New Avengers?

hooligan x

Re: New Avengers?

It's sad, but I agree. If someone made a comic that was nothing but "Spidey pwns Wolverine greatest hits" I would be tempted to buy it :D

BTW, for those who want to be spoiled on the incident I'm talking about, someone scanned a page at superhero hype

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6315723&postcount=20

Now THAT's funny!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THAT's funny!

Something Wolvie should of learned about in his long years of living...you never, NEVER insult someone's sinifigent other in frount of the person who is the other's sinifigent. (Or, in beter words, you never insult someone's wife/husban in frount of there husban/wife)

Serves him right.

I agree that Astonishing X-Men is top notch it brought me back to the book and actually made me like the characters again.

I really wish that Marvel would just STOP with the over exposure of Wolverine.

Tired and annoying marketing device. Sales flag in a book, quick add Wolverine!

Now, as for the New Avengers....(Blinks at the screen)....

Everyone hated me on this thing previously for daring to not like Battle Star Galactica...You can all hate me for Not likeing the new Avengers one bit.

Line up and form a Que if you like.

I like "Powers" by Bendis I collect it and enjoy it thoroughly.

If I could stomach the art on Daredevil I think I would collect that too.

As for the "New" Avengers.

My gripe about "I know! Let's cancel a comic and restart it at #1" aside.

Along with the Death and now apparent resurection of Hawkeye....

My biggest gripe about the team is Spiderman.

He shouldn't be there, in my opinion.

He can hang with the big boys there is no doubt. But the Feel of the character his roots are the streets. Helping the Little guy out instead of tussling with Count Nefarious or Ultron. He's the wild card that shows up and saves the day.

Not the Comedy relief he was portrayed in the first 6 issues of the series.

Yeah, he cracks wise to set his Enemies on edge but the guy has earned at least some respect. So why is he made the Clown?

I have no problem with Spiderwoman, Captain America, Iron Man, or Luke Cage.

Uh...Sentry? Introduced in a Mini-Series and correct me if I am wrong ( like I know you want to) Did the Mini Series really do any decent sales?

You know what? You want to suddenly shunt in a character and make him Marvel's answer to Superman fine. But lets not pretend Bendis isnt' force feeding that concept to us. Sentry? Who freakin' cares.

Wolverine: As it was previously mentioned in another reply. How many FREAKIN teams can they toss this overused twit on?

Although as an aside....I want to see Wolverine guest star in Archie...

I mean they had the Punisher do it. Why not? Heh.

Now twit? Okay, maybe not so much. As with any character if they are written well then its forgivable, but he isn't really written well here.

I too miss Samurai Wolverine. Wolverine that wasn't made to be the *** of the team.

Please...Wolverine is the "IT" factor for the New Avengers?

He's this Generations answer to Captain America?

Bendis actually thinks we will buy this?

What part of Wolverine is desirable or even admirable except for the fact that his Healing factor can keep him from picking up any STD's.

Ugh...

I did like the art though.

And I feel bad for J.M.S. on Amazing Spiderman doing his best to make Lemonade out of Lemons. I just can't read that book anymore.

Thankfully he still is writing Supreme Powers, and now the Fantastic Four.

I think I'm done. Quick I voiced an opinion.

Bring the Sarcastic hate laced replies.

Which shows everybody how much better a writer Peter David is.He initially hated the character of the Hulk when he first took over the book' date='yet his run is now considered the definitive version of the series.[/quote']

So why would he take the reigns of a character he hated?

Personally I like New Avengers run. There' s a lot of thinking going on inside the book. Old plots that Marvel never use to touch on are finally getting looked at.

Capt. America dealing with the mutant issue.

Spiderman getting more props from the heavyhitters. Capt/Wolve already know he's good in a pinch but honestly if you were going to have an Avengers with Luke Cage, Spiderwoman, etc...you'd need Spidy to balance them out.

I just hope they get off of some of the overdone tropes they've been playing on. Super loosing he secret idenity, EVIL government conspiracy (with suprise twist...Spiderwomans involvement in this is a bit tiresome.)

Etc.

Btw, if you measure in Tbots, New Avengers, Young Avengers, New Xmen...it's a good time to be a Marvel reader.

Wouldn't you love to get control of some characters you hate?

I know I would... :eg:

I would love to get my hands on (I'm going to get creamed for this)....

Superman. I hate Superman.

next he's telling spiderman he doesn't like him??

Spidey and Wolerine have never got along.

Agreed. I kind of LIKE Samuraii Logan' date=' loved the mini series with Claremont and Miller that showed him as such. Beserker wolverine was okay in his day, but lately it seems he's coming second to batman in needing to read "How to win friends and influence people"[/quote']

My theory is Jean's death is making him pissy, it's really gotten bad since she died. We'll have to wait and see what happens when she comes back.

Perhaps for the challenge

Perhaps for the money

Perhaps to improve said character

Perhaps so he could make said character suffer...

We may never know :)

That's kind of my point, the last reason is probably one of the few reasons I'd work on a Punisher book, actually the LAST Punisher book, because I would kill him.

But if it were a charater that I thought could be something, I don't know. Saying I hated it before I took it over, that's ego building.

I think most agree with you, Rik. Bendis could have put together a better team out of all the characters Marvel owns. Someone pointed out that he only likes to use certain characters for whatever reason.

CES

You're absolutely right, Spider Woman and Luke Cage being used in the Alias series was perfect, but now Bendis has the "New" Avengers and he is stuffing the team full of his favourites. I am not a huge Wolvie fan or Spiderman for that matter but loved the way Bendis was writing Cage and Spidrwoman. I just wish they were back in Alias (and not the lame "Pulse" that the series turned into), and really do you need two spider people on one team?

You're absolutely right' date=' Spider Woman and Luke Cage being used in the Alias series was perfect, but now Bendis has the "New" Avengers and he is stuffing the team full of his favourites. I am not a huge Wolvie fan or Spiderman for that matter but loved the way Bendis was writing Cage and Spidrwoman. I just wish they were back in Alias (and not the lame "Pulse" that the series turned into), and really do you need two spider people on one team?[/quote']

This is SOP for Avengers. I can't recall a writer who took over the series and didn't immediately bring in his favorite Avengers. Bendis just widen his search to include non-avengers. Which is not entirely unheard of either.

This is SOP for Avengers. I can't recall a writer who took over the series and didn't immediately bring in his favorite Avengers. Bendis just widen his search to include non-avengers. Which is not entirely unheard of either.

Can you imagine the outrage that would have occured if the team had been reduced to 3 former criminals and Cap?

;)

Here's the thing I don't like about the New Avengers: it's sloppy team building.

Look at their roster. Do they have a mentalist? No. Do they have a mystic? A speedster? Shapshifter? No. They have heavy hitters, but nothing really unusual. They'll do fine in most head on fights, but that's all they can do!

They really only two-three heavy hitters at that (Sentry, Iron Man, and Spider Man.) If you have the sheer power to knock those three out, You can walk over the rest of the team.

I know, I know. Captain America is the best at what he does, and so is Wolverine, but if I blow the crap out of Sentry, I am not too worried about these two.

CES

They really only two-three heavy hitters at that (Sentry' date=' Iron Man, and Spider Man.) If you have the sheer power to knock those three out, You can walk over the rest of the team.[/quote']

This was never a problem with the old lineups....

Like Thor, Iron Man, Cap, Wasp and Giant-Man :rolleyes:

Well, at least they killed off Hawkeye - after all, who's going to take out Thor/Sentry, Iron Man and Captain America and then be worried about [sneer] Hawkeye [/sneer], right?

Here's the thing I don't like about the New Avengers: it's sloppy team building.

By whom? The team themselves? Can they send out a "Help Wanted" ad? "Shapeshifter required for Superteam. Must be experienced. Please provide references and Hunteds list. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates under consideration will be considered."

Maybe they should actively recruit members, but that's not the same book as "here are some characters thrown together by circumstances to deal with threats as they arise".

Look at their roster. Do they have a mentalist? No. Do they have a mystic? A speedster? Shapshifter? No. They have heavy hitters' date=' but nothing really unusual. They'll do fine in most head on fights, but that's all they can do![/quote']

The deus ex machina of always having the character on the team whose powers are just right to fix the problem seems to me to be lazy writing. Perhaps, sometimes, the heroes should have to use their brains to figure out a way to defeat the villain, not just to assess which multipower slot would work best.

This was never a problem with the old lineups....

Like Thor, Iron Man, Cap, Wasp and Giant-Man :rolleyes:

Well, at least they killed off Hawkeye - after all, who's going to take out Thor/Sentry, Iron Man and Captain America and then be worried about [sneer] Hawkeye [/sneer], right?

The Avengers have always had a wild card member in their line ups. Usually that was someone like the Scarlet Witch or Hawkeye.

One could change probabilities to suit. The other had an arrow for any situation.

The death of Hawkeye as presented was kind of poor. At least they brought him back only like 6 months later, instead of 20 years.

CES

By whom? The team themselves? Can they send out a "Help Wanted" ad? "Shapeshifter required for Superteam. Must be experienced. Please provide references and Hunteds list. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates under consideration will be considered."

Maybe they should actively recruit members, but that's not the same book as "here are some characters thrown together by circumstances to deal with threats as they arise".

The deus ex machina of always having the character on the team whose powers are just right to fix the problem seems to me to be lazy writing. Perhaps, sometimes, the heroes should have to use their brains to figure out a way to defeat the villain, not just to assess which multipower slot would work best.

Remember what happened in the Goverment years. The Falcon had to be recruited to meet the EEOC guidelines.

CES