Favorite Superhero Lines

Iuz the Evil

Re: Favorite Superhero Lines

Heh...one of my faves, from Deadpool#25:

Deadpool: "Rochambeau...it's a little game guys like me play to settle things...I'll Rochambeau you for...for everything."

Captain America: "Well...if it helps you let go...how do you play?"

Deadpool: "It's easy...I'll go first. Rocambeau.((Rochambeau's Cap!)) See? Told you it was easy. I win."

-And thusly, Deadpool kicks Cap in th nuts and saves the universe from Shuma-Gorath making everybody blissed out and docile. :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from an old Spidey comic where he had absorbed some cosmic force that give him massive powers. He spends time flying around the city, shooting energy blasts, one-punching the Hulk into orbit, etc.

In the Real World, this is just after the first Batman movie ("What are you?" - "I'm Batman.").

Spidey has captured some two-bit crook, using his new powers to utterly intimidate him. The bad guy stutters something like, "Who are you?"

Spidey replies, "I'm Bat...I mean, I'm Spiderman!"

From Green Lantern: Rebirth # 6:

Batman (Bataroping Hal's Wrist): "I want an explanation Jordan."

Hal (Using the ring to destroy the cable): "Figure it out."

Batman (Grabbing Hal's shoulder): "We're not done ..."

Hal (After flatting the Bat with a right-hook): "Right now ... we are. Let's go Lanterns."

Guy Gardner (After beating the bad guy): "Yeah Baby. That's the way the Lanterns do it!"

John Stewart: "Hey Gardner. What was all that talk about how you don't miss the ring?"

Guy: "Tfff! I lied."

Hal: "You're up and running pretty quick."

Ollie: "Yeah. Thanks to the three hundred plus stiches. Though my shot is still off by a millimeter or two."

Hal: "And that's new?"

Ollie: "I forgot you had a sense of humor."

From most early Hercules appearances: "Ho! I bestow upon thee ... The Gift!"\

From Batman Beyond RotJ:

The Joker: "Ah, the new boy. Ears are too long and I miss the cape. But not too shabby. Not too shabby at all."

From the animated Justice League Episode "Kid Stuff"

Kid Wonder Woman: That's enough!

Girl: You can't tell us what to do. You're not our mom.

Kid Wonder Woman: No, but I promise you - we will find all your moms. And I'm going to tell!

So many good lines from that awesome show :)

From the current Spectacular Spider-Man, issue 21. Spidey is playing poker with the FF, Archangel, Black Cat and Dr. Strange when Kingpin shows up and enters the game. After Spidey and the Torch provide comentary during one of the rounds of poker:

Kingpin: It never ceases to amaze me that two children such as yourselves manage to survive in a man's world. It's a wonder you can put your spandex suits on correctly every morning.

Spider-Man: I like being a kid--it's what keeps me young and interesting, you'd be amazed at the stuff I see.

Reed Richards: Hehh--Okay, what's the craziest thing you've seen overall?

Kingpin: A class clown dressed in a spider suit.

Spider-Man: The Mafia.

Kingpin: Touche.

Petty as it seems, I always enjoyed the part in Secret Wars where we see WHY Spider-Man is bad news when he teaches the X-Men a little humilty :)

Nightcrawler: "I'll get him! I'm as fast and agile as he is!"

Spider-Man whips around and webs NC PDQ

Spider-Man: "Not on the best day of your life, Nightcrawler!"

Spider-Man: "With great power comes great responsiblity."

Aquaman: "You serve fish?"

Bartender: "We serve anybody, pretty boy."

Jack Ryder: "...Bring suit against you!"

Green Arrow: "Just so long as it's not that one. Who's your tailor? The Joker?"

Superman: "I knew he was coming, though. Super-hearing."

Batman: "So did I. I spotted his footsteps in the grass. Deductive reasoning."

Superman: ".003 seconds? What kept you, Flash?"

Flash: "A kid falling in front of a subway car."

Green Lantern: "I don't do bubbles. That was the old guy."

Here's some more I love...

Superman: The Animated Series

Lois Lane: "I'm confused, Kent. See, I've lived in Metropolis most of my life and I can't figure out how some yokel from Smallville is suddenly getting every hot story in town."

Clark Kent: "Well, Lois, the truth is I'm actually Superman in disguise, and I only pretend to be a journalist in order to hear about disasters as they happen and then squeeze you out of the byline."

Lois Lane: "You're a sick man, Kent."

AND

Superman: "Where's your boss?"

Robin: "Around..."

Superman: "Let me rephrase it... where's Bruce?"

The Incredibles

Mr. Incredible: "No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

Lucius Best: [bob and Lucius are sitting in a parked car, reminiscing] "So now I'm in deep trouble. I mean, one more jolt of this death ray and I'm an epitaph. Somehow I manage to find cover and what does Baron von Ruthless do?"

Bob Parr: [laughing] "He starts monologuing."

Lucius Best: "He starts monologuing! He starts like, this prepared speech about how *feeble* I am compared to him, how *inevitable* my defeat is, how *the world* *will soon* *be his*, yadda yadda yadda."

Bob Parr: "Yammering."

Lucius Best: "Yammering! I mean, the guy has me on a platter and he won't shut up!"

Batman: _Justice League:_ "Secret Society"

The Bat bursts in on Clayface, mid-robbery, and starts berating him for his predictablility. The rest of the Society suddenly come out of hiding...

Paraphrasing: "I see you've brought some friends. Wish I'd thought of that..."

Then, the warehouse door falls open, revealing the rest of the League.

Bats: "Oh, that's right, I did..."

From _Justice League:_ "The Enemy Below"

Superman grabs DeadEye and orders him to say who hired him. DeadEye basically tells him to forget it. Batman then grabs DeadEye and walks several feet from the rest of the League, whispering into DeadEye's ear. DeadEye then collapses blathering "I'll talk... I'll talk..."

Wonder Woman: "What did he SAY to him?"

Superman: "You don't want to know."

So many, most of which have already been posted.

Superman, "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns"

"They'll kill us if they can, Bruce. Every year, they grow smaller, every year they hate us more. We must not remind them that giants walk the Earth."

The many and varied Spider-Man wisecracks. The most memorable single one is IIRC from a fight with Hobgoblin. Hobby: "Soon, you will know defeat at the hands of the Hobgoblin!" (Spidey swings up, punches Hobby) "Defeat at the hands? Howabout da fist in da face?" :)

"It's Clobberin' Time!" always brings a smile too.

Both Thor and Doc Doom have used this one: Thor/Dr.Doom do something very impressive, someone else remarks "You did it!". Thor/Dr.Doom reply, "Of course. Was that not my intention?" :)

DK2, Batman to Superman

"That's the problem with all those high and mighty powers. They made you cocky. Overconfident. You never learned to think strategically. I did. Pardon me while I drop ninety tons of planet earth on you."

I'm sure someone has mentioned Uncle Ben's great power/responsibility speach. (And if you haven't, for shame!)

Hard to match Superman's "General... Care to step outside?" for a nice dramatic moment.

I love super-hero lines!!!! Here are a few of my faves... starting with the obvious ones...

Batman: Year One and DKR (paraphrasing)

"She knows Karate... but only Karate."

"There are 7 working defences from this position. 3 of them kill. 3 of them disarm with minimal contact. One of them... hurts!"

"It was hard word carrying 200lbs of psychopath to the top of Gotham's highest building. The scream alone was worth it."

Alfred: "Sir, why did you disable the weapons system?"

Batman: "Can't have a back door, might be tempted to use it."

In fact virtually every line in that book is amazing!!!! So I'll stop quoting it! Go read it instead!!!

DC Mega-Crossovers:

Wonder-Woman (of the 850th century): "That's Superman, OUR Superman, he's trying to punch his way through time to rescure the Justice League in the 850th century."

Superman (of the 850th century): "I'll cement your plasma bottle with my force vision. But my concentration must remain on it, so it's up to your Superman to race the kryptonite bullet and stop the assassination of his future self."

Parallax (when the Spectre shows up in Zero Hour): "So you want big? I can do big!"

Green Lantern: "You can't ask me to trigger a supernova and then contain it by sheer force of will!"

Batman: "The ring does do whatever you think? Trust me Green Lantern, and think big."

JLA:

Protex: "Batman! Batman! He's just a man!!!"

Superman (under his breath): "The most... uh... dangerous man on earth."

Martians: "What's that smell?"

Martians: (Surrounding Batman who has a match) "Are you going to stop us with that?"

Batman: (Dropping match into surrounding gasoline) "Hhh."

Aztek: "My suit's powered by a four dimensional battery. The only thing stopping that energy being unleashed here with a force greater than any weapon known to man is a little fader switch on my belt. Can you guess what I've just done?"

Prometheus: (Okay, not a hero!) "This disc contains the skills and abilities of 30 of the worlds greatest martial artists."

Batman: (Smiling) "Hhh."

Prometheus: "I don't know why your smiling. One of them is you."

Connor: (to Kyle) "I'm just a kid with a bow... what am I meant to do against someone like... I dunno, Darkseid."

Connor: (in the future facing off against Darkseid, having just fired the Atom on the back of a flare arrow through Darkseid's forcefield and into his brain) "He's in your brain you big ugly moron!!!"

Aztek: (Talking about disarming nuclear weapons on the Watchtower) "I had it down to 36 seconds by the last one."

J'onn: (Talking to girl with mind control powers, who stretched GL's will to breaking point) "You powers are of no use against a telepath with my mental shielding..." (and as she turns to Batman) "...and you'll find they are wasted on him."

Superman:

(Almost beaten by Silver Banshee, Master Jailer, Bizarro and some other guy) "Remember you friend Nuclon (or whatever! The living nuclear bomb guy)? Well I just used the last of my heat vision to nudge him out of orbit and on a direct collision course." (Cue prompt exit by aforementioned villains!)

Spiderman:

Hobgoblin: (About to strike the killing blow on a dazed and spider-senseless Spidey, he misses) "But... you could never have avoided that blow without your... your..."

Spidey: "C'mon blinky... say the magic word!!! Spider-sense!"

Mary Jane: (The middle of the night, Moon Knight has just called) "Not more Spidey action..."

Peter: "You weren't complaining about the Spidey-action you were getting a minute ago!"

Ultimate Secret:

Reed and Sue Richards are talking about why there aren't many intelligent communication capable species left in the galaxy, he's come to the conclusion the something wipes them out just at the critical point...

Reed: "Well, I suppose it could be the Chitauri. But come on, the Ultimates could beat the Lords of the Universe but they couldn't stop the Hulk from destroying Manhattan?"

Quite obviously...

Thing: It's Clobberin' Time!!!

Then there's...

Johnny Storm: Reed will explain it to everyone, and then he'll explain it again in one-syllable words so that the Thing can understand it.

Spiderman: With great power comes great responsibility!

"Last Superman annual before Crisis. Mongul invades the Fortress of Solitude and takes out Superman. Batman and Wonder Woman arrive for Supes' B-day.

(paraphrased) Mogul: "I understand that on this planet distinctions are made based on age and gender. So, to be polite, which of you should I kill first?"

(actually, that issue is not stop cool lines)"

Too true:

Superman pushed to his breaking point and about to unleash his heat vision in a blind fury: "BURN."

Mongul about to deliver the killing blow: "Happy Birthday Kryptonian. I give you oblivion."

Three superhero moments/speeches/lines that have stayed with me:

Issue 1 of the Squadron Supreme 12-issue limited series. Hyperion basically declares himself and the Squadron to be the government of the United States of America if not the world, and in his first speech he sets up the test by which his government can be measured, and potentially ejected from office. With fiery sincerity he announces it:

Hyperion: "In exchange for your utmost cooperation and support, we the Squadron Supreme hereby vow to you to solve all the problems known to men of all nations -- not just those brought on in recent days, but those known to man since time immemorial [...] We vow to eliminate hunger, poverty, war, crime, disease, pollution and oppression within - one year from tonight!"

Well-meaning hubris was never more clearly expressed. Hyperion thinks it would be wrong to hold back. With amazing power and simple goodwill, it'll all soon be fixed. Oh boy.

-

Nexus Legends issue 18: Kreed at the Gate! Nexus has decided to be left alone for while, and he leaves his friend the monstrous Kreed to guard the only gate to his private realm. Kreed takes his duty as seriously as possible. Until great Nexus decrees it, none may pass! Nexus' other friends decide, for good reasons, that they need to speak to Nexus. So, because of the loyalty and love that they share, Nexus' friends are on course for a terrible conflict.

It starts out lightly enough. In the wee small hours, Judah the Hammer (a superhero of sorts) wanders to the (only) gate, where Kreed stands watch. Judah sings to himself and pretends not to notice where he is going.

Judah: "... round round get around, I get around ... whoo-ommm ... Oh hi! How's it going?"

Kreed: "It goes away. None may enter."

Judah: "Didn't you do some pro wrestling, unlimited heavyweight? The Sirius circuit?"

Kreed: "No."

Judah: "Kreed, you know me -- I'm no loser or blob of dumb matter -- I'm a good friend of Nexus."

Kreed: "You used to be. I respect the Hammer. But none may enter."

Judah: "What if it were a matter of life and death?"

Kreed: "It is."

Progressively more savage violence soon breaks out. Neither side will be deterred from doing what they think is best for their friend, though they may have to hack each other to pieces.

Kreed's repeated line as Judah escalates the conflict: "Good for you. [for courage and doing what you think is the right thing] Bad for you. [because now this has to get even worse.]"

The best line was early on, before we get to fusion power, limb-loppings and gut-stabbings. Kreed is holding Judah's two arms with all four of his, and side-kicking Judah in the face, really hard:

"Long have I admired your skill, your courage and your eloquent language."

"Do not try it again. I don't wish to be remembered as the slayer of Judah Maccabee."

Classic stuff. Conflict between potty-mouthed thugs could never have achieved the same tragic effect.

-

Issue 10 of the Richard Corben series Children of Fire. Mal, the former intellectual wimp, sits on a beach in the wilderness. His friend, the mighty Kil (the superhero), is with him, but she is on a stretcher, recovering from a head wound, and as far as he knows still out cold. The speech I remember is two vital words.

Mal: "I promised you'd get well. I promised to help you find our people's last child. Fine promises made by a fool. But who will help me ... find Pucca [his kidnapped lady love, pregnant by him] ... kill the @$$hole that murdered her mother ... and keep my promises."

Kil (rolling partly onto her side): "I promise."

The story ends there. If you don't believe that Kil, having given her word, is going to keep on keeping on till the job is done, where were you in all the previous issues?

Favorite line from the Spider-Man movie:

Bonesaw: What're doin' up there?

Peter: Staying away from you....That's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?

And one of the best Batman moments was the note he left on several members of The Hyperclan after he took them out:

"I know your secret"

To elaborate on my three choices: I think a great speech involves a great conflict and serious consequences.

To drop the hammer on an outclassed opponent with a sharp, witty line is meritorious, certainly as opposed to doing the same thing in a crass or dumb fashion. But no such speeches make my list of gold - silver - bronze.

Empty talk doesn't cut it either, even on a grand occasion. For example Mace Windu announces in Star Wars: Episode Two: "This party is over!" It sounds "tough," and I have heard people call it a great line, but partly through Mr. Purple Lightsaber's own poor planning, the party was just getting started. So it wasn't a great speech in my book.

Hyperion's speech laid down a huge, morally grand, catastrophic challenge, and the rest of the series filled in the consequences of that challenge. It doesn't get better.

Kreed and Judah were ultimately as serious as it gets.

Kil was like a physically beautiful humanoid protector (as in Pak Protector, but less bright and more physical). She was going to protect that egg, and then the hatched egg: the last child. That inhuman, fanatical sense of duty defined her. For her to take on any other obligations was no light thing.

An old issue of Amazing Spiderman: Firelord comes to Manhattan because he's bored. Remembering a thing called "pizza" than Ben Grimm had introduced him to. He Melts the ovens with a blast of his rod and ends up having to fight Spidey.

When Spidey First shows up to a burning Pizzaria, " Hey, that was my favorite Pizza place!"

From The beginning of 'The Ultimate Six' spidey has just captures Sandman. "I think I got sand in my shorts"