Looking for an example of a Dragon Lady character from TV/Movies for a Pulp campaign.

KA.

I have been thinking of trying out a Pulp Hero campaign for my players.

Thanks to comic reprints, they are familiar with some of the genre staples:

Mad Scientists

Oriental Masterminds

Evil Mystics

But I can't find a good example of the "Dragon Lady" type.

The mysterious Oriental beauty that can go from stealing the Hero's secret plans, to becoming his love interest, to trying to poison him, all in one adventure.

I know I could probably dig up some books eventually, but players are never all that patient, so can anyone recommend any films or TV shows that might be available on video with a decent Dragon Lady?

Thanks in advance,

KA.

Re: Looking for an example of a Dragon Lady character from TV/Movies for a Pulp campaign.

If what you're looking for is an example of the character type that you can show around to your players so they know what to expect, the one that comes to my mind would be Fah Lo Suee (sp?), the daughter of Fu Manchu in Sax Rohmer's novel series. She was introduced and was the central character in Daughter of Fu Manchu. IIRC there was an old Hammer Studios film starring Christopher Lee as Fu Manchu in which Fah Lo Suee featured prominently. That might be on video somewhere.

Now if you want a character like that for your campaign, and you have or don't mind buying Digital Hero #2, you'll find the perfect one: Ma Lin Yao, the Jade Dragon Queen. She's exactly the kind of character you describe, designed to be a mastermind in a pulp-era campaign, and fully statted.

Re: Looking for an example of a Dragon Lady character from TV/Movies for a Pulp campa

the madame from the brothel

in big trouble in little china

stretching a little, but the naga in "the golden Child"?

I can't remember, was there a dragon lady type in Hawaii five o or Magnum PI?

Re: Looking for an example of a Dragon Lady character from TV/Movies for a Pulp campaign.

You also might want to track down copies of Terry and the Pirates reprints. They had a character called the Dragon Lady who was the basis for that character type.

You also might want to track down copies of Terry and the Pirates reprints. They had a character called the Dragon Lady who was the basis for that character type. I also beleve that there was a Terry and the Pirates serial, but do not remember if the Dragon Lady was one of the characters.

Maybe Bai Ling's character in "Sky Captain"? 'Mysterious Lady', I think she was. Might be a reach.

"Terry and the Pirates" (both a comic strip and a serial in the 30s/40s) had a character named "The Dragon Lady". The serial sucked, but the comic was way cool.

Lastly, I'd go with Lucy Liu's character in "Kill Bill Vol. 1". Not fully developed as a traditional plot device, and maybe a bit of a reach genre-wise, but she certainly fits the (potential) character type.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Major Tom

Let's see... some examples of Dragon Lady-type characters that come to mind

right now:

The Sarah Douglas character from Conan The Destroyer.

Princess Aura from the original Flash Gordon movie serials.

The Tia Carerra (not sure about the spelling) character from Kull The Conqueror

(at least until she turned into that butt-ugly demon toward the end of the

movie).

Major Tom :cool:

Re: Looking for an example of a Dragon Lady character from TV/Movies for a Pulp campa

If you're willing to look to sci-fi for an example, consider Servalan of Blakes 7. She fills all the characteristics to a tee, complete with a massive case of sexual tension between her and one of the lead characters (Avon) which is legendary to this day.

If the Doctor Who villainess the Rani had any sort of interest in men, she'd qualify.

Star Wars would have been improved immesnely by the addition of a character like that on the side of the Empire.

• 4 weeks later...