but it had enough BODY to not let the bullet through.

Kepler is now out of emergency mode.  But now they have to figure out why it went into emergency mode to begin with.

How did they manage that? Just turning it off and on again? (granted this advise is often a bad idea if you don't have physical access to the device)

I heard of something like the laser/solar sail concept before.

Project Medusa - a brother of the Nuclear Pulse Propulsion - would have exploded his sail forward NPP style.

And there is the whole idea of Beam-powered Propulsion.

I'm not sure. The news resports didn't mention it also being a quasar; they just said it was the most massive black hole yet discovered, period (though possibly tied with another whose mass was less certainly known). It was unexpected because it was in a rather small galaxy and cluster of galaxies; previous ultramassive black holes had occupied correspondingly huge galaxies in large, dense clusters and superclusters. They are presumed to have formed through mergers of many galaxies and their central black holes. But that doesn't seem possible for this black hole.

Dean Shomshak

How did they manage that? Just turning it off and on again? (granted this advise is often a bad idea if you don't have physical access to the device)

Near as I can tell they didn't do anything, it just snapped out of it. But I think limited comms are still possible in emergency mode so maybe they rebooted it or something.