What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

I figured Ternaugh would get a kick out of seeing vintage (yet then-bleeding edge) 1980s Compact Disc Player tech in action.

It's a beautiful unit, and would have been way out of my price range at the time.

Slave to the Rhythm was produced by Trevor Horn, who was also one of the co-writers. The intro voice is actor Ian McShane:

19 hours ago, FireTiger said:

"Ironic" - Alanis Morissette - Custom minidisc track 01 of (74).  

(Some work is being done at or near this complex, which means I've been hearing the construction vehicle reversing BEEP-BEEP-BEEP all day today.  I have a noise-cancelling headset plugged into a minidisc Walkman in self defense.)

My project last weekend was to see if I could get Sony Connect software to work on a computer running Windows 10 64-bit, so that I could move tracks to minidisc. Sony stopped developing the software sometime in 2006, so there's no Sony-provided drivers for any OS past XP 32-bit. That meant turning off signed driver protection for one boot cycle to install the (fan-made) netMD driver, and I didn't want to risk it on my gaming rig or my laptop, so I decided to dust off a very old PC of mine. After several hours of tinkering, I was able to transfer tracks over to one of my HiMD recorders*, and then play the disc back on one of my MZ-N505 units. Sound quality was very good, even in LP2 mode converted from MP3. The tracks were from Animal Logic's first album, and there were a couple of classical albums already on the disc.

The computer I used is running a first-generation Core 2 Duo desktop (1.8 GHz, 2 cores, no HyperThreading), and I've been slowly bringing it up from Windows 10 1607. It's at 1903 now, and I'm fighting it to see if we can get it to a supported version of Windows 10. I don't think that I ever upgraded to an SSD for the boot drive, and it feels extremely slow, especially compared to my modern gaming rig.

*I have a couple of the HiMD Walkmans that had OLED screens, which are now completely unreadable due to fade. They are really only usable for playback with one of the wired remotes. They do, however, allow transfers to MiniDisc using power from a USB connection, so I don't have to find one of the wall power supplies like I would with my other HiMD or the two MZ-N505 units I have. All of my MiniDisc stuff got boxed about the time I bought my iPod Classic 160GB unit in 2007, but I bring it out every once in a while to tinker. The iPod's been upgraded with Rockbox, so it now plays FLAC files directly, but with a huge performance hit on battery life.