The Marvel Magnificent Seven (Avengers)

Enforcer84

Okay, I have begun (and in some cases finished) writes ups for the JLA "Magnificent Seven"

Aquaman

Batman

The Flash

Green Lantern

Martian Manhunter

Superman

Wonder Woman

That being said, who should I look to as the Avenger's Answer? At this moment my thoughts are:

Captain America

Giant-Man

Hulk

Iron Man

Thor

Vision

Wasp

Is this a good list? The Essential Avengers?

I waffle on replacing Giant Man and Wasp with Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch, but Hank and Jan were originals...Am I forgeting someone?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Marvel Magnificent Seven (Avengers)

Hulk was really briefly an Avenger, I wouldn't call him essential.

Amusingly, most of the sheer powerhouses that have been Avengers that could stand up to members of the JLA, I wouldn't call iconic as far as recognition (I mean, he's one of my favourites, but how many people really know who Quasar is and what his powers are?).

I'd replace Hulk with Scarlet Witch, she's been a big time active Avenger for a good long while, longer and more consistently than her brother even.

Other than that, those are indeed the big Avengers mainstays.

Good luck statting Thor though, his various Mjolnir feats are outright demented.

Actually, good luck statting Wanda at that. There's actual magic user Wanda with mystical senses and everything. There's just mutant probability manipulating, hex bolt throwing Wanda. There's my god Bendis is a hack functionally omnipotent Wanda..

That being said, who should I look to as the Avenger's Answer? At this moment my thoughts are:

Captain America

Giant-Man

Hulk

Iron Man

Thor

Vision

Wasp

Is this a good list? The Essential Avengers?

I waffle on replacing Giant Man and Wasp with Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch, but Hank and Jan were originals...Am I forgeting someone?

Go with your second thoughts.

Captain America, Thor, Iron Man. definitely, not the Avengers without them.

Hulk? Has fought against them as often as with them. Off the list.

The Wonder Man / Scarlet Witch / Vision triangle says Avengers to me.

Hawkeye. Definitely Hawkeye.

Okay, and I fianlly decided to go with a standardized "Avengers" package. It looks like this...for now. I want to throw in the Avengers Id Card which has communications abilities.

BTW, the Avengers team has a Liason from the US Government and is not affiliated with the UN or SHIELD.

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

2 SPD 0

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 0

Cost Skill

2 TF: Quinjet

3 Teamwork 11-

Skills Cost: 5

Cost Perk

5 Access: Avengers Mansion

8 Computer Link: AVENGERS Database

5 Fringe Benefit: Membership: The Avengers (Active Membership)

1 Money: Well Off

2 Reputation: Member of the Avengers (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

5 Vehicles & Bases: Quinjets, Avengers Mansion, other offices - Individual Contribution

Perks Cost: 26

Total Character Cost: 31

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Hunted: Avengers Liason 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Foes of the Avengers 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Social Limitation: Must honor Avengers Bylaws & Charter or face expulsion (Occasionally, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 35

Base Points: 500

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Go with your second thoughts.

Captain America, Thor, Iron Man. definitely, not the Avengers without them.

Hulk? Has fought against them as often as with them. Off the list.

The Wonder Man / Scarlet Witch / Vision triangle says Avengers to me.

Hawkeye. Definitely Hawkeye.

As a HUGE Avengers fan, I'll support this opinion as well. Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch need to be on there. Hulk doesn't belong at all. I'd probably also get rid of Giant Man if you are limited to seven....if I had to choose between him and Wasp.

Rob

Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch. For some reason that's the group that stands out most in my mind. Hank Pym may be a founder, and he's certainly impacted the group tremendously in a variety of ways, but for some reason I don't see him as "definitive" (YMMV, of course). He'd be a great NPC, though, as would Beast & Wonder Man.

I've given some thought to the "definitive" Avengers lineup, since they've always been my favorite comic superteam. IMO it's partly a matter of longtime service, so that "Avenger" is part of how the character is identified; but also the role that the character plays within the team.

Captain America is the soul of the Avengers. He's acknowledged as their greatest leader, tactically and in his ability to inspire. He's universally respected by other heroes and the public at large.

Thor is the Avengers' "big gun," the guy whose power consistently puts them over the top compared to other Marvel teams. His presence always makes the team's opposition take them seriously.

Iron Man has been crucial to the Avengers on several levels: financial patron, chief techno-wizard, frontline fighter and sometime leader.

The Vision really belongs nowhere else than with the Avengers. Though he has left at various times, he always returns as they are his only real family.

The Scarlet Witch has often proven invaluable as the Avengers' mistress of the occult. Other than her brother Quicksilver she also seems to have no other family connection or true home.

If Cap is the soul of the Avengers, Hawkeye is their heart. The Avengers gave him a chance to turn his life around, and that means more to him than just about anything. His hot head has often led him to break ranks with them, but when they need him he always comes running. And he's often the guy with the right arrow at just the right time.

Now, the seventh spot was harder to pin down. There have been many great characters important to the Avengers over the years: Wonder Man, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Beast, and on and on. Of the veterans, Hank Pym and the Wasp have been around since the beginning, and are frequently active Avengers. However, Hank's superheroic guise is constantly shifting - Ant Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and plain Dr. Pym, super-scientist. Not to mention his recurring mental health problems. The Wasp has been more consistent, and has all of Hank's insect-based powers, but has grown as a character over the years, even becoming leader of the Avengers on two occasions.

So, IMHO the seven essential Avengers are:

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

The Vision

The Scarlet Witch

Hawkeye

The Wasp

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

The Vision

The Scarlet Witch

Hawkeye

The Wasp

That's what I said, ya long-winded galoot!

ahem

Sorry. Just wanted to work 'galoot' into a sentence and this seemed as good a time as any :)

Captain America

Iron Man

Thor

Quicksilver

Scarlet Witch

Hawkeye

She Hulk

I went with the above because I feel tradition requires that the Avengers have at least 2 members that can be comfortably built on 500-700 pts and at least two members that need to be built on at least 1500-2000 pts :P

I was never a huge Avengers fan, but the characters that scream Avengers to me are:

Captain America

Iron Man

Thor

Hawkeye

Scarlet Witch

Vision

Pym du jour

I know Pym is an on again off again hero, but so many Avenger plot lines revolved around him in his various versions that I always think of the two together.

Also, from a gamist perspective, Pym is a flexible metamorph AND a gadgeteer, filling out two archetypes otherwise missing.

And finally, I never liked the Wasp. Sorry; that's just the way it is.

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

The Vision

The Scarlet Witch

Hawkeye

The Wasp

That's what I'd end up with as well. With Hank Pym, Wonder Man, and Beast as regular reservists and filling in as needed.

edit - and for your next project, the "Essential Seven X-men" ;), to me would be:

Cyclops

Storm

Colossus

Wolverine

Kitty Pryde

Nightcrawler

Rogue

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

The Vision

The Scarlet Witch

Hawkeye

The Wasp

I second (third, whatever) this list, though it pains me to leave off the Beast. To me he was an Avenger first and an X-Man second.

This lineup has punch. All of them are experienced tacticians and the overall power level is high. Given how Hawkeye is the perfect weakness-exploiter and Cap performs way above his raw power, the only real lightweight here is the Wasp (and some writers beef up her sting to the big leagues).

Well with her stings (solid EB use and potency) and her leadership capability, her run as chairman was one of my favorites, Janet Van Dyne is a really good character to have. I know that some writers are giving her full access to Pyms' particles allowing her to grow, but the shrinker is a cool archetype jsut left alone.

Hawksmoor

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

Vision

Hawkeye

Wasp

Scarlet Witch

this is in consideration of the relative importance of the character in the history of the Avengers, their longevity with the team, etc.

I can't think of an Avengers' lineup that didn't have at least one of these guys in it. Hawkeye was instrumental in the formation of the West Coast Avengers, the Wasp has led the team on more than one occasion, and been one of the longest-serving members, Cap, Thor and IM have all been the nucleus of the team, and the Vision is basically the Avengers' nearest equivalent to Martian Manhunter--the exotic outsider, with funky powers and a solid cleanup hitter able to take down some of the toughest foes. Scarlet Witch is...uh...hot. Plus her power's a pain in the butt to write up, so I figured better you than I.:P