The Marvel Magnificent Seven (Avengers)

Enforcer84

Re: The Marvel Magnificent Seven (Avengers)

That's what I said, ya long-winded galoot!

ahem

Sorry. Just wanted to work 'galoot' into a sentence and this seemed as good a time as any :)

Sorry, V, didn't mean to usurp your primacy. Just wanted to rationalize my choices. :o

And I'll thank you not to refer to me as a "galoot." I prefer "palooka." :P

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

The Vision

The Scarlet Witch

Hawkeye

The Wasp

as the iconic Avengers. If you went with the most *powerful* Avengers, you might get:

Thor

Sersi

Quasar

Iron Man

Scarlet Witch

Captain Marvel

Hulk

Not necessarily in that order.

If you went with the most *powerful* Avengers, you might get:

Thor

Sersi

Quasar

Iron Man

Scarlet Witch

Captain Marvel

Hulk

Not necessarily in that order.

I'm not sure that the Vision, Hercules, and Wonder Man shouldn't be up there somewhere. Plus... The Hulk shouldn't even be considered a member. Sure he was among the founders, but it only took him and everyone else 10 minutes to figure out he didn't belong. He was such a palooka he joined the circus to get away.:celebrate

I'm not sure that the Vision' date=' Hercules, and Wonder Man shouldn't be up there somewhere. Plus... The Hulk shouldn't even be considered a member. Sure he was among the founders, but it only took him and everyone else 10 minutes to figure out he didn't belong. He was such a palooka he joined the circus to get away.:celebrate[/quote']

And Sentry now' date=' if I understand correctly.[/quote']

So who on the list of 7 gets replaced? Only 1 of the 7 (Hulk) is even semi-arguable due to not really belonging. However, anyone else added means that someone gets left off.

So who on the list of 7 gets replaced? Only 1 of the 7 (Hulk) is even semi-arguable due to not really belonging. However' date=' anyone else added means that someone gets left off.[/quote']

Although she served with distinction and her atomic manipulation powers are extreme, Sersi is an Eternal. As such she should probably be listed as an Avengers affiliate.

And, although he has incredible power, Quasar has always been a bit of a punk. :rolleyes:

Heck, if you're going to go with the Hulk you might as well consider Dr. Strange.

Although she served with distinction and her atomic manipulation powers are extreme, Sersi is an Eternal. As such she should probably be listed as an Avengers affiliate.

And, although he has incredible power, Quasar has always been a bit of a punk. :rolleyes:

Heck, if you're going to go with the Hulk you might as well consider Dr. Strange.

What would be your list of 7?

And Sentry now' date=' if I understand correctly.[/quote']

I though that The Sentry was sort of a one shot plot device for that miniseries. I saw that they brought him back for the New Avengers, but I still haven't read that storyline. Do we really count him, or is he going to go out of the continuity again? To me, it's too soon to tell.

What would be your list of 7?

Okay, okay... here are my 7 big-hitters:

Thor - Of course the son of Odin makes the list. He's the most powerful and versitle hero/god in Marvel.

Hellstorm - The son of Satan easily replaces the Scarlet Witch and adds some real clout to the mystical side of the team.

Vision - No one individual encompases enormous strength and incredible finess like the first son of Prof. Phineas Horton.

Iron Man - It's all about the toys.

Genis-Vel - The prodigal son of one of Marvels greatest heroes; Captain Mar-Vel! Genis is arguably one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy. Besides, without those nifty Nega-bands we would never see Anihilus again (and Rick Jones is a must in any incarnation of the Avengers)!

Hercules - The son of Zeus! With his golden mace forced by the god Hephestus out of enchanted adamantine he's a match for anyone. "Have at thee!!!"

The last spot could be taken by many individuals including : Binary, Dr. Strange, The One (Gilgamesh), Sersi, Photon, Starhawk/Alita... and a few others. I'm really leaning towards the ionic Wonder Man... But I'll give it to:

Sentry - If Reed Richards says your the most powerful being in the world... you're the most powerful being in the world!

(You could almost call this group The Avenging Sons (or Sun in Sentry's case) ;)

Thor - Of course the son of Odin makes the list. He's the most powerful and versitle hero/god in Marvel.

Hellstorm - The son of Satan easily replaces the Scarlet Witch and adds some real clout to the mystical side of the team.

Vision - No one individual encompases enormous strength and incredible finess like the first son of Prof. Phineas Horton.

Genis-Vel - The prodigal son of one of Marvels greatest heroes; Captain Mar-Vel! Genis is arguably one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy. Besides, without those nifty Nega-bands we would never see Anihilus again (and Rick Jones is a must in any incarnation of the Avengers)!

Hercules - The son of Zeus! With his golden mace forced by the god Hephestus out of enchanted adamantine he's a match for anyone. "Have at thee!!!"

The last spot could be taken by many individuals including : Binary, Dr. Strange, The One (Gilgamesh), Sersi, Photon, Starhawk/Alita... and a few others. I'm really leaning towards the ionic Wonder Man... But I'll give it to:

Sentry - If Reed Richards says your the most powerful being in the world... you're the most powerful being in the world!

(You could almost call this group The Avenging Sons (or Sun in Sentry's case) ;)

It depends on which version of Scarlet Witch you wind up with. Her power level is highly variable to say the least. ;)

I just can't see Vision or Hercules as powerful as Sersi or Captain Marvel. But, reasonable minds can differ. :)

Out of curiosity' date=' I bought the first issue of his latest series today. Let's just say in terms of sheer power, he's just a little bit over-the-top.[/quote']

Oh, I think adding him to the Marvel lineup (and especially the Avengers) was a stupid thing to do. As a separate story it had character and was fun to read. But his inclusion into Marvel's pantheon smacks of everything that's wrong with Marvel today.

Thor? Hercules?

*Puts on asbestos suit*

Firelord is on par with them, and Spidey beat Firelord, so they should make way for the Friendly Neighborhood Spider...

:sneaky:

7 ESSENTIAL AVENGERS

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

these three were no brainers

Vision

Scarlet Witch

Hawkeye

Didn't take much thinking to decide on these three either

The last one I thought on long and hard, then I realised one Avenger has been with the team sense nearly day one, has taken very few leaves, and gets very little respect. So the 7th Avenger is

JARVIS THE BUTLER

Black Knight (Dane Whitman, Ebony Sword era): Dane Whitman is a world-class geneticist, owns a castle in the Washington, D.C. area (wealthy), has a kid sidekick from the Middle Ages, and uses an unbreakable sword. Everyone knows, superheroes with unbreakable HKAs sell books.

Photon (Monica Rambeau): Although currently the butt of a running joke of other superheroes stealing her name, and spending most of her on-panel time in some dive bar in Louisiana or somewhere equally yucky and remote, she has the power to send radio waves without using a radio, something even Rick Jones couldn't manage as leader of Captain America's Teen Bridage. Definitely room for some diversity on this roster.

Mockingbird: Although techincally deceased, this has never stopped a superhero before. Her SHIELD training and contacts with the equally-formerly-dead Nick Fury could come in really handy when you need a tactical nuke to blast Ultron-187 or something. Additionally, she was emotionally strong enough to deal with being married to circus freak Hawkeye for many years.

She-Hulk: Eventually, John Byrne will be tapped to write and draw this book. Let's just save him the trouble of recruiting her and stick her on the team to begin with. She can also serve as a source of legal advice at team planning session and during battles which may or may not break international treaty.

Tigra: Really, just here for the other heroes to have meaningless flings with. I mean, was she ever much more than a toy anyway?

Dr. Druid: Cut-rate Dr. Strange, he was the first Marvel Superhero in the Silver Age (1961), and has a nice, full head of hair. If you need someone to be spooky and foreboding, he is your man.

USAgent: The team's resident hothead, he also has a great sense of tactics and the respect of the superhero community. Also, unlike Captain America, his name doesn't start with "Cap", which should keep the team from getting confused when someone calls out "Cap" in the middle of combat- considering that Photon and Mockingbird have also achieved the rank of Captain in their respective military organizations. Also, he's a real winner with the ladies, and this team's got ladies to spare.

For all the reasons cited above:

Captain America - Soul of the team, and the tactical brains.

Thor - The powerhouse.

Iron Man - The scientific brains, very powerful, and the source of funding.

Additional:

Vision - Raw power, adds another point of view, flexible, romantic ties to SW

Scarlet Witch - Power up and down over the years, but always an interesting charater, and her powerset can fill in gaps left by the rest of the team.

Wonderman - Much more powerful than he's given credit for, and links to the Vision and Wanda.

Hank Pym - Founding member, gadgeteer and size shifter. Powerful, flexible and occasionally insane.

(Outraged Splutter).

:nonp::no: :no: :no:

What? The first comic series I read was The Avengers. The Beast was the awesome furry guy who hung out with Wonder Man. I started reading the X-Men shortly thereafter, but of course the Beast was never even mentioned in that Claremont/Byrne run. I didn't find out for a couple of years that the furry blue Beast was the same person as that old goofy barefoot character in the original X-Men. In fact during the years I regularly bought comics, his only X-Men related activity was the original X-Factor, which, let's face it, was a terrible idea from the get-go. I stopped reading comics around that same time.