Favorite Superhero Lines

Iuz the Evil

Re: Favorite Superhero Lines

Superman & Batman #4

Batman, refering to Toyman making a rocket that will enable him and Supes to save the world: "Everything hinges on the boy completing his work before Luthor finds out."

Katana: "But the kid made it clear he want's to talk to Superman."

Batman: "He is also 13 years old. Find a waty to distract him."

Powergirl: What's every one looking at me for? How am I supposed to distract... oh."

For those that don't get it, this picture of Power Girl might help.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Worldmaker

(paraphrased) Mogul: "I understand that on this planet distinctions are made based on age and gender. So, to be polite, which of you should I kill first?"

(actually, that issue is not stop cool lines)

Yeah.... and personally I think

BURN!

... tops your example. (Sorry...)

Marvel Two In One #51, "Full House, Dragons High"

The story that introduced the floating superohero poker game.

One good line after another. Two stand out.

Beast, holding five cards between his toes, "Humm, why do they call it a poker hand?"

Nick Fury, "Stuff a sock in it, McCoy!"

When the villian is defeated, and is complaining it's all the Avengers fault, Ben picks him up by the scruff of the neck "Wadda you mean, 'All the Avengers' fault'?"

Any time Beast said to Wanda "Frankly Scarlett . . .."

One issue of Avengers, Ms Marvel throws the villian toward Beast. "Heads up Hank!"

"Forwarned is forearmed, Ms. M! But four arms do not make for fantastic feats!" Hits villian with flying drop kick. "So feets, don't fail me now!"

Spider-Man is the king of the one-liner.

From the Spider-Man XBox/ PS2 game based loosely on the first movie w/ a bunch of extra stuff:

Spider-Man (when meeting Shocker for the first time): "Who are you? Padded Man? The Human Quilt? No, no... I got it! The Cushion!"

And from the video game sequel...

Spider-Man (upon again encountering Shocker): "Hey, Shocker, you're looking good! Did you get reupholstered?"

They say a picture tells a thousand words so here goes..

My favorite scene/line in a comicbook was in JLA.

Guy Gardner (Green Lantern) was being his usual annoying self.. Batman cooly walks over to him and punches him knocking him cold.

Guy Gardner (Green Lantern) was being his usual annoying self, saying Batman wasn't that scary. Then he backs into Batman, who has walked up behind him. Batman looked Guy straight in the eyes and said:

"SIT DOWN"

Guy ended up bruising his rear end when it hit the seat. At this point one of the Leaguers that was there said. "That is why he is the Batman"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This reminds of the time Dick Grayson was posing as Batman. He is down in the Batcave with the new Robin. When the original Batman walks in and tells Robin they have work to do and walks past them. Robin turns to Dick and says "How does he do that?"

Dick responds "I don't know. I have known him for 20 years and I still don't know how he does that. It still gives me the willies."

I am partiallly paraphrasing here, of course.

Moon Roach, on a rooftop, has just hit Cerebus with roach-arang. Holding the roach-arang, Cerebus addresses Moon Roach. "Interesting little device, yes sir! Cerebus only hopes -- for your sake -- that it taste good too! Come down right now and you won't have to eat it all in one bite!"

they were looking for cool superhero quotes.

Cerebus is another animal entirely. Ugh. :ugly:

Dark Night 2, let's try Kara, the daughter of Superman,

responding to Brainiac's prediction of servitude:

"Wrong, Monster, I'll be the death of you" :mars:

During the Mutant Massacre ... after Nightcrawler was taken down, Colossus snapped Riptide's back and turned to Harpoon to say: "Make Peace with Your Gods, Little Man ... Because You Are Next!"

There was an issue of Wolverine where he met Captain America in 1940's Madripor Where Logan "Accidentaly" spilled a drink on Barron Von Zucker in effect making it much easier to track him.

Zucker: "Watch what your doing Idiot."

Logan: "Excuse me."

Zucker: "Look at me, I'm Soaked."

Logan "Excuse me Alot."

Guest Worldmaker

There was a JLA special... I can't remember the title of it right now, but it involved a young man who was transported up to the JLA's moon base with the entire population of his town, and somehow escaped being transported back down, and spent the week writing down his impressions of the JLA.

Anyway, during the end, when the villain casually remarks (after being beaten... he was admiring the fact that they beat him but that it took all of them to do it) "Its too bad your Sea-King isn't here", the kid says "You're lucky our Sea- King isn't here!"

You don't see too many "Yay! Aquaman!" lines in DC comics.

Avengers first Perez era.

The team is on the porch watching as a man is hauled away in a straight jacket, during a snow fall.

Wasp: Can we go inside now? It's cold.

Beast: Gee Jan, I'd loan you my fur coat but I can't seem to find the zipper.

From Herobear and the Kid:

So, for the next few minutes, they proceeded to school me in Respect 101. And to make sure that I understood the lesson, they offered me some demonstrations. They used props and visual aids. And they really encouraged class participation.

(Meanwhile, during each panel, the three Bullio brothers are beating up on Tyler (aka the Kid), noogies, snowballs, etc.)

So it's a soliloquy, not a quote. Close enough, right?

There was an issue of Wolverine where he met Captain America in 1940's Madripor Where Logan "Accidentaly" spilled a drink on Barron Von Zucker in effect making it much easier to track him.

Zucker: "Watch what your doing Idiot."

Logan: "Excuse me."

Zucker: "Look at me, I'm Soaked."

Logan "Excuse me Alot."

The Uncanny X-Men, #268, late Sept 1990, written by Chris Claremont and penciled by Jim Lee, and one of my all time favorite comics.

And, *ahem*, Wolvie's last line is " 'scuse me all to heck!"

There was a JLA special... I can't remember the title of it right now, but it involved a young man who was transported up to the JLA's moon base with the entire population of his town, and somehow escaped being transported back down, and spent the week writing down his impressions of the JLA.

Anyway, during the end, when the villain casually remarks (after being beaten... he was admiring the fact that they beat him but that it took all of them to do it) "Its too bad your Sea-King isn't here", the kid says "You're lucky our Sea- King isn't here!"

not really a quote, but there was a JLA, or JLE, but anyway Deathstroke the Terminator was fighting the League and doing a pretty good job, the whole time he's doing this he's internal monologuing and then he runs into Aquaman and bounces off. THen give Arthur Props for being tough as steel and the "Big Boy" of the group.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Wolverine, he did have a good line in the first arc of Astonishing X-Men. The alien Ord is escaping in his ship, Wolvie catches up thanks to Colossus and the fast ball special. He crashes in through the window of the cockpit and shoves nearly his entire forearm into Ord's mouth.

Wolverine: You bite, I heal. I pop, you won't.

One of the coolest lines I've heard in a long time came from a brand new JL Unlimited Episode.

So be warned spoilers are below

To set it up: Captain Marvel's just joined the JL and gets corraled by the press. He starts talking up the League and how it does good, that even supervillians like Lex Luthor can be reformed and its swell that Luthor's running for President.

Supes of course is a little steamed and drags Marvel before the big 7 and dresses him down. A little later Supes is watching Luthor make an announcment that's he's built a city of second chances for those who need it, for the poor etc. Later Supes gets called in to the site of a robbery where a good chunk of weaponized kryptonite has been stolen.

Cut to Luthor's city a few supicious sounding comments later and Supes is convinced of the worst. Captain Marvel steps in as the voice of reason. Luthor pipes up that its an experimental fusion reactor, which Superman disbelieves. Supes throws Marvel off and the gloves drop on a massive brick brawl in an empty city. Marvel in the end loses.

Afterwards its confirmed that Lex was telling the truth, that it really was a fusion generator. Que the press and Luthor is coming off as a good guy.

Captain Marvel's calls a meeting with the original seven of the Justice League, and talks about how he looked up to them and idolized Superman then he drops this.

"I believe in fairplay. I believe in taking people at their word and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Back home I've come up against my share of fairly nasty bad guys but I never had to act like them to win a fight. I always found another way. I like being a hero, a symbol. Thats why I'm quiting the Justice League. You're no longer heroes."

Marvel then just walks off in silience head held high.

Resurrection Man #10 guest starring Hitman.

Hitman has been hired to kill Mitchell Shelley whose power allows him to come back from the dead, with a new set of powers.

Shelley has Hitman up against a wall when Natt comes up behind him.

Natt with gun to Shelley's head: Let my boy go, or win a cabriolet skull.

Natt: Won't tell you twice.

Ms. Rebecki (Shelley's Lawyer) with gun to Natt's head: Won't have to.

Natt: Damn.

Hitman: Well, this is a very Tarantino moment... What do we do now? Kill each other?

Later...

Hitman (having joined up with Shelley): So what's the status of your new powers, Shelley?

Shelley: uh... Apparently I can make butterflies. (Demonstrates powers)

Natt: That's the most beautiful thing I ever saw.

Hitman: Right. (Shoots Shelley in the head)

Hitman: Hello again. What's your power now?

Shelley: oghhh... I think... I can change color. ...chameleon powers...

Hitman: Crap! (Shoots Shelley)

Hitman: Look, I'm just gonna keep on killing you until you come back with a decent gift... Up against the Lab, you're gonna need it.

Shelley: X-Ray Vision?

Hitman: Keep trying. (Shoots Shelley)

Main story with Hitman ends there, Shelley's story goes on into the next issue. The Epilogue involves Hitman and Natt going to see the man that hired Hitman to kill Shelley in the first place.

Hitman handing photo of Shelley over: So, as you can see, he's dead. Now pay up.

Man: We have reason to believe that Shelley is still alive.

Hitman: You're right. That's Mitch Shelley for ya. Unkillable.

Man: So get on with the job. Don't expect me to pay you when it's not done.

Hitman: You said three hundred grand for photographic proof of the kill. Well, here he is shot. Stabbed. Run down. Blown up. And drowned. And hanged. And gassed. At three hundred grand a pop, this is gonna cost.

Man: You have to be joking!

Hitman as he, Natt and the bartender pull guns on the Man: Only if you wanna die laughing.

Props for that last one, very funny.

Some of my favorites are from years gone by.

A scene from the return of Bullseye shows Daredevil and the revamped (adamantium skeleton) Bullseye fighting on the rooftops of New York.

Daredevil monologues to Bullseye after gaining the upper hand by fighting dirty. Yep! Daredevil fights him dirty.

When Bullseye questions his tactics (through a busted up mouth) Daredevil informs him.

"Evil is easy, being good...that is hard."

I also like a slightly more recent quote from the JLA. Superman and Wonderwoman are sent by the Batman to collect the Flash so that they can keep superspeed tabs on the White Martians. Wally West has recently been replaced by a darker edgier Flash from an Alternate timeline.

Superman asks the Flash a question to which he recieves a gruff answer about the use of the Philosopher's Stone.

Superman turns to Wonder Woman and says. "Whoever he is he just out gruffed Aquaman."

Hawksmoor

Thought of one for the Fish King...

The Justice League is fighting an army of rogue angels (literally!) and Flash, having been trapped in the JLA transporter, finally arrives on the scene. Aquaman helps him out from some rubble.

Flash: "So what's the situation. Key words only please."

Aquaman: "Key words only? How about 'End,' 'World,' 'The,' and 'Of.'"

Heh-heh...

-Lonewalker