The Marvel Magnificent Seven (Avengers)

Enforcer84

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Marvel Magnificent Seven (Avengers)

Disregard -- it does appear to be true. Hmm...I didnt realize how long Dr. Druid has been lurking around -- he predates the Marvel Age. And here I thought he was just someone to hang around to provide contrast so that people could realize how bad-*** Dr. Strange was.

It depends on which version of Scarlet Witch you wind up with. Her power level is highly variable to say the least. ;)

I just can't see Vision or Hercules as powerful as Sersi or Captain Marvel. But, reasonable minds can differ. :)

Vision once took over every computer system on earth. He also knocked out Count Nefaria by densing up to 90 tons and dropping on him from two miles up. His old "I stick my hand in you and partially solidify, knocking you right out" attack was pretty devastating in his heyday.

He's the Spock of the team;)

Vision once took over every computer system on earth. He also knocked out Count Nefaria by densing up to 90 tons and dropping on him from two miles up. His old "I stick my hand in you and partially solidify, knocking you right out" attack was pretty devastating in his heyday.

Yup. He gave the whole team a pretty good run for its money in his first appearance. He'd be a nasty master villain. :eek:

I just can't see Vision... or Hercules as powerful as Sersi or Captain Marvel. But' date=' reasonable minds can differ. :)[/quote']

On several occasions the Vision has physically withstood everything Wonder Man (whose "...fists deliver blows equal to Thor's hammer" - as he's so happy to tell us over and over again).

The Vision is WM with brains and intangibility.

Heck, Hercules encounterd Galactus and managed to subdue Galactus' hunger by making him laugh after attempting to get him drunk. Now tell me... What's more powerful than that?

I second (third, whatever) this list, though it pains me to leave off the Beast. To me he was an Avenger first and an X-Man second.

This lineup has punch. All of them are experienced tacticians and the overall power level is high. Given how Hawkeye is the perfect weakness-exploiter and Cap performs way above his raw power, the only real lightweight here is the Wasp (and some writers beef up her sting to the big leagues).

Yes, various interpretations of the Wasp have given her sting more punch - maybe not up with Iron Man's repulsor rays, but able to put some hurt on even heavyweight opposition. Around when Hank Pym upgraded his Yellowjacket weaponry, he also improved the Wasp's bio-energy stings to roughly the same degree.

The Wasp also provides a valuable stealth capacity to the Avengers, as has been highlighted in a few stories. At insect size she can get into almost anywhere unnoticed.

I was never a huge Avengers fan, but the characters that scream Avengers to me are:

Captain America

Iron Man

Thor

Hawkeye

Scarlet Witch

Vision

Pym du jour

I know Pym is an on again off again hero, but so many Avenger plot lines revolved around him in his various versions that I always think of the two together.

Also, from a gamist perspective, Pym is a flexible metamorph AND a gadgeteer, filling out two archetypes otherwise missing.

And finally, I never liked the Wasp. Sorry; that's just the way it is.

Frankly, I don't much like the Wasp either. But for her history with the Avengers, I couldn't help but give her serious consideration.

I actually agree with you about Pym - I think he's been more important to the history of the team than the Wasp. It was a tough choice for me to go with the Wasp over him. But notice that we're still calling him "Pym"; I'd be hard pressed to decide which of his costumed identities to consider definitive. The Wasp, for better or worse, has retained fundamentally the same concept througout her career. And a lot of Hank Pym's importance to the team has come from his personal problems, and the harm he's caused.

Sersi is a pocket brick with gigantic transformation, energy, and mental powers. She's a combination Molecule Man and Phoenix.

Captain Marvel has energy powers beyond belief. She was able to knock out the shields on Thano's Death Star and commented that she had to convert a few pounds of her own matter into energy. That's worth a bunch of nukes right there. And she travels at the speed of light.

And then you have Moondragon, who has been able to control millions of minds simultaneously, at least on one occasion. She's still generally depicted as a major-league telepath.

Examples like those above are why I dislike "the Justice League would spank the Avengers" type remarks. You could easily put together a team of serving Avengers who could match anything the JLA could field.

Examples like those above are why I dislike "the Justice League would spank the Avengers" type remarks. You could easily put together a team of serving Avengers who could match anything the JLA could field.

Well, if you take the iconic members of both teams, the JLA would most likely win. If you picked the top seven of all members of each team, youd have power levels so high I'd feel sorry for whatever planet the battle takes place. If you took all members of both teams, George Perez's hand would fall off. :)

Well' date=' if you take the iconic members of both teams, the JLA would most likely win. If you picked the top seven of all members of each team, youd have power levels so high I'd feel sorry for whatever planet the battle takes place. If you took all members of both teams, George Perez's hand would fall off. :)[/quote']

But I would pay for the final product...

I think I'd have to go with Lord Laiden on this one 100%... :thumbup:

This was the very mix I was thinking of!!!

• Captain America
  • Thor
  • Iron Man
  • Vision
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Hawkeye
  • The Wasp

That is a very good list to me, It seems to be that the avengers really only have 5 Iconic, with Vision and Wasp not being quite iconic. The last two slots could go with a number of near Iconics (Pym, Wonderman, Wasp, Vision, the list goes on...)

That is a very good list to me' date=' It seems to be that the avengers really only have 5 Iconic, with Vision and Wasp not being quite iconic. The last two slots could go with a number of near Iconics (Pym, Wonderman, Wasp, Vision, the list goes on...)[/quote']

I'd put Cap, IM and Thor on the "Iconic" list, and the fact they are in pretty much every list bears that out. Beyond that, it becomes a judgement call. There have been periods in Avengers history when the other members were not part of the team. Hawkeye was out for a substantial portion of #100 to #200. The Scarlet Witch had periods of inactive status (not as extensive as Quicksilver's). Wasp has had similar inactive periods (again, not as extensive as Hank Pym's). Vision is probably the next closest to iconic, but he's also had breaks with the team.

7 is an artificial number, chosen to match DC, not to strike Iconic Marvel.

The essential Avengers? The Big Seven?

Easy:

Thor

Iron Man

Captain America

Vision

Scarlet Witch

Wonder Man

Beast

I think the above is the most long running and stable line up ever with members like Wasp, Yellowjacket, Black Panther and Quicksilver alternating in and out. But the above are "the stuff" IMO...so write them puppies up!

Vigil

The essential Avengers? The Big Seven?

Easy:

Thor

Iron Man

Captain America

Vision

Scarlet Witch

Wonder Man

Beast

I think the above is the most long running and stable line up ever

What issues do you consider that lineup to have run through? Beast started appearing in the Avengers in the early #130's, if I recall correctly. By #150/151, Thor had left on a leave of absence. beast became a full member at the same time. Wonder Man returned from the dead at the very end of #151 and became a part of the team shortly thereafter. Thor was in and out for a while in the #160's, sort of rejoining in the '170s when everyone was an Avenger (Korvac arc). The government imposed a 7 man roster in about the #180's which did not include all of your picks (Falcon was a member, for example). I believe that's when Beast and Wonder Man left.

I suspect, if someone mapped it out, that Cap/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch/Hawkeye may enjoy the longest unbroken run, starting in #16 and continuing (with some other joiners, in and out) to about #49.

You've nailed the time that I was thinking of exactly, Hugh. I think the Englehart/Shooter run from around 120 to the 180's was the high water mark for The Avengers and i think, similarly, that the team dynamic and characterizations gelled and reached their peak at that time. I think that's the reason why I chose those particular Avengers as "essential" as the thread states.

Long running is another thing entirely. The longest running are, I believe: Captain America, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Hawkeye and probably Iron Man most of whom are in my essential line up anyway.

I think what the thread is trying to get at, if I'm interpreting things correctly is the most "Avengerish" Avengers, not neccessarily the most long running. I chose the line up I did because they were central to the most dynamic period in the team's history, that's all. Otherwise I would have included Hawkeye and the Wasp, too.

Vigil

That's what I'd end up with as well. With Hank Pym, Wonder Man, and Beast as regular reservists and filling in as needed.

edit - and for your next project, the "Essential Seven X-men" ;), to me would be:

Cyclops

Storm

Colossus

Wolverine

Kitty Pryde

Nightcrawler

Rogue

No "Marvel Girl/Phoenix" "Supreme Serpent" ? I would have her in instead of "Rogue" personally and maybe "The Beast" instead of "Colossus" to supply the muscle. "Angel" is the one original member of the original "X-Men" that I would leave out. He would be reduced to "spectator" in that lot I think !

I did some checking and as of 1999 (the most recent stats I could find), the Avengers who have appeared in the most issues are:

1) Captain America (398 issues)

2) Vision (334)

3) Scarlet Witch (323)

4) Iron Man (322)

5) Hawkeye (322)

6) Wasp (313)

7) Hank Pym (in all his various guises) (301)

so Thor is bumped from the top seven to

8) Thor (272)

and rounding out the top ten

9) Wonder Man (217)

10) Quicksilver (160)

with Herk being elimanated from the top ten with

11) Hercules (149 appearances)

with Jarvis actually having 181 appearances! He's a busy guy.

So, by the numbers, those would be the essential Avengers.

Though I still think Wondy should be in there.

Vigil

Maybe it's awfully phallocentric of me, but I always kind of think of Jan as an appendage of Hank. If Wasp is in, then by definition, she's in with her partner Hank. You can't have Wasp without Dr. Pym.

At this point though, it looks like it would be better for Enforcer to stat out about ten guys. What say, Enforcer? Up to that kind of task?

Actually, y'know, there should be a data correction to my listing above.

Hank Pym, in all of his various guises, added up comes to 301 appearances...which would bump Thor out of the top seven and would, therefore, supplant Wony at number eight and bump Herk out of the top ten.

So, Hank makes it into the top seven numerically, but is he more "essential" to the team than Thor, Wonder Man or Quicksilver?