Marvel Second Stringers. Help me out.

Enforcer84

Okay, I am, mostly for intellectual exercise, creating a team of obscure Marvel Heroes. For once I am not mining the treasure trove of Joke characters, but merely characters that have had little impact or less impact in the Universe than they could. Right now I have two.

Thundra

Giant Man II (Bill Foster)

I'd like someone who is a) Legitimate (No Frogman or Captain Ultra this time), B) seems like they'd be able to work in a group, and c) be willing to relocate out of New York.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Marvel Second Stringers. Help me out.

Is Nova still around? I remember liking him.

Starfox / Eros was cool as well, even if they never did use him as well as they could.

I'm not sure if Doc Samson counts as a second stringer, but I always liked him.

Throw in all the Power Pack kids, and Franklin, as adults.

Been a long time since I read Marvel.

Here are few second stringers. Some are fairly low powered. Most of these made appearances in Captain America's comicbook back when I was reading them about a decade ago.

Diamondback (she was Cap's girl friend, at least for a while)

Demolition Man (Dennis Dumphy, low level brick, former unlimited league professional wrestler, he hung around with Cap for a while, I ran this character in a low-level marvel game once).

Falcon (he was Cap's partner for a spell, I don't remember what happened to him)

Silver Sable (she also appeared in Spiderman from time to time, basically a merc so I don't know if I'd really classify her as a hero)

Moon Knight (a friend of mine used to run him in our low-level marvel game but I didn't ever read much of the Moon Kight stuff).

Depending on time period you could go with: Cloak & Dagger, Shroud, Spider-woman, Powerman & Ironfist, or really most any of the defunct Defenders [son of Satan, Gargoyle, Hellcat, Valkyrie, Nighthawk, etc.]. I've always been fond of Nova [mentioned by Oddhat] and there's the old Marvel Boy and Jack of Hearts.

Second Stringers, eh?

Okay ... how about: A new Dr. Druid, Triathalon/3D Man, Photon I/Captain Marvel II (Monica Rambieau), Living Lightning, Espirita, Gilgamesh, Warcry, Rage, Spider Woman II or III and Stingray :)

Well, I like the Russian heroes; Vanguard, Red Dynamo, Mj Ursus, the Titanium Man... not all the bunch of them, mind you...

...Hercules...

Does anybody remember Atomia? She was in Namor's entourage during the events of Super Vilain Team-Up, Hydrobase and stuff...

The Heroes Reborn debacle left us at least one good character we saw a bit in older Thunderbolts; Rikki Barnes, the Franklinworld's Bucky.

Gorgon, Medusa, Black Bolt, Jawlock. That was sooo Kirby.

Nova. It would be good to see Nova back somewhere.

And there is more...

Moon Knight

Ghost Rider(The one that perceded Johnny Blaze) I think he's called Shadow Rider now. He's dressed as a cowboy in an off-white outfit(glowing?) with full face mask. He just goes whereever her needs to be.

Spellbinder. Not the lead girl from that mini-series, she went nuts. Her eldest brother. He has the chaos and order bracelets and is guarding against one of the Spellbinders returning to wreak havoc on Earth

Okay, I am, mostly for intellectual exercise, creating a team of obscure Marvel Heroes. For once I am not mining the treasure trove of Joke characters, but merely characters that have had little impact or less impact in the Universe than they could. Right now I have two.

Thundra

Giant Man II (Bill Foster)

I'd like someone who is a) Legitimate (No Frogman or Captain Ultra this time), B) seems like they'd be able to work in a group, and c) be willing to relocate out of New York.

How obscure is obscure? Several characters mentioned are Avengers.

Where are they relocating to?

West Coast, Seattle to stay away from the LA stigma.

I don't care if they've been popular before, but they should be far from the limelight now.

Phonon (formerly Captain Marvel II) works. As does Doc Samson because, I like him and he's always been a guest rather than a star. Demoliton Man too. However, I am getting brick centric here and was hoping for some others...:D

West Coast, Seattle to stay away from the LA stigma.

I don't care if they've been popular before, but they should be far from the limelight now.

Phonon (formerly Captain Marvel II) works. As does Doc Samson because, I like him and he's always been a guest rather than a star. Demoliton Man too. However, I am getting brick centric here and was hoping for some others...:D

A costal city, I would have suggested Namorita if not for the brick centric reference.

Moondragon. Every group needs a mentalist, as a non-mutant telepath I find her fascinating, and she also brings martial arts to the table.

If you are leaving out Demolition Man, I would suggest Nomad or USAgent. Yes, neither is know for their teamwork, but for dramatic purposes a Hawkeye/Wolverine "loyal opposition" can provide a foil for the leader.

What's Black Cat doing since Peter got married? Martial arts and luck powers.

Powered armor might be nice. There's War Machine. Or Sketchpad mentioned Stingray. Humm, Stingray and Namorita might be an interesting team-within-a-team.

Starfox and Sersi both have potential that has never been utilized.

-A favorite of mine (whom I stole for my campaign) would be Sunturian, an obscure Iron Man character. He was to Roxxon Oil what Iron Man was to Stark International. Funny thing was, he was actually a really good guy.

-For that godly might angle you can include Thunderstrike from Thor, (or let him stay dead & pass the mace to a new mortal who is worthy)

-Is Darkhawk obscure enough to be a member of the team?

-For the skilled normal with a schtick try Rocket Racer from Spiderman, the ernest youth with a wrist blaster & a rocket powered skateboard.

This may be a bit off topic, but every time I see a post by Jhamin I get a Bob Marley song stuck in my head.

And I hope you like Jhamin too.

We Jhamin,

We Jhamin,

We Jhamin,

We Jhamin,

We Jhamin,

We Jhamin,

I want to Jham it wid you.

My nomination for team mystic: Jennifer Kale, the student of Dakimh The Enchanter (deceased, wizard, guardian of the multiverse, former student of Zhered-Na, and survivor from pre-cataclymic Atlantis).

Despite appearing in Howard the Duck, and wearing a costume consisting of wispy not-much, Jennifer Kale was a talented, pleasant, serious and useful person, and Dakimh was no joke till (being very elderly) he keeled over and died of a heart attack due to the physical strain of mystic combat.

I'd rather adventure with a likeable team-member like Jennifer Kale than with, say. Talisman (Elizabeth Twoyoungmen) or Doctor Druid (Anthony Druid).

So what is this team going to be called? Also what is it's base like?

As an aside, if you want to toy with the fabric of reality (And Peter Parker's sanity) You could include some Clones of his who have adopted the alternate identities he assumed during the period in which he had a bounty on his head. You know, The Hornet, The Rollicking Ricochet, Dusk and Prodigy. Varied, and you get to toy with Spidey's sanity. What's not to like? :winkgrin:

If you're looking for a good 'energy blaster' give Alison blaire, aka Dazzler a shot.

She is a capable character in the right hands, and she REALLY needs to get away from the X-Men (and especially away from the dorky Mojoverse stuff).

Kind of associated with Dazzler is another candidate:

The Blue Shield. Basically a guy with a force field, but he was also the chief of security of the Pegasus Project... hmm, or maybe some other Project... I forget. But that proves he is a forgettable character with potential for your team. He should probably expand his powers, possibly by expanding his force field into a limited telekinesis??

But definitely Dazzler.

I would choose

Stingray (Puget Sound after all plus all that exciting marine life along the coast would attract his secret ID) Power Armor + Scientist

Doc Samson Brick and if we learned anything from Thunderbolts its that a shrink on a superhero team is needed.

Alex Power (with all the powerpack powers) young Alex is just goin off to school when the jones to super hits him again. Gravity Control, Mass Control, Flight, Disintegration and Energy Absorbtion

Dazzler the comeback kid, despite what others said her days in the Xmen were good to her until the Mojoverse.

Hawksmoor