What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Calling All Stations - Genesis

I loved that album. Highly underrated, IMHO. It's worth the price or admission just for Mike Rutherford's guitar riff that opens the album. Doesn't sound like anything else I've ever heard from Genesis.

Repped, of course.

Some guy on Coast to Coast predicting a complete and total economic collapse of the United States. Hasn't quite gotten to food riots or millions dead from starvation yet' date=' but I can see where this is going.[/quote']

And that's his idea of a utopia....

Probably so. To cheer myself up' date=' I threw on Mozart's Requiem, followed by Hurt (Johnny Cash version) and Like a Stone from Audioslave. All of them were much more positive in spirit. :)[/quote']

Given that "Hurt" is about an addict finally coming to realize the harm he does to those who love him -- the first step towards recovery -- I would agree with it being more positive. Positive change is never painless.

First movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony, performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner. It was originally recorded for RCA's "Living Stereo" series, and sounds amazingly good for a 50+ year old recording. This is a re-release on hybrid SACD, and I'm listening to the original 3-channel* engineer's recording, from which the original LP was then mixed to stereo.

JoeG

*Left front, Center, Right front.

Probably poor merchandising. Until this thread, I'd never heard of SACD - and if they never bothered to extend their sales scheme to Australia, another English-speaking country, I don't see how they could have gotten the word out enough to make it a contender.

Currently: The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether By the Alan Parsons Project, off Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

Why did SACD become another Betamax?

Poor marketing on the part of Sony. Few people realize that if they have a first or second generation PS3, it'll play SACD, or that the newest Blu-Ray players and all in one surround systems from Sony will as well. Heck, lots of people have the 30th anniversary edition disc of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (stained glass prism cover), and don't realize that there's a SACD layer on the disc that has it mixed in 5.1 surround. SACD disc sales are also stronger in Europe, mainly due to sales of Classical.

DVD-Audio's actually in a worse position, as it's frequently only put into car decks now, and their hybrid format (Dual Disc) was often too thick to fit into slot loaders. Most recent DVD-Audio releases also include separate CDs (like Rush's remastered Moving Pictures, and the three DVD-A albums in the Sector boxes). Some discs, like the DVDs in the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here Immersion boxes are not actually DVD-A, but are just standard DVD-Video discs for compatibility.

Now playing: "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" by Pink Floyd, from Atom Heart Mother.

JoeG

Probably poor merchandising. Until this thread, I'd never heard of SACD - and if they never bothered to extend their sales scheme to Australia, another English-speaking country, I don't see how they could have gotten the word out enough to make it a contender.

Currently: The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether By the Alan Parsons Project, off Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

A quick search of "SACD Australia" on Google turned up many shops catering mainly to audiophiles. So, it looks like it was marketed there, just not very well.

JoeG