Rules For Picking A Superhero Name

MisterBaldy

OK gang...

I thought that this was so silly, I just had to share this with everyone.

Rules For Picking A Superhero Name:

1. Don't call yourself by your real name: e.g., The Incredible Jenny Pinchuck, The Amazing Stevie Foster.
  2. Don't call yourself by someone else's real name: e.g., Super Teddy Kennedy, Captain Dean Martin.
  3. Choose a name that suggests power, heroism and prowess: e.g., Captain Power, Thunderman, Mr. Invincible, Justiceman.
  4. Don't be too modest: e.g., Mr. Pretty Good, Captain So-so, Fairly Incredibleman, Captian Invincible on a good day.
  5. But don't labor the point: e.g., Mr. So-Powerful-Don't-Even-Think-About-It-Buddy.
  6. Don't choose a name detrimental to your crime fighting image: e.g., Captain Spongecake, Mr. Silly, Yellow Streak, Purple Slippers, Captain Sweetiepie.
  7. Don't choose the name of an existing Superhero unless you have lots of money and enjoy fighting litigation instead of supervillains.
  8. It's no use calling yourself Captain Invincible if your only power is control over Hostess Twinkies and you suffer from a congenial hole-in-the-heart condition. It's just asking for trouble.
  9. Don't call yourself the Invisible Boy if you're not.
  10. Don't call yourself the Invisible Boy if you're a girl.
  11. Don't give away important information in your name, e.g. The Glass Jaw, Captain Vulnerable To Strontium 90.
  12. Don't call yourself The Green Avenger if you wear an orange costume. You'll confuse people.

Re: Rules For Picking A Superhero Name

For the record, that’s from How To Be A Super Hero, but I can’t find the authors. Not the recent Barry Neville/Dr. Metropolis one, it had a subtitle like: Save the Universe in 30 days, or your money back!

I liked the section that advises you which supervillains you want to take on your first time out.

---

It advises against messing with Sun-Up the Solar Sodomizer, for example . . .

For the record' date=' that’s from [b']How To Be A Super Hero[/b], but I can’t find the authors. Not the recent Barry Neville/Dr. Metropolis one, it had a subtitle like: Save the Universe in 30 days, or your money back!

I liked the section that advises you which supervillains you want to take on your first time out.

---

It was by Mark Leigh and Mike Lepine, illustrated by Steve Dillon. 1992.

And it is one of the most brilliant books ever. :thumbup:

EVER. :yes:

For the record' date=' that’s from [b']How To Be A Super Hero[/b], but I can’t find the authors. Not the recent Barry Neville/Dr. Metropolis one, it had a subtitle like: Save the Universe in 30 days, or your money back!

---

I think that, unless you're playing a very special sort of game - or living a very special sort of life - you should avoid anyone with the word Sodomizer in their nom de guerre.

A fun list to read regardless of the original source. You could almost do the list to that tune of that popular song a few years ago (I forget the title but it's about the singer/speaker addressing a graduating class).
"Wear Sunscreen" by Mary Schmich writing for the Chicago News Tribune, put to music by Baz Luhrman in "Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)" and by John Safran in "Not the Sunscreen Song", and mistakenly attributed to Kurt Vonnegut, who denies any involvement.

Here are a few scans from the book, which is, sadly, out of print:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/scans_daily/1044314.html

(Y'all know about scans_daily, right?)

I still have my original copy that my wife got me for my birthday, way back when. It truly is one of the best (and definitely funniest) books I've ever read.

There are still 7 used copies on Amazon.com from Good to Like New; prices run from $45.74 to $99.99 US.

OK, how many of you automatically started trying to think of ways you could make acceptible characters with names like, "Captain Spongecake, Mr. Silly, Yellow Streak, Purple Slippers, and Captain Sweetiepie?"

Keith "Quite Vulnerable To Strontium 90" Curtis

Ok...I admit that I did think about it...even if only for a second or two.:D

OK gang...

1. Don't call yourself by your real name: e.g., The Incredible Jenny Pinchuck, The Amazing Stevie Foster.
  2. Don't call yourself by someone else's real name: e.g., Super Teddy Kennedy, Captain Dean Martin.
  3. Choose a name that suggests power, heroism and prowess: e.g., Captain Power, Thunderman, Mr. Invincible, Justiceman.
  4. Don't be too modest: e.g., Mr. Pretty Good, Captain So-so, Fairly Incredibleman, Captian Invincible on a good day.
  5. But don't labor the point: e.g., Mr. So-Powerful-Don't-Even-Think-About-It-Buddy.
  6. Don't choose a name detrimental to your crime fighting image: e.g., Captain Spongecake, Mr. Silly, Yellow Streak, Purple Slippers, Captain Sweetiepie.
  7. Don't choose the name of an existing Superhero unless you have lots of money and enjoy fighting litigation instead of supervillains.
  8. It's no use calling yourself Captain Invincible if your only power is control over Hostess Twinkies and you suffer from a congenial hole-in-the-heart condition. It's just asking for trouble.
  11. Don't give away important information in your name, e.g. The Glass Jaw, Captain Vulnerable To Strontium 90.
  12. Don't call yourself The Green Avenger if you wear an orange costume. You'll confuse people.

I've just seen this for the first time,and I'm afraid I find this thread rather sad.

Surely common sense will prevail.

Maybe this thread is an early[very lots :) ] April Fool?

I've just seen this for the first time,and I'm afraid I find this thread rather sad.

Surely common sense will prevail.

You'd think so, yet one a rule 13 should be:

If your thinking of a name ask your superbuddies whether they think it could be misiterpreted. That way you won't end haveing your enemies laugh at you when you you reveal yourself as the shrinking hero 'Little Willy'.

(And I've seen a few heroes in the comics who didn't take that advice: Speedball for instance)

If your thinking of a name ask your superbuddies whether they think it could be misiterpreted. That way you won't end haveing your enemies laugh at you when you you reveal yourself as the shrinking hero 'Little Willy'.

(And I've seen a few heroes in the comics who didn't take that advice: Speedball for instance)

Wee Willie (From the Great SuperVillian Contest) probably wishes someone had given him this advice a long tome ago. :D

#& Oh Little Willie, Willie won't go home!

But you can't push Willie 'round, Willie won't go!

Tried tellin' everybody, but, Oh No!

Little Willie, Willie won't go home!

chorus from "Little Willie" by Sweet

Matt "Been-working-in-radio-too-long" Frisbee

OK gang...

Don't call yourself The Green Avenger if you wear an orange costume. You'll confuse people.

Like the Golden age Marvel heroine The Silver Scorpion who:

A) Did not wear a silver costume.

B) Had no powers pertaining to the arthropod in question.

#& Oh Little Willie, Willie won't go home!

But you can't push Willie 'round, Willie won't go!

Tried tellin' everybody, but, Oh No!

Little Willie, Willie won't go home!

chorus from "Little Willie" by Sweet

As opposed to a band actually named "Wet Willie"!

I was just noticing that something was a bit off about this list... :think:

Aha! I consult the original list and find that this list is edited. Some wording is changed or left out for innapropriate language or sexual innuendo (i'm guessing). But this rule was left out, too:

Don't call yourself Invisible Lady...if you're a man-even if you do feel like a woman trapped in a man's body.

Need to know the others? pm me :)

OK gang...

Funny, but think of some of the violations that are well-known and loved.

RULE 1: Profeesor Charles Xavier

Nick Fury

Reed Richards (C'mon, how many people ever call him Mr. Fantastic. It's like a nickname.)

RULE 3: Bucky? What, do you have orthodontia problems.

Puck. Is it time for Shakespeare in the Park again?

RULE 4: Pariah? Talk about self-esteem issues.

The In-Betweener (I'm not going there.)

RULE 5: What like Luke Cage, Hero for Hire or Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu?

Hey, they probaly violate RULE 1 too.

RULE 7: Think Superman Blue and Superman Red. OK, maybe not so beloved.