Opinion: EuroStar

Patriot

Re: Opinion: EuroStar

What I have always liked about Eurostar was that the membership was made of of characters from different countries all working together toward a common goal. I would continue that trend, and because of that I wouldn't admit any additional members who came from countries already represented by the current membership: so no Shamrock, for example.

The team currently consistes of a brick, a mentalist, 2 martial artists, and 2 energy blasters. There's definately some room in there for a few more archetypes. A speedster is a good call. I always considered Ultrasonique to be the gadgeteer type, even though he has no gadget pool [i gave him one]. A mystic might be a good choice as well. We've already had the Eurostar/VIPER wars. Maybe it's time for the Eurostar/DEMON wars. :)

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could actually turn into an interesting plot - the villain who wants out of his group after realizing they're all psychos. It might not work with Tachyon, but could be conceivable with a new villain.

For extra fun don't let the PCs know about the new villain's change of heart. Have them encounter him a few times with Eurostar and then vanish. Six months of game time later, up pops a brand new hero!*

This would work well with Shamrock.

I would handle it like this:

The IRA struggle ended, but Shamrock didn't receive an amnesty. As a result, he has to find himself a new identity.

Unlike Scorpia, he's basically a freedom fighter, rather than a psychopath, so Eurostar would turn out not to be an option. So, he would fake himself up a new civilian identity, establish himself as a hero, and build up a network of legitimate contacts for himself. Hopefully, if his real identity came out, his achievements as a hero would get him out of trouble.

And he was always lucky, so he has a good chance of getting away with it. :)

---

I've always liked Shamrock. He is my favourite "villain you would go to the pub with".

His actual origin write-up in Enemies I (I don't own Classic Enemies) is a bit dodgy, but I like the basic idea of the character. "Controversial freedom fighters" are always a laugh.

---

Edit: can you have two Irish characters? Why not? If Fiacho was to keep recruiting, he would soon "realisitically" run into the situation where there were multiple candidates from a single country. He's nuts enough to insist on only one from each, but he might also be enough of a realist to not put arbitrary rules ahead of increasing his strength. So from Fiacho's view there's not necessarily a problem.

The real question is, of course, what the GM wants. If he or she wants to limit the team to one member from each country, well that's fine.

In fact, it's possible to have things both ways.

What if Shamrock doesn't join as a full member, but is hired as extra muscle for a few missions? That would still allow for the "these guys are nuts! I'm outta here!" plotline, while allowing a different selection of permanent members.

In fact, if Eurostar was to take up the practice of using extra muscle in certain circumstances - in non-critical roles, and after scrutiny from Mentalla! - a GM would be justified in using almost any character they felt like in a "Eurostar" adventure.

---

And I still really like Shamrock, and I intend to build a variant of the character for use as a PC. :)

Two bricks. Remember that the official membership has changed as of Champions Worldwide.

Perhaps you read something I didn't. I saw where he has talked to everyone and some are considering his offer but I don't remember seeing anything that said someone else joined. Please enlighten me.

Ah, nevermind. I forgot about der Westgote. :)

Perhaps you read something I didn't. I saw where he has talked to everyone and some are considering his offer but I don't remember seeing anything that said someone else joined. Please enlighten me.

I don't have my book handy, but as I recall the text had said something like the German 'smart-brick' (Westgote maybe?) had joined after a long 'negotiating period'.

Going with the mystic idea and recognizing that there are no English members of Eurostar' date=' maybe Mogan Le Fey or one of her decendants might be a good fit for the team.[/quote']

Morgan le Fey is WAY to independent for Fiacho. He'd want a mystic that he could keep under his control and that's SO not Morgan Le Fey. She'd try and take over the team 24/7, way to much trouble.

I don't have my book handy' date=' but as I recall the text had said something like the German 'smart-brick' (Westgote maybe?) had joined after a long 'negotiating period'.[/quote']

[irreverant Interlude]

I'm pretty sure his name was "Das Wall"

[/irreverant Interlude]

:sneaky:

Actually, I adapted the origin of "Das Wall" (or more properly "Die Mauer") from European Enemies for the brick in my own incarnation of Eurostar, replacing Durak (although mostly using Durak's character sheet). This was primarily due to his name; although it sounds strong, durak is usually translated as "fool," and I can't imagine someone with Igor Starankov's attitude willingly using that as his nom du guerre. Durak can also mean "bully," but that's really not much of an improvement.

Otherwise I'm essentially using the lineup for Eurostar from Classic Organizations, but blending in elements of both the CKC version and the Champions: New Millennium version. That includes Pantera from C:NM - she's much more intelligent, but just as vicious.

Another idea might be to include a gadgeteer with a supervehicle; perhaps a heavily armed and armored flying "tank" with Mach 5 capabilities.

Or if you don't want them to have a new member, just have them obtain a supervehicle. Even /sans/ gadgeteer, it can work -- after all, while Ultrasonique probably isn't capable of *building* a Mach 5+ Blackbird variant complete with holographic cloaking device and advanced radical stealth, he should be capable of *maintaining* one, should Eurostar happen to get fortunate and steal one from somewhere else.

As to how to have the vehicle extract them from fights they're losing... well, give it a computer autopilot that's capable of understanding orders such as 'come get us!', 'open the lower bay door!', and 'flush the hardpoints!'. Then give Fiacho a remote control for it with a big red panic button.

Heck, doesn't VIPER have the Dragon jet, which has global range w/o midair refueling, advanced stealth, and the capacity to haul a platoon around? Doesn't Eurostar have a massive mad on vs. VIPER? Time to go shopping. :)

Ah, nevermind. I forgot about der Westgote. :)

I don't have my book handy' date=' but as I recall the text had said something like the German 'smart-brick' (Westgote maybe?) had joined after a long 'negotiating period'.[/quote']

When I originally saw these posts, I thought "Okay, I'll get to der Westoge while I'm reading Champions Worldwide," but he wasn't in the European villains section. When I looked in the glossary, it states he's only on page 8, which is just a brief mention of him. :( Is he listed somewhere else (such as another book)? And is there a write-up for him?

I've always thought that Mentalla is just slumming with Eurostar until her brother needs her, or them. One day he'll give the word, and a few hours later Eurostar will be dancing to his tune while Fiacho thinks he's still in charge.

I've used Gravitar, Viperia and Mentalla as a trio, but the Eurostar-Viper conflict makes that untenable in a "pure" CU campaign. Still, Gravitar could easilly become a part of Eurostar for a short time, until personality conflict drove her out again.

Detroyer might also choose to squeeze Eurostar at some point, perhaps hoping to follow Mentalla back to her brother.

Woohoo! Yes, there he (Der Westgote/The Visigoth) is on pages 122-3, and built on 501 points, 88 more than Durak and pretty much his equal, if not a bit better. The two definitely compliment each other on beating the tar out of any lone hero brick. :angst: Thanks for the info.

Woohoo! Yes' date=' there he (Der Westgote/The Visigoth) is on pages 122-3, and built on 501 points, 88 more than Durak and pretty much his equal, if not a bit better. The two definitely compliment each other on beating the tar out of any lone hero brick. :angst: Thanks for the info.[/quote']

The Visigoth actually seems better than Durak in many ways. Did you check out his REC score? I just about flipped out when I saw it. Talk about a villain with a second wind....sheesh.

Rob

I've used Gravitar' date=' Viperia and Mentalla as a trio, but the Eurostar-Viper conflict makes that untenable in a "pure" CU campaign. Still, Gravitar could easilly become a part of Eurostar for a short time, until personality conflict drove her out again.[/quote']

Errrr, Gravitar's not only fought Eurostar in the past, she's held them all helpless while ripping Fiacho's cybernetics right out of his body and suffocating some of the rest under their own weight. I can't really imagine any future interaction between her and them that doesn't involve attempted homicide.

As to how to have the vehicle extract them from fights they're losing... well' date=' give it a computer autopilot that's capable of understanding orders such as 'come get us!', 'open the lower bay door!', and 'flush the hardpoints!'. Then give Fiacho a remote control for it with a big red panic button.[/quote']Given Fiacho's cybernetic implants, I can't see any valid reason his systems couldn't be upgraded to pilot the jet remotely.

In my all female supervillain team Force 10, their tech member Scarab can pilot her titanium and ceramic 5-meter-tall combat mech (which she designed and built) either from within it or by encrypted remote control (The on-board computer is powerful enough to handle many routine tasks, such as moving from point A to point B and basic self-defense, without direct control).

Errrr' date=' Gravitar's not only fought Eurostar in the past, she's held them all helpless while ripping Fiacho's cybernetics right out of his body and suffocating some of the rest under their own weight. I can't really imagine any future interaction between her and them that doesn't involve attempted homicide.[/quote']

In fact, it clearly states in Champions Worldwide that they pretty much have an ongoing 'blood feud'. Eurostar intends to destroy one way or another for embarrassing them.

In fact' date=' it clearly states in Champions Worldwide that they pretty much have an ongoing 'blood feud'. Eurostar intends to destroy one way or another for embarrassing them.[/quote']

So, if a GM wanted to use them together, he'd need to either drop the idea of an active feud, or use a standard comic book contrivance to get them to team up. "Subtle" plan, Mind Control, mutual need with each planning to betray the other, whatever.

So' date=' if a GM wanted to use them together, he'd need to either drop the idea of an active feud, or use a standard comic book contrivance to get them to team up. "Subtle" plan, Mind Control, mutual need with each planning to betray the other, whatever.[/quote']One relatively obvious way to do this is to have Gravitar kill Fiacho and take his place as Eurostar's new leader (Maybe their initial clash was just Gravitar's way of testing them to see if they were all they were cracked up to be). So the surviving members of Eurostar would in effect become Gravitar's sidekicks. :eek:

One relatively obvious way to do this is to have Gravitar kill Fiacho and take his place as Eurostar's new leader (Maybe their initial clash was just Gravitar's way of testing them to see if they were all they were cracked up to be). So the surviving members of Eurostar would in effect become Gravitar's sidekicks. :eek:

Everyone needs a sidekick. :)

I like that idea, and might use it sometime. But, not until the current PCs get a power upgrade or two. ;)

Everyone needs a sidekick. :)

I like that idea, and might use it sometime. But, not until the current PCs get a power upgrade or two. ;)

You could always have the "Gravitar & Her Amazing Friends" thing take place "off camera" but the word quickly filters through the super grapevine. Then when your PCs run into Eurostar they'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop even though Gravitar is enjoying a vacation in Rio.

Nothing like a bit of paranioa to spice up those adventures. :eg:

One relatively obvious way to do this is to have Gravitar kill Fiacho and take his place as Eurostar's new leader (Maybe their initial clash was just Gravitar's way of testing them to see if they were all they were cracked up to be). So the surviving members of Eurostar would in effect become Gravitar's sidekicks. :eek:

An interesting twist. And if Mentalla was somehow in on it from the start, that might account for why she didn't use her powers to put the kabosh on things when she could have (Gravitar doesn't even have a single point of Mental Defense, with a combination of Isabella's Mindbar and a liberal application of Mindwipe she could have told Erica to go jump in the lake--literally).