Essential OHOTMU: worth it or not?

FenrisUlf

The most recent Marvel Essentials is the complete first edition Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe. It lists the active, inactive, dead (for the moment), and even the weapons and vehicles of all Marvel characters at the time is came out (the early 80's, I think?).

I'm interested in getting a copy, but I've heard a lot of folks here trash the tome. Is it worth the shekels it'd cost, or not?

Re: Essential OHOTMU: worth it or not?

The most recent Marvel Essentials is the complete first edition Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe. It lists the active, inactive, dead (for the moment), and even the weapons and vehicles of all Marvel characters at the time is came out (the early 80's, I think?).

I'm interested in getting a copy, but I've heard a lot of folks here trash the tome. Is it worth the shekels it'd cost, or not?

There were several different editions of the Official Handbook, and I haven't looked at the new Essentials version to see which it is. Off the topb of my head, I think the releases were 1982, 1985, and 1989. And then the 3-ring binder version, which I wish I'd managed to collect all of. I think it was early 90's.

I really thought the 80's Official Handbooks were very cool. I haven't enjoyed their more recent descendants, though.

The book is the first Handbook. Complete in 1 volume. It also makes an excellent coloring book (I have a friend who is doing that).

The essential hanbook for the "delux" series, which was the 86 one, is going to be in three essential volumes and the first is being solicited in the Jan Previews.

In either case, I think they are great investments, if you are intereseted in the Handbook style entries of the characters.

It's useful as a sort of Cliffs' Notes of Marvel history up to that time, especially the more obscure characters.

The "Powers" sections of the writeups, OTOH, are loose estimates at best and laughably inaccurate at worst. If you get it, then stick to the 'History' sections of the write-ups, those at least contain useful data.

I've got the originals, and I'm still considering getting the Essential book. (I intend to use it as an easier "idea sparker" for myself and players, so I can keep the originals in better shape, and as easier trace-material - clean b&w poses much nicer for that)

I was first getting into supers comics when these were coming out, and they were great. Together they're a great read, and in one volume it'd make for easy cross-referencing. If you're interested in the Marvel U but don't already know a lot of the backstory, I'd highly recommend it. :thumbup: The sections in the back on the various alien races alone is worth the price, IMO.

It's useful as a sort of Cliffs' Notes of Marvel history up to that time, especially the more obscure characters.

The "Powers" sections of the writeups, OTOH, are loose estimates at best and laughably inaccurate at worst. If you get it, then stick to the 'History' sections of the write-ups, those at least contain useful data.

At least the power estimates and descriptions are better then the ones in the new version. That scale from 1 to 7 drives me nuts. :)

I had a friendly disagreement with my local comic book store owner about whether Spider-Woman glided on her own power or if it was the costume. So the next week he ordered that essential guide and everyone snatched up a copy. I got a kick out of it, especially when you go into the inactive or deceased part of it. Oh I was right about the Glider Wings by the way.

I am not certain whether that makes me feel good or if I just have a very sad life and proved it beyond a doubt.:o

Well, there were two versions in the 80s--original and "deluxe", plus the one for MSH 2nd ed.(I used to have this, sigh).

Then there's the recent books, which tend to be more generic on power and ability descriptions.

DC had at least 2 "Who's who" series, as well. Don't know if those will ever be available again, though.

Not sure how you'd measure its worth. Were I to get it at all, it'd just be for the entertainment value.

If you're looking at it as a serious reference for character benchmarks, you'll be disappointed because that stuff always changes drastically over time anyway(reboots, relaunches, retcons and companywide crossovers).

The only people who know and control this stuff are Franklin Richards and the Scarlet Witch (unless Alexander Luthor already has them hooked up to his "Crisis Machine")

I have the original series still, which I think was something like 15 parts (I think they planned 12, then wound up adding 2 "book of the dead" and 1 "weapons/vehicles" type book).

I think for the short writeups of many heroes/villains up to the moment of that publication, it's kind of useful. I Still occasionally can't remember what happened on a characer and will look it up.

But in man cases, by now that's only half the character's history.

I still like mine, but then it's the only reference of it's type I have.

Well, I would want it to use the minor Marvel characters to get some ideas for supers both good and bad in my own campaigns. Everyone's done a Wolverine homage, but how many people have based someone on Thundra or the Kangaroo?*

* -- Indeed, would anyone else even want to? ;)

Well, I would want it to use the minor Marvel characters to get some ideas for supers both good and bad in my own campaigns. Everyone's done a Wolverine homage, but how many people have based someone on Thundra or the Kangaroo?*

* -- Indeed, would anyone else even want to? ;)

Definitely a good buy then.

Some random observations:

While many (including myself) find the actual levels of various powers and abilities inaccurate, the pseudo-scientific explanation for the powers was very fun to read.

They did forget (as has everyone else in the Marvel Universe) that Cyclops' energy beams are solar powered (revealed way back in an early issue). Also, some things were revealed that have been ignored since (like the Human Torch presumably was made of plasma and as such couldn't be harmed by bullets and knives even if they did retain integrity upon contact with him.)

They also introduced about a dozen new subatomic particles, tied together all the darkness-weilding characters and so forth.

I'd get it; it's a fun read. Much more so than DC's Who's Who.

Keith "scatterbrained reviews" Curtis

I bought the 15 volumes of the official handbook (which came out in Essential format last week) and the deluxe format run (which begins its Essentialization with one of three volumes in March - I think those will be spaced out through out 2006 though vol 2 and 3 aren't on the schedule yet) back when they first came out. I still have them.

That being said, I was happy to plunk down the money for the Essential handbook last week because a) it is all in one volume, B) I don't have to dig through my comics for a quick reference, and c) it does do some good power analysis. This first volume is kind of slim on "history" of characters. It gives a brief origin. The Deluxe Handbook, I believe, did a bit more in the history area.

Relating it to Champions, when I first was making Champs characters back in the early 80's, I often used my Official Handbook to borrow some pose pictures for my character sheets.

If this is the black and white thing, then no.

It's a coloring book.

One of the funniest entries is the Sheild entry. Has pictures of each of the divisons of shield in uniform. Said uniforms, are in the original, same picture with different color schemes - so in the Essential they are identical because they are B&W.

And Death Tribble - if it says "Essential" in the covor it is one of those B&W books. :)