A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Re: A Thread for Random Videos

Very cool video of the galaxy. I must spread rep...

I must have missed this news. They are talking on that web site as though it is established fact that the core of the Milky Way is a black hole. Is this so?

There's almost nothing else it can be. The orbits of the stars around whatever-it-is are perfect within the uncertainties for whatever-it-is having a mass somewhat over 2 million solar masses, but the thing itself is small (no more than a couple dozen AUs from direct imaging in multiple wavelengths, which has been going on since the late 1960s with the necessary angular resolution to make that statement). The spectrum of the radiation coming from it is well modeled by a hot accretion disk. At this point, there is almost nothing it can be but a black hole with an accretion disk around it. I don't know anyone in the biz expressing any doubts about that any more.

There's almost nothing else it can be. The orbits of the stars around whatever-it-is are perfect within the uncertainties for whatever-it-is having a mass somewhat over 2 million solar masses' date=' but the thing itself is small (no more than a couple dozen AUs from direct imaging in multiple wavelengths, which has been going on since the late 1960s with the necessary angular resolution to make that statement). The spectrum of the radiation coming from it is well modeled by a hot accretion disk. At this point, there is almost nothing it can be but a black hole with an accretion disk around it. I don't know anyone in the biz expressing any doubts about that any more.[/quote']

And here I thought it was the intake for the huge ramjet at the center of the galaxy. Y'know, for when you want to take the Milky Way out for a drive.