The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

When my wife and I started dating eleven or so years ago, I had one cat. She had five. Sounds like a lot, I know, but you get used to it--you always had a cat on your lap when you sat down, they slept on our bed, we just had constant companions. Well, when we moved in together, I had to get rid of my cat (it didn't play well with others). The about four years ago Squid died, two years ago we lost Maddie, and Tootie died a couple months ago (my wife did the naming). We still have Claudia, who's 17, and Bea, who's 15. They're old and slow, and the house just seems empty.

So . . . tonight, it's kitten time! Getting two kitties tonight from a lady who works at a rescue league. We had to get approved, so on New Years' Day we went to her house so she could verify the kids were OK, and they loved the kittens, played with them constantly for an hour while we were there. We just told them we were going to meet mama's friend Nancy who takes care of cats. They have absolutely no idea we're getting kittens. I am giddy at this point; I can't wait to see my son's face when he sees the kittens. The whole plan is the wife has stuff to do after work and will get them and bring them home while I take the kids to swimming lessons at the YMCA tonight. When we get home, they'll be waiting for us.

The 17-year-old cat will be OK with it, she's old and cranky and doesn't move much. The 15-year-old was freaked out by my old cat when I tried to bring it into the house, but the hope is (A) she's much older now, and (B) they're kittens, and not adult cats, so there won't be as much of an "alpha kitty" concern from her.

Woo.

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

Yep. I argued long and hard that, if we got a boy cat, I got to name it. She hates my name. I don't care. I won my case. She's naming the girl kitty Stella, while the boy kitty is going to be named Westerberg. As in Paul Westerberg, former leader of The Replacements, my favorite musician ever. She HATES the name and says she'll call him "Wes", which she can handle. All the cats (and our kids) wind up with about 50 nicknames anyways, so I doubt it really matters.