What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Few musical works convey melancholy quite the way the Adagio for Strings does. One of the initial performances of this work, if I recall correctly, was at the funeral for Franklin Roosevelt. It is also featured prominently on the soundtrack of Oliver Stone's breakthrough Vietnam film Platoon.

Few musical works convey melancholy quite the way the Adagio for Strings does. One of the initial performances of this work, if I recall correctly, was at the funeral for Franklin Roosevelt. It is also featured prominently on the soundtrack of Oliver Stone's breakthrough Vietnam film Platoon.

Another Vietnam War movie with good music.

Is that sarcasm?

Where are they from?

Actually it is a good question because they are not Japanese despite the song being in Japanese and me, a guy with an interest in Japan, posting it.

Itsalways: They are a Korean group but they have become extremely popular in Japan and have released several songs (a couple albums, I think) in Japanese.

La Rose.

No' date=' sarcasm would have been "Not another Eurovision Song Contest winner!"[/quote']

The campy movie, "The Apple"* always comes to mind when someone mentions the Eurovision Song Contest.

And appropriately enough, my music player just switched to "Gone Hollywood" by Supertramp.

JoeG

*It makes "Xanadu" look like high art.

"Lion of Symmetry", sung by Toyah, from the Tony Banks album, Soundtracks.

I've been ripping many of my CDs again into FLAC so I'd have a clear copy for my library. My tool of choice for the ripping has been dBpoweramp, mainly because of the Accuraterip tools. It usually rips most albums in a few minutes, and checks the final results against a database to certify the results. So, I grabbed a bunch of Tony Banks* albums to rip tonight, and ran into a little issue. Pulling out the disc from the jewel case, I noticed that the label side had a bronze appearance. Checking the hub for the manufacturer, my heart sank as I saw the letters "PDO". There was a bad formulation of lacquer used on a whole bunch of discs manufactured by PDO in England, around the late 80s/early 90s, which allows the aluminum layer to react with the acid in the paper of the tray insert and liner notes. The result, which hit my Monty Python Final Rip-off set a few years ago, is static and pops like what you'd get with a damaged LP record. The tracks generally start to fail from the outer edge inward, meaning that the beginning of an album may be fine, but the noise will get progressively worse as it plays. And sure enough, at about the half-way point, dBpowertools started reverting to error recovery mode. I gave up on the process with three tracks to go, and an hour elapsed, as it became increasingly obvious that the resulting tracks were going to be too damaged to play.

Thankfully, I'd made a backup image of the album, back when I still used a MiniDisc as my portable device. A workaround for Sony's horrible OpenMG jukebox was to use Nero's Image Drive and a disc transfer tool to bypass OpenMG, especially if you were moving MP3 files to the player. One burned copy later, I was able to rip an undamaged copy in a couple of minutes.

I guess it's not too bad to have only 2 CD albums that are unplayable in a collection that spans 25 years.

JoeG

*Tony Banks is the keyboardist for Genesis.

I ran into a CNN mention of a song called "Friday" from a wannabe teen-pop idol named Rebecca Brooks that has earned a large degree of infamy. I saw the video, which has invoked in me a profound desire to exterminate homo sapiens to the last infant. IF this is the generation we are gong to hand the world over to, global thermonuclear war couldn't possibly come fast enough.

I ran into a CNN mention of a song called "Friday" from a wannabe teen-pop idol named Rebecca Brooks that has earned a large degree of infamy. I saw the video' date=' which has invoked in me a profound desire to exterminate [i']homo sapiens[/i] to the last infant. IF this is the generation we are gong to hand the world over to, global thermonuclear war couldn't possibly come fast enough.

You didn't include a link, so I Googled it.

Well. That was bad. Inane lyrics. Generic background music. An AutoTuned voice that still sounds bad. A confusing rap interlude. It's really puzzling why it didn't chart higher than 58 on the Billboard Top 100, as it fits the formula for a hit very closely.

Oh, and to wash the droning sound out of my head, I'm now listening to "Good Day Sunshine" by the Beatles.

JoeG