Lack of Fully Developed Worlds

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lack of Fully Developed Worlds

What I'd like to see is Hero be a bit more open (open as in accessible and less prohibitive' date=' not open as in open-source or free) with a liscense to other developers who might wish to publish complete games using the Hero system. Such a game would be (relatively) self-contained, free from the Hero meta-setting, and have powers/abilities prebuilt with a definte and explainable design philosophy so the "list pickers" can have their day, too. Just require that the Hero 5ER book be required to play, and maybe recommend the appropriate genre books to the GM for additional ideas and inspiration. For example, a steampunk fantasy setting would have rules for character creation guidelines, race/profession templates, magic and technology rules with ALOT of prebuilt powers/abilties for each, equipment, and a whole bunch of basic world information. Thus, a group with this book and 5ER could jump right in to playing. Then, further sourcebooks could be made as necessary.[/quote']

In principle I'm right with you on this being a reasonable course for licensees to take. To some extent I saw this with The Kandris Seal, a mystic-superheroes campaign setting independent of HG's metaverse: prebuilt spells, items, creatures, character Package Deals and campaign-specific assumptions all built with orthodox HERO System.

Based on the above example, I'm not really sure whether the lack of such a product can be laid at DOJ's doorstep. Perhaps no-one has brought forth a solid proposal for such a book license yet. From all reports Hero Games is pretty reasonable in their licensing terms, and several publishers have already taken advantage of that.

But I do need to add one last thing, Hero really needs to step up the consistency of their art. Illustrations can add alot to the flavor of a book, and for some people, it draws them into a world more than anything else. I think Hero should take a look at White Wolf, or better yet, Dream Pod 9. These publishers tend to have a consistent art style within each book, and in some cases, each product line. Hero has some damned fine artists, it is just too bad their work is so often arranged in such a hodge podge manner, or paired of with some pretty bad pieces by the less skilled doodlers. And for Bob's sake, stop recycling the art book to book, or worse yet, in the same book. ugh.

nevereverend

Consistency is the key for me as well. The best art to appear in Hero books compares favorably with that in most other game publications, but it seems to me that increasingly that art is mixed in with illos which are technically inferior (a matter of execution rather than individual style). Pertinence to the topic discussed on the page the illo appears on seems to have slipped sometimes, too.

And yes, after you've bought a bunch of Hero books, seeing the same art over and over does start to become irritating. :(

I like HERO as it is. I never really ran somebody else's campaign world, but borrowed ideas or gained inspiration from them. But normally I have my own idea for a world and that is why Champions then GURPS then GOO and then finally HERO 5th has been my system of choice. I still buy from time to time books from other companies just for the information and any inspiration I might get (4 Sengoku books, tons of BESM Anime license books, etc). It is also the reason that I have a shelf of CU supplement even though I will never run in it. But I think a campaign world idea is a good one and I would be willing to contribute.

I agree with many things said here, and am going to have to stand behind Keyes_bill.

As for what the Killer Shrike (whom I have the utmost respect for since I began viewing his sight) said. I agree, I rarely use campaigns which have been pre-built, I don't like the constraints. But many many people do use them, they like to have things to spark their imagination.

It looks to me like we have a green light to create fan based sites, fan based information and post this information. I myself can see no reason why fan created worlds couldn't be taken and published by Hero if proper precautions were taken. What I mean is, from what I've read, many people here have some great ideas for a world, put them all together and see what comes out of it. If it is good enough, buy a license and publish it, if DOJ likes it, why not give it to them and let them publish it. We support them this way, and they are not out anything if it doesn't turn out.

Only thing I am not sure is how the take over would commense. I mean, if the thing is good, and it is good because of 5 - 20 users on this board, perhaps those users could get free copies, and access to keep making source material for the setting?

Something could definitely be worked out. I like the game system, it has it's quirks, but so does every system. I would be interested in helping just to make sure DOJ stays afloat.

PS. Writing this at work, so I started early this morning and ended this afternoon. If I repeat anyone else or am out of date with this I appologize.

Kuo Shu

I would have to disagree with the statement that most (or even half) of the players of the Hero System like to create their own worlds.

Just look at the listings of all the conversions people have created. All of the time and effort people have made. All to put Hero System rules into a WELL DEVELOPED SETTING. I'd say that just by looking at this list (just ask Question Man to put one up :) ) that fans are crying out for a good, solid, well developed setting... That uses the Hero System.

If most fans really wanted to make their own world then we would not be seeing as many conversions of other games/settings, to the Hero System.

Now I realize that developing such a popular setting takes a lot of time and money, but, if it was part of a long term plan then I would think that it would be worth it to Doj to invest in a solid, well flushed out, original setting.

One of the things that I have noticed over the years of playing with the Hero System and trying to woo new players over to our side, is that they LOVE character creation (once they figure out how it works). The ability to make whatever type of character you like (with in the genre being played) is wonderful to them, especially after playing most any other system. They also love the rules for combat, etc...

But the bloom is off the rose once they are forced out in to a world that they know nothing about.

Sure the GM might have spent a year building his own campaign world, but that doesn't mean much to most random players. Players want to see, feel, read the back of, and get excited about a setting/game and the best way to do this is to have and hold a source book. To see it in stores, to filp through and get ideas, etc... It is all well and good for a GM to have a three-ring binder full of data, but for players to get psyched they need to be able to see it, buy it, read about it online, take with other players, feel part of a large whole, get ideas, etc... And all of that comes from a great sytem (which Hero has) and a catchy, exciting, and well developed published setting (which it doesn't have (yet)).

Because it is players who love the setting/game who will eventually want to GM and will go on to buy all the books and run games, which will gather more players, who will want to GM... You get the point.

I my opinion, what the guys a Doj should think of doing, is creating an ORIGINAL setting (not a generic fantasy or sci-fi one. I mean I enjoy TE and Turakian but they are hardly ground breaking.) and using that setting to pull in new players, not because of the Hero System rules (which seems to be the main focus for some reason. It's like "hey, we're not D20. We're better. Come play with us. We may not have all the source books, but you can do what you want.").

I do not think D&D is so popular because of D20, people learned D20 because they wanted to play D&D. Traveller is going on it's 5th edition and it has changed it's rules a few times now, but there is just something about that setting that pulls people in to it (if you want to see crazy, dedicated fans, just look at some Travller websites.). Shadowrun has a big following, even though it's rules SUCK, because the setting is so well developed, flushed out. I mean, I still love to read the Shadowrun sourcebooks, even though I haven't played the game in years, just because the setting is so good.

And, for a final thought (sorry, this post went on longer then I thought it would) a lot of people seem to be bashing premade settings because they "limit" them and their ideas. I think this is totally wrong. A good setting gives the players and GM's an agreed upon "world" that they can act and react in. This prevents a GM from having a Mage toss fireball spells from his finger tips in a Travller campaign or a village guard using an AK-47 to mow down a team of adventures in D&D. In fact, wide open non-settings, are just an excuse for lazy GMing, "not sure how to mess with the PC's this week? Well, anything can happen...

Limits and a well built setting actually incourages creativity, rather then stiffle it because you can not do "whatever you want", but rather have to think and plan with in the rules and scope of the world.

SO, yes, I think Hero should come up with a focused, flagship setting.

Ok, I was definitely behind the times.

And I'll say it again. Throughout the posts I've been reading to try to catch up, people have been saying that Hero attracts people who want to make their own campaigns. I agree, it's why I came.

But it would attract more if there were more official publications out there.

My thought would be to have a site where multiple world ideas where going on at the same time, people could still pick and choose what they wanted, and perhaps some of those people who would rather play the game than have to make up every detail would use parts of each setting being designed, and/or one of the full worlds.

Again, I understand that most people here LOVE making it their own. But this is about spreading Hero to even those people who would just like to have the option of picking up a prebuilt world or prebuilt modules. There are a lot of those people out there I think.

Kuoshu

There's nothing wrong with liking settings. Many gamers don't have time to make their own; and we all purchase different settings searching for the glint of originality. The problem is the Hero settings are not that interesting or original, IMO. Terran Empire is a weak copy of Traveller. Alien Wars is a woefully underwritten copy of Starship Trooper. The Turakian Age strikes me as being extremely similar to Greyhawk [right down to the evil god of the north [iuz] and a main stand-alone city [Greyhawk]]. The Valdorian Age, also woefully underwritten, strikes me as being a copy of Thieve's World. The Champions Universe itself is a vanilla representation of Marvel and DC without the cream. A game world needs to be a balance between new and innovative and familiar. I get a lot of familiar from the various Hero settings but very little that is new or innovative, IMO.

One of the things that I have noticed over the years of playing with the Hero System and trying to woo new players over to our side, is that they LOVE character creation (once they figure out how it works). The ability to make whatever type of character you like (with in the genre being played) is wonderful to them, especially after playing most any other system. They also love the rules for combat, etc...

But the bloom is off the rose once they are forced out in to a world that they know nothing about.

Sure the GM might have spent a year building his own campaign world, but that doesn't mean much to most random players. Players want to see, feel, read the back of, and get excited about a setting/game and the best way to do this is to have and hold a source book. To see it in stores, to filp through and get ideas, etc... It is all well and good for a GM to have a three-ring binder full of data, but for players to get psyched they need to be able to see it, buy it, read about it online, take with other players, feel part of a large whole, get ideas, etc... And all of that comes from a great sytem (which Hero has) and a catchy, exciting, and well developed published setting (which it doesn't have (yet)).

I basically agree with that statement.

A pre-built world is not so much there to for the GM (or to limit the GM), but rather to give the players something to "lock onto."

To a certain extent I agree with the way this thread is heading. I would really like for HERO to put out a product that told me exactly what a character could and couldn't do, not surrounded by qualifiers...

"Normally, charcters in this setting will be 150 pt characters. DCs will be from XX-XY, APs for XY-YZ, Spd 2-4, etc. If you want a low powered game, then characters would be 50-100 pts. DCs will be...high powered, then..."

Most other "Settings" don't work like that. That makes things very unclear for a player new to the setting, much less the game. I'd like HERO to try listing exactly the options that were available for a setting.

1) points for starting characters,

2) exact character "types" that are common, with package deals,

3) The spells that are available,

4) talents that are available,

5) skills available,

6) anything else that's setting specific (hit location? bleeding? etc...)

HERO has so many options that it is daunting for me to think about a new setting, and I've been around the game for...gulp...15 years. Making it easy to get started and easier to grasp would go a long way for new players. And the old timers like me can still tweak to our hearts contents.

Maybe this goes back to the old "hiding" of the mechanics we talked about a while ago. Balance all the powers (spells), abilities, weapons, etc., then just list what they do and hide the number crunching. Give the players and GM an actual finished product that isn't a long word problem. It would do 2 things. Be a lot easier to understand for newbies, and allow HERO to replace long jargon write-ups with flavorful descriptions. Well, that's my 2 bits...

I do not believe that all attempts at converting things to Hero is due to the lack of a setting for Hero. The reason that coversions is common is that it's possible to easily convert things into a coherent transparent system. Among my friends, we can watch any movie and convert them on the spot to Hero. If I wanted to do this with another system that uses a twenty sided die as its base mechanic, I'll have to come up all sorts of prestige classes, feats, and unique races/beings with no firm guidelines.

In many games, the base mechanics of an RPG is like that of a black box. How did the D&D designers make fireball vs burning hands when both are nearly the same except for size and damage? In Hero, I can look at the power I see how it all was formed together, a fireball is either a KA or EB with AoE radius on it while burning hands is the same with disadvantage (only half circle). In other RPGs, I have a feeling they made stuff via dartboard such as the brokenness of the Smartlink in Shadowrun.

As for setting, I've found myself so radically altering setting so many times due to all the crazy things in it that a well-supported setting can mean more work for me in the long run.

While entertaining to read, the Shadowrun universe has problems such as the fact if something is important to hire shadowrunners, it's important enough not to hire shadowrunners, its history, the problem with insanely cheap firepower, and really bad interior architecture (you have to walk though the bedroom to get to the living room?).

The WoD has all sorts of issues. Many things such that in most games, people not knowing about vampires and the supernatural is given not earned either though innate ability or widespread idiocy among NPCs. Another issue is that there are a ton of things that vampires and werewolfs can do like blood bonding and breeding metis that isn't done very often "because they don't" even when it makes sense with all that is given. Mage suffers a problem of "cool setting but what am I suppose to do?"

There are really nice settings like Legend of the Five Rings's Rokugan and Earthdawn. I never did mess around with D&D's settings very much so I can't say much there. But for the most part, if I want to have problems with my settings, I'll like them to be my mistakes. That way, either I can argue why that is the case or fix it without worrying about some sort of metaverse.

In my experience' date=' hero has tended to attract those gamers more interested in "doing it themselves". By this, I mean gamers who prefer to make their world, characters, powers, etc to match their own ideas and not simple pulled from a list or withing a limited range of selections withing a bland cookie cutter. I'm certainly of this type -- I get downright pissed off and feel insulted by books such as what White Wolf produces, wherein everything is spoonfed to the GM and players. TSuch games are, IMO, [b']overproduced[/b].

nevereverend

Agreed. I just got my game group to switch from 3.5 Forgotten Realms to Fantay Hero my own world for this reason. I had too many ideas that didn't work in D&D but I can create them in Fantasy Hero.

As someone said before in this thread Hero is toolset that we can use. I love all the setting books, genre books and ultimate books. Not because I will use them for their own sake but because they are jumping off points for my own ideas. I have books shelves of gaming books (to my wife's chargrin) of systems that I will never play. But I use them all the time for new ideas.

Maybe DOJ has tried to do a little too much with all the genre books, but it is their company and their system. Will they support them all for all time. No. Do they need to. No. But that is okay because they have given us the tools to support them ourselves. And that is what I love about Hero. If another book was never published by DOJ (may all the gods of all the dimensions prevent this) Hero would not go away. The fan base is too loyal and to creative to let it fade away. Look at the years before DOJ rescued it. While there may not have been any books coming out I still ran Champions. And the support on the web continued.

As the great Nightwing once said, "The JLA is a team. The Titans are a family." Hero is more than a product that DOJ puts out. This is the only game system that I know of that has this much support, dedication, and loyalty. Sure you can find a million websites for *** stuff. But where can you talk the line editor of the whole company every Thursday night? Where can you email the software designer with a question and usualy have an answer within, not days, or even hours, but usually minutes.

Hero is a family. Pure and simple. And families have issues, but overall I would rather use a system that lets me do what I want, when I want, and how I want.

It's not a question of love. No one here is putting the Hero System down, or complaining about the people who create it. Rather we are trying to come up with ways that it might be more succesful, more popular.

I hate going into local game stores and and seeing walls of D&D crap for sale, but that same store only has one copy of the main Hero System book sale, and that's it for HeroSystem stuff.

I hate that when I put up a post on the local gaming site looking for games/players for the HeroSystem (any genre) and it gets no reponces excpet: "Do they still make that game?"; meanwhile there are litterly hundreds of D&D games going on, and many more players then there are GM's to judge them.

I mean this, to me, means that there is something wrong. What is it that D&D has that the HeroSystem doesn't? Or the WoD system?

Is it better rules? No.

Easier to understand/learn? No.

Money/Advertising? Well, in the case of WoC, yes, but WoD? White-Wolf was tiny when it started out, but look where it went. So money can not be the sole reason.

So, what are we left with?

Setting. Concept. Something the average gamer can see and rally around. Get excited about. Just because a lot of people on this site, love the free form, do what you want, build what you want, way of doing things does not mean that everyone does. If that was the case, then Hero would be the biggest game around.

A well developed Setting would not take away your freedom, you could still do what you want, play what you want. But it just might bring more players to the Hero game line and lead to more source books that you can use in your own personal game.

ravenspath mentioned family, and true it can feel that way around here, but as in any family (it would be hoped) the members try and look out for each other, help each other, and point out errors and mistakes (plus rag on each other from time to time). That's what makes it a family.

And I think that is what this thread is ultimately about. How can we help the family and make it grow and prosper.

The question becomes, and this is serious, do you want Hero to be "popular" more then you want it to retain what makes its unique? DOJ is a small company. If they start putting their focus, time and cash into a single setting to "fully" develop it in a way similar to the WOD and D and D, that's going to mean more or less not doing anything else but that setting. The genre books and more general use sourcebooks would be lost for the next book "fleshing out" the house setting. Hero could "go back" to being just Champions, but then the generic nature of the game would slowly be lost as it would become known as "just" a superhero platform. Some people consider that a good thing, others do not.

Personally, I think the conversions to Hero don't indicate that it deserpately needs a setting but that people prefer that Hero engine for their games than the setting original one. GURPS has settings aplently and people still convert to it because they like the mechanics better.

There's also the very real possibility the the Setting might tank horribly (and lets be honest, Hero fans are finicky), then you've failed to gain new fans and at least partially alieniated much your core fanbase.

ravenspath mentioned family, and true it can feel that way around here, but as in any family (it would be hoped) the members try and look out for each other, help each other, and point out errors and mistakes (plus rag on each other from time to time). That's what makes it a family.

And I think that is what this thread is ultimately about. How can we help the family and make it grow and prosper.

I couldn't agree more. It is a family and there is always disagreements in families. And it is working through those issues that helps families grow closer and stronger.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Hero had a larger following also. I know what you mean about not finding people to game with. And part of that may be the "setting" issue. WOD was mentioned as a setting. And while I do see it as a setting I see it more comparable to Hero the D&D. I have run numerous Mage games and never used their characters or plot lines. I made my own.

And I love published worlds. I think one of the biggest tragedies in gaming was the loss of Al-Qadim. I feel that is the best D&D world ever created. There is a path where we can find the balance of published game world & support with the home grown world that many of us love to create.

I have no doubt that we will find that balance as we continue to discuss, create, cognate and most of all have fun with our gaming.

I won't say I wouldn't enjoy it if Hero was more popular. If there were two shelves of Hero products instead of one at my game store and DOJ was wealthy enough to afford to liscence popular franchises like Stargate and the New Battlestar Galactica so we could get sleek glossy color books with Hero material in them.

I am more concerned though with, addmitedly self centered, desire for it to retain the things that brought me to it and keeps me a loyal customer. The Toolkit approach. And I don't see DOJ, as it currently stands, being able to reasonbly support both. That's all I mean.

Hero is going nowhere. I enjoy it, but it is NOT expanding. There is nothing shiny and marketable about it to the general gaming public. Sad, but true. I'll continue to buy everything that comes out, but more out of nostalgia than anything else.

All right, lets keep this positive. What would YOU (general you, addressed to the thread) to save Hero? You can do anything you want to whatever extent you want, no matter what anyone else thinks. What is a fool proof plan to make Hero a marketable game?

Edit:removed quote since I wasn't addressing anyone specific.

Edit2: To cut out some possibly inflammatory language.

I couldn't agree more. It is a family and there is always disagreements in families. And it is working through those issues that helps families grow closer and stronger.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Hero had a larger following also. I know what you mean about not finding people to game with. And part of that may be the "setting" issue. WOD was mentioned as a setting. And while I do see it as a setting I see it more comparable to Hero the D&D. I have run numerous Mage games and never used their characters or plot lines. I made my own.

And I love published worlds. I think one of the biggest tragedies in gaming was the loss of Al-Qadim. I feel that is the best D&D world ever created. There is a path where we can find the balance of published game world & support with the home grown world that many of us love to create.

I have no doubt that we will find that balance as we continue to discuss, create, cognate and most of all have fun with our gaming.

My comparison between WOD and Hero was to outline the intrinsic differences. WOD games are simpler to build even when you want to make all of your own characters and use none of the provided ones from WOD. Also WOD has the advantage of the campaign setting require the "supernatural" of the world to remain in the shadows set on Earth. That makes games fairly easy to design if the GM prefers a simple approach.

If you wanted to design the entire campaign world in a quick nutshell, you can take major cities, write down the clan of the ruling prince's clan and whether he is good evil or whatever. You don't need to detail with names and powers until the players decide to go to the city and be introduced or plot indicates you reveal such information.

In Hero, where Superheroes are public, if you want the same cursory glance of the campaign world you need to know the name of the team the members in the cities and basic powers. You don't need to write them up, but you are looking at almost fifty times the work you would spend on a Vampire game.

But I think that in this thread the answer has been touched upon. It shouldn't be DOJ's responsibility to provide us the detailed campaign settings that lure gamers. After all, they already provide us with everything. I think it that we, the players, should be providing it. Imagine just for a moment what a website would look like with every Villain, Hero, and NPC ever created for a 5th Edition game available. It would be an absolute treasure trove for a GM.

So I think the solution for the problem, is a better effort by players to establish the game system in a way that their are bountiful resources available to players and yet at the same time, not take away from the gaming materials provided by Hero Games so that they can continue to earn the profit necessary to put out more game systems.

OK, mark me down with the "I play Hero because I like making up my own world" camp. To me, that's at least half the fun of gaming. But I also know that I am NOT the typical gamer. (I also could care less about artwork, but I'm clearly in the minority there as well.) :)

Since moving to Denver last year, most of the gamers I've met play *** fairly exclusively, with exceptions only for TV/movie-based games like Buffy or Trek. The vast majority of them hate the *** system itself, but they play it because they like the settings that are available. (Arcanis and Greyhawk seem to be very popular around here.)

And they like modules. Not just well-developed worlds, but modules. Crack-'em-open-read-it-through-twice-and-you're-ready-to-DM modules. Personally, I hate modules: always have, always will. But as pointed out, a lot of people have neither the time nor the inclination to spend hours writing up their own scenarios. (And even I have to admit I've run some great adventures from modules - after heavy doctoring, of course.)

Now, having never worked in the gaming industry I have no idea what the economics are, ie - how many modules you have to sell to make money. But they sure seem to be making money - and buzz - for a lot of other companies. (I'm thinking mostly of the Living _____ campaigns.)

Anyway, my bottom line? I agree that having inventive, well-developed worlds with ready-made adventures could potentially be a great selling point for Hero, especially with new gamers. I think Bill's idea of putting together a fan-created world is a great idea that won't cost DOJ a nickel. So definitely count me in! My only concern is that design-by-committee isn't usually a recipe for originality. But if we're agreed that we're going to take Bill's world and build on it, we can hopefully avoid this 10' pit.

bigdamnhero

"I've always felt that if people can't communicate, they least they can do is to shut up."

So I think the solution for the problem' date=' is a better effort by players to establish the game system in a way that their are bountiful resources available to players and yet at the same time, not take away from the gaming materials provided by Hero Games so that they can continue to earn the profit necessary to put out more game systems.[/quote']

I do what I can with my site. A lot of the stuff on my website deals with things HERO has no interested in but many gamers like. I'd like to think it shows the flexibility of HERO as you can find characters of all shapes, sizes, and power levels. The one thing I need to do is convert more of my articles to 5th Edition, and this provide more ready-made source material for new people.

Oh, and I do take donations, in case anyone wanted to submit their work and didn't have a site of their own.

Imagine just for a moment what a website would look like with every Villain' date=' Hero, and NPC ever created for a 5th Edition game available. It would be an absolute treasure trove for a GM.[/quote']

A treasure trove for a GM. Financial ruin for DOJ. Hero Games makes money by selling supplements not by selling 5Er.