Gravitar vs Graviton?

Enforcer84

Re: Gravitar vs Graviton?

Absolutely. I think Graviton is both more powerful and more versatile. I'm not sure if you recall but during his second of third foray he fought the Thing and Alpha Flight and managed to turn himself into a black hole by overloading his powers. That's apretty impressive amount of power. In fact, I think Magneto vs graviton would be a very interesting match up, although I'd have to give it to Mags based on experience, if not raw power.

And don't forget his recent ventures in Thunderbolts (vol 1) where he located every major hero worldwide from L.A. and held them captive a thousand feet off the ground (whereever in the world they happened to be).

And he still had power to spare to fight the Thunderbolts and Archangel while pulling off that aforementioned stunt.

In other appearances, he has totally ignored the damage from the Human Torch's nova blast.

In his very first appearance (Avengers 158), Graviton captured and transported a piece of mountain containing an entire village all across North America from Canada to NY, while fighting the Avengers. For pure power he may be one of the top five terrestrial villains in Marvel. I don't think he's used anywhere near enough.

There was a time, however, during the late 80's, when Spider-Man kicked his butt (Along with Titania, Goliath, the Brothers Grimm and Paste-Pot Pete, but they was just for exercise), so you have to be careful about what version that you're talking about.

All in all, Graviton Smash.

Losing to Spider-Man shouldn't diminish his rep. Heck, the Stranger couldn't take Spider-Man.

Losing to Spider-Man shouldn't diminish his rep. Heck' date=' the Stranger couldn't take Spider-Man.[/quote']

Indeed. Sad though it may be, it's probably a mark of acceptance amongst Marvel villians:

Kingpin: Congratulations. *hands Graviton a box* A graduation present.

Graviton: Why? I got pinched by the Wallcrawler.

Kingpin: Everyone does. You did it right. You told them nothing.

Graviton: I thought you'd be mad.

Kingpin: I'm not mad, I'm proud of you.You took your first pinch like a man, and learned the two greatest things in life. Look at me. Never rat on your friends.. and always keep your mouth shut.

Green Goblin: Here he is! You broke your cherry! Congratulations!

In his very first appearance (Avengers 158)' date=' Graviton captured and transported a piece of mountain containing an entire village all across North America from Canada to NY, while fighting the Avengers. For pure power he may be one of the top five terrestrial villains in Marvel. I don't think he's used anywhere near enough.[/quote']

It's kind of odd the way that Graviton has been used. From his first appearance he's been shown to have tremedous power, and to be fairly creative in using it in battle; but his motivations and plans have been fairly simplistic and petty. Probably the most sophisticated scheme he came up with was to take over organised crime in Los Angeles, and that was mostly a matter of muscling in and making himself the boss. He's portrayed as a small man who lucked out as far as gaining power, but remains small otherwise. That doesn't really fill the bill for epic "master villain" schemes.

If Marvel could ever justify the character going through some experience that gave him true vision and purpose, that could change everything. A focussed and motivated Graviton would be a terrible thing. :fear:

Mind you, you could say the same thing about Gravitar. :rolleyes:

Losing to Spider-Man shouldn't diminish his rep. Heck' date=' the Stranger couldn't take Spider-Man.[/quote']

A friend of mine once observed that the two most important heroes in the Marvel Universe are probably Spider-Man and Rick Jones. Whatever situation those two characters show up in, however great the opposition, they somehow turn out to be the key to victory.

There was a time, however, during the late 80's, when Spider-Man kicked his butt (Along with Titania, Goliath, the Brothers Grimm and Paste-Pot Pete, but they was just for exercise), so you have to be careful about what version that you're talking about.

Point of Order: that story occured during the Acts of Vengeance arc. Spider-Man was enhanced by the Captain Universe power; He was more powerful than Superman at that point.

Point of Order: that story occured during the Acts of Vengeance arc. Spider-Man was enhanced by the Captain Universe power; He was more powerful than Superman at that point.

Spidey didn't get the Uni-Power until after he first fought Graviton.

He also fought Graviton shortly after he lost the Uni-Power, along with several other Acts of Vengeance villains.

Spidey didn't get the Uni-Power until after he first fought Graviton.

He also fought Graviton shortly after he lost the Uni-Power, along with several other Acts of Vengeance villains.

I give it to Gravitar.

You know why? Because almost every time Graviton got beat, it was because he was trying to impress a skirt. She'd batt her eyes at him and he'd move in for the kiss and she'd shatter his head with her superhuman strength.

Just sayin.

If Marvel could ever justify the character going through some experience that gave him true vision and purpose' date=' that could change everything. A focussed and motivated Graviton would be a terrible thing. :fear:[/quote']

That seems to be the likely next step. The Thunderbolts turned him away with psychoanalysis, and he went off to figure out what it was he really wanted.

Count Nefaria. ;)

Versus Superman! :bounce:

Man, I would pay good money to see that fight. And make popcorn. And maybe shower.

Nefaria is a master villain with enormous potential, whom you can't help but take seriously. I don't know when Marvel will bring him back, but it will probably be big.

That was when SpiderMan went through a cosmic power boost. He actually got the power of Captain Universe he just didn't know it.

That seems to be the likely next step. The Thunderbolts turned him away with psychoanalysis' date=' and he went off to figure out what it was he really wanted.[/quote']

He came back and killed alot of throw away heroes and then realized he was bing used and dusted the user, disappearing in a singularity.