What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

After telling myself (repeatedly) that I absolutely did not need it and certainly would not be buying it, I gave in and treated myself to the mammoth box set Venus, Cupid, Folly & Time by The Divine Comedy, an enormous collection of remastered albums, demos, live performances and juvenilia. And it's glorious. 

007f15c7.thumb.jpg.c641779e97f431305909d0107de3aaaa.jpg

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote symphonies, concertos, quartets, solo sonatas for multiple instruments, and was in short a musical polymath. Yet perhaps the legendary composers' greatest contribution was to opera. He wrote many that have become not only staples of the repertoire but are viewed as nearly perfect musically as much as is humanly possibly. And interestingly, the play and film Amadeus has the tragic antihero Salieri view Mozart's progress (and the failure of his efforts to quash it) through his operas.

Don Giovanni, in particular, is an interesting case. The theme was the adventures of the fictional seducer Don Juan, a Spanish nobleman with a massive appetite for sex with as many women as possible -- will they or nill they. Most of his conquests blurred the line between seduction and outright rape. In the opera, Don Giovanni and his reluctant servant Leporello indulge in numerous exploits, and in one of them he kills the father of one of his victims, a well-connected former soldier. The man was so admired that soon after his death they erect a monument to him, a statue which Giovanni mockingly invites to supper. On a night when his "lovers" and enemies are converging on him, Giovanni has a lovely meal and ponders a way out. Then this happens:

One can only imagine how shocked audiences in 1787 must have been to see an admittedly dark comedy end in such a viscerally horrifying way. They were unprepared for it. The opera added luster to his reputation anyway, which has only grown with time and advances in stagecraft. Acting in opera has advanced as well, as each generation brings stars that come ever closer to the Platonic ideal of the singing actor.. What Samuel Ramey playing Don Giovanni is doing is very difficult!

On 3/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, Cancer said:

IK've said this before -- Alice Cooper is a truly great rock songwriters, although his stagecraft overshadowed his musical gift. And apparently, now that he wrestled his demons to a stalemate, a truly charitable man who devotes a lot of his time (now that he doesn;t tour much) to hands-on philanthropy.  Although given the album cover shown here, I half-thought this would be a cover of this great song by the Ramones (whose hard-driving style might well have done it justice).