"Super Heroes" That your character doesn't/wouldn't like

Hermit

Defender sees Cavalier as a glory seeking sell out who's gotten his priorities all wrong about what it means to be a hero.

Cavalier sees Defender as a stuck up, self righteous, rich boy.

But hey, they're BOTH super heroes. They just rub each other the wrong way.

It's pretty clear they wouldn't be able to stand each other for long on the same team. From a game perspective, it just wouldn't be enjoayble play in the long term. In the short term however, it is interesting to see how they react, or what such guys think of each other.

So, what NPC superheroes, either homebrewed or official, would really get your characters' goat? Who would just annoy them no end and clash big league in a personal way, for whatever reason?

Re: "Super Heroes" That your character doesn't/wouldn't like

Defender sees Cavalier as a glory seeking sell out who's gotten his priorities all wrong about what it means to be a hero.

Cavalier sees Defender as a stuck up, self righteous, rich boy.

But hey, they're BOTH super heroes. They just rub each other the wrong way.

It's pretty clear they wouldn't be able to stand each other for long on the same team. From a game perspective, it just wouldn't be enjoayble play in the long term. In the short term however, it is interesting to see how they react, or what such guys think of each other.

So, what NPC superheroes, either homebrewed or official, would really get your characters' goat? Who would just annoy them no end and clash big league in a personal way, for whatever reason?

Champions U. or comics?

Champions U. or comics?

Well, I said either 'official' or homegrown, so was thinking either Champions Universe or stuff home grown in the campaigns you play in.

Though there's no reason not to throw in comic universe super heroes if you think it would be fun. :)

EDIT: Of course, now I realize I have at least three characters that would tell Batman (as he is often depicted in the comics) to kiss off.

Well, Badger would hate Superman (yes, gasp if you want). He would consider him a glory hog. And for Badger, the do-no-wrong boy scout %### would get old on him real quick. Though to understand, Badger is a reformed villain, who wants to avoid public attention (both due to personality and past, most times in post-battle when the press are going for the interviews, he's split). And believes to a certain extent the ends sometimes justify the means.

Would probably get along in some areas with Batman. They both have that "family's death" to share.

Would also likely hate a lot of teen heroes. As a lot of them have the "why me?" attitude. And lots of times question why should they should bother. Either fight or quit. Dont constantly b!!ch about it. Though teen heroes serious about the job, he would especially take it upon himself to mentor.

Hmmm... well, none of my PCs would ever get along with Wolverine as he's presently depicted in comics. The ones who are based on enough points to handle him might expose him to some serious 'beat down' for his homicidal and irresponsible behavior. ("Oh so you think you're a samurai or some such tripe? *SMACK!* That's for Northstar! *SMACK!* And that's for setting the comic-industry back a dozen years!!")

Hmmm... who else? Well, Batman would get a serious case of the 'stink eye' after his behavior in recent years. Generally most of my characters are pretty affable, friendly types... so the 'moody loners' would be viewed with suspicion, but tolerated well enough if they aren't homicidal maniacs (see above).

• Powerman: hated Ace for stealing his girl. That got played out ingame; as far as officials, he'd probably dislike Nighthawk for reminding him of Ace. He'd definately get tired of Archon and his arrogance (though it could be more of a 'that guy's powers are too similar to mine, we must fight to see who deserves his place in the CU Pantheon' kind of way in which, not to put too fine of a point on it, Archon would be searching for a new Universe to live in...

• Enforcer would find the bad attitudes if Nighthawk to be annoying but it wouldn't keep him from working with the man. On a similar note, if Enforcer was working with the JLA Batman would be someone he simply could not stand. And would be hard pressed not to seek ways to nullify the threat of the Bat. Not in a permanant, death kind of way, but in a counter intelligence, deprive Batgod of his best laid traps. Interestingly enough he could probably stomach the Batman from his own comics a bit better, see Nighthawk.

• Mantis would have issues with the way Saphire lives her life but not any antagonism. He'd probably find Nightwind to be flawed (since he carries a gun) but no less viable a superhero.

• Psi-Queen would find Solitaire too whiny and indecisice and Saphire too slutty and full of herself. She'd think Nighthawk was a big baby, Defender to be a bore, Kinetic to be too full of himself. Ironclad might be able to keep her attention with stories of interstellar life and perhaps some of his sculpture. But Psi-Queen is an arrogant, selfabsorbed bitch and she rarely works well with others for long.

Well, my PBEM character Sunknight does have some in-game concerns about some of his teammates. My character literally is a choir boy/eagle scout/paladin, and the sun does shine out of his @$$. I stopped short of the 15 pt Intolerant and 25 pt Self-righteous, but he does have strong social beliefs on right and wrong. So the gun-toting loners give him pause. And he's not sure what to think about the mechanical man. Does he actually have a soul or is he just an appliance? Should be fun to play out and overcome.

I have never made a character that could have associated with Wolverine before around X-Men 145. Of course they retconned him to make him the failed samurai even before that, but before the facelift it would have been like having a real wolverine on the team. Sometimes he fights the enemies, sometimes he turns and bites you and sometimes he goes off on his own and takes a nap. Who needs it? Here's your walking papers. Curse Logan for inspiring a million homage characters.

Even my non-awful good characters would have had problems with the vicious little runt. If you put two aggro characters in the same room, they are gonna fight just to see who wins. It would be like the Thunderbird-Wolverine rivalry all over again, and we know what happened to poor Thunderbird.

I rejoiced to see Booster Gold, of all people, take a shot at Batman in OMAC Project. That winged rat needs a boot in the butt. I know, he's been wronged but using that as justification for his actions just means that Batman is an accessory to murder instead of guilty of Murder One (poor Beetle.) Can I have my Jim Aparo Batman back please?

Well, while my characters have varied powers and personalities, the 20pt Code vs Killing is a standard for me, so 'antiheroes' of every stripe would be greatly hated. 'Thug' type tough-guy attitude-laden heroes like Nighthawk and Batman would be similarly disrespected.

Irving would be mighty uncomfortable with ends-justify-the-means types, be they Iron Age lay-down-the-smack types or Ozymandias.

Depending on how overanalytical the science types get (the gadgeteer in our party kept trying to see how Irving worked-- noninvasively, but he did come off as if he didn't quite think of Irving as anything but a clever toy) they may or may not grate on his nerves.

Otherwise, Irving's remarkably hard to upset and will probably get along well wtih just about everyone else.

Well, my PBEM character Sunknight does have some in-game concerns about some of his teammates. My character literally is a choir boy/eagle scout/paladin, and the sun does shine out of his @$$. I stopped short of the 15 pt Intolerant and 25 pt Self-righteous, but he does have strong social beliefs on right and wrong. So the gun-toting loners give him pause. And he's not sure what to think about the mechanical man. Does he actually have a soul or is he just an appliance? Should be fun to play out and overcome.

I have never made a character that could have associated with Wolverine before around X-Men 145. Of course they retconned him to make him the failed samurai even before that, but before the facelift it would have been like having a real wolverine on the team. Sometimes he fights the enemies, sometimes he turns and bites you and sometimes he goes off on his own and takes a nap. Who needs it? Here's your walking papers. Curse Logan for inspiring a million homage characters.

Even my non-awful good characters would have had problems with the vicious little runt. If you put two aggro characters in the same room, they are gonna fight just to see who wins. It would be like the Thunderbird-Wolverine rivalry all over again, and we know what happened to poor Thunderbird.

I rejoiced to see Booster Gold, of all people, take a shot at Batman in OMAC Project. That winged rat needs a boot in the butt. I know, he's been wronged but using that as justification for his actions just means that Batman is an accessory to murder instead of guilty of Murder One (poor Beetle.) Can I have my Jim Aparo Batman back please?

What issue of what Comic did Booster take a shot at Batman? I'd like to track that down...

Hard for me to judge the CU heroes, since I've never used them. Not even in cameos. So their personalities are a mystery to me, outside of what I read of people's opinions on the boards.

As for the home-grown heroes, Uncle Slam is sympathetic to anyone who has selected to promote the cause of justice; I can't think of anyone who he feels is beyond redemption among the vigilante set. Anthem strongly dislikes a young heroine named Blue Murder who has as much respect from her neighborhood as Anthem does from her own, but who gains the fear of villains through some vicious and possibly lethal tactics. Audra Blue is not a big fan of those who follow the letter of the law but ignore justice. She likes the people who get results even if everything wasn't necessarily on the up-and-up. This means there are at least two people in the base at the moment (Judge LAW and Mercury) who are too law-and-order for her taste, and from whom she must hide any "unusual" activities she might have.

So' date=' what NPC superheroes, either homebrewed or official, would really get your characters' goat? Who would just annoy them no end and clash big league in a personal way, for whatever reason?[/quote']

Well, Assault would clash with pretty much all of them. :)

Maybe not Kinetik, and some others.

He has particular problems with flagsuits, mystics and angst-mongers. About the only kind of mystics he would get along with would be John Constantine types. Well, some of the other flavours of trenchcoat mage too, perhaps. And he might get along better with Witchcraft if she was just a teensy bit more like her sister. :)

He could probably tolerate Ironclad. They wouldn't either clash or be particularly good friends.

Nighthawk: whiny. Defender: clown. Sapphire: Assault would ignore her, at least initially.

I guess Assault's just a bit of a pain.

On the other hand, he would get along with Shamrock very well. (Bring back Shamrock!!!) He would get along with a few other villains, too.

The only outright enmity that I can recall coming up was between London Pryde and the Profiteer. For those who don't have GURPS Mixed Doubles, Profiteer was a strictly-cash-up-front hero, who made a (very comfortable) living from superheroics and was kept on sizeable retainer by various enterprises and some wealthy individuals. That immediately cut up Tony Pryde, who by inclination and family history is pretty much the poster boy for 'service before self'. Tony had to bite his tongue pretty hard on the odd occasions when they were working the same incident - although he wasn't above taking advantage of the Profiteer's need to avoid bad PR (no good for business).

Unfortunately, things never got to the point where Profiteer realised that one of his clients was the Commander, one of the campaign's big bads (think Justin Hammer - or more accurately, the Ironmaster from Kingdom of Champions). I hadn't really decided whether Profiteer would act altruistically for once or say, 'Well, a contract's a contract...'

Most of them. Anyone who dresses up like a freak and takes the law into their own hands deserves a long stay in the psychiatric ward - alongside the other constumed freaks. Shock treatment for all of them!