Difficulty reaching Super-Hero status

SteveBerman

I have often found myself having a devil of a time developing superhero characters at the 350 level. I have no trouble reaching 250 points, even 300, but 350 seems really rough with some character concepts.

For example, here's Diesel. She is an ex-soldier and a mechanical genius. She inherited a Golden Age powered armor suit belonging to her grandfather, who used it in WWII. It basically looks like a mechanical man with a unique internal combustion engine.

I don't want her to be hi-tech. Part of the charm of the suit is its low-tech, easy to fix, nature. So any on-board weaponry has to be closer to something from the 1940s than lasers and plasma beams. No flight either. Right now I have oil slick and noxious fumes besides a powered punch.

I haven't done much work on her Disads or fleshing out the background further, as I decided to wait and see if I could reach 350.

:confused:

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone else have this problem? Yes, I would prefer to play in lower-powered campaigns, but that is not always a possibility.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Difficulty reaching Super-Hero status

Depending on the nature of this suit: I would definately put on board a machinegun/tommygun style weapon system. It doesn't necessarily have to fire using RKA's, but it could use dummy/stun rounds.

I would even utilize some crossbow like devices or Air Powered guns and grappling launchers.

But then again - try and picture your golden age suit of Armor and the tech level assosciated with it. If you see it as a 1800's steam powered locomotive machine it will be a power house, or just a character enhancer?

Without looking at the character (no HD at work for some reason...), some thoughts:

Use fewer disads.

A couple of overall levels are amazingly useful things.

If the suit's OIF, consider dropping it to an OIHID to represent a suit she's not going to have taken away and that can be easily fixed.

If you want to take the character in other directions, just because the SUIT is low-tech, doesn't mean everything she has has to be. Carry around some OAF modern devices/weapons too.

Some damage reduction or just buying extra stun can suck points fast and make the character tougher without becoming overpowering. Having that extra 20-30 stun available to suck that first cheap shot/NND and still be able to carry on is verrry handy.

Saving a few points (like 10 or less) is sometimes a good idea. Often after a session or two you'll notice a gap or something that the character "should have had all along", like a particular skill, and it's nice to be able to go ahead and add it.

Since the suit's pretty simple, you might invest in defenses vs. things that target machines, like cyberkinesis, etc., assuming that the GM won't give you an automatic pass based on SFX.

More speed. 4 speed in hero ID is just sad when you aren't a Brick.

And as you have a bunch of INT based skills bought up individually, you should probably buy INT up too. a 12 INT is no kind of genious, not even a mechanical one.

Built in parachute as Gliding. Could even buy it persistant and triggered. Just in case. :-D

Climbing claws, as clinging.

And I second the notion of adding weaponry, either built in, or just carried.

And skill levels. As a genious, some overalls would fit.

One of the joys of playing in higher point games is having the luxury of spending points on something other than powers. You've given yourself a conceptual cap on the effectiveness of the suit powers so I'd say that fleshing out your background is the way to go.

I have three words for you: skills, skills and yet more skills!

What did she do in the army? You have some soldier related skills, but depending on her specialty she could have things like climbing, breakfall, oratory, systems op, paramedics, etc. Don't forget hobbies or (literal) professional skills she picked up before or after the military, if nothing else, you can get some good comic relief from PS: Fast Food Worker. If grandpa was a superhero you could have a KS of his career and/or superheroes in general. How long has she had the suit? She could have skill levels with it's weapons and a KS of it's systems.

You could also have perks or disads related to the suit and the fact that she's a legacy hero. If any of her grandfather's allies or enemies are still around you could take them as contacts or hunteds. How about a reputation for the suit?

Honestly, I like the way you've started with the character. But I can definately see some areas where you could spend some points (which is a problem I can't say that I have... I usually have to cut things out of my characters)

First off I assume that this is a character for a game you want to play in. If so, talk with the GM and find out what his rough benchmarks are for CVs, Speed, Damage Classes and so on. Combat isn't the only thing, not by a long shot, but you might want to know where you'll be weighing in.

Right now, you have fairly solid offense in terms of damage (13 dice on a counterstrike, 11 dice on a defensive strike). Your base CVs seem a little low to me, especially your DCV given what your defenses are like. Her speed seems a little low given her defenses and CVs.

So, I'd look into upping her defenses some (especially her ED, a supervillain with an energy-based EB will kick her around the block)... Maybe damage reduction or some PD/ED bought through the armor. (could be defined as a padded suit she wears under the armor)

She seems to not have a significant movement power, which can be fine, but it is something to keep in mind. (she moves fine in combat, but out of combat she might end up having to spend a lot of time catching up with other people) A simple Turbine Jump Pack for either limited flight or bonus leaping seems like it could work for her.

Her limited air supply seems to be very short lived (1 turn is 12 seconds), maybe you would want to increase that?

Given that she is an ex-soldier, I'd expect her to have some combat skill levels of some sort (and I'd expect slightly higher base physical stats). Other things to look into, maybe a few more contacts (other soliders she served with who are now in the private sector and so on, the previous wearer of the suit, etc.), maybe a base (the garage where she works on the suit)

And, lastly, since she's a former soldier, I definately think she'd see the value of adding in some ranged weapons... maybe a concussion grenade launcher or something?

Overall, though, I like the concept and like a lot of what you've done with her. :)

Grandpa could have tought her some of her mechanical expertice. If the suit is so easy to repair it should be easy to modify too. Buy a small Varable power pool to sumilate some modifications she can make to the armor to adapt to the current misson specs.

An underwater mission? she installs a rebreather mechinism and some thrust perpellers.

Fighting evil robots? A Tesla ray to distrupt their computers (won't affect her suit :) )

She gets sick of shouting 'wait up for me' to her teamates, she could put some wheels in the heals of the boots. Or some Rockiteer style jet thrusters.

All sorts of cool things she could do with this Varrable power pool.

Someone in a suit of power armour is a Brick.

I'd go the other direction for a "primitive" suit of power armour actually. While I can't read those hero creator files, instead of increasing speed, I'd pile on the armour and make it oversized, durable, slow moving, and packing a heavy cannon. I'd also make sure that since the suit is so large and clunky, that the character inside is a kick *** heroic character in his or her right.

I just glanced over it, but here are a few things I spotted:

Characteristics:

Intelligence feels too low. While (according to HERO) a genius could have a 5 INT or a 30 INT, to operate a battlesuit, I'd think a higher INT would be justified (better perception/reaction times).

Additional PRE w/a -1 Lim "only for attacks" wouldn't be inappropriate.

Nothing wrong with adding some looks (Com) to Diesel.

Put normal Speed to 4 with the Battlesuit increasing it to 5 (or just keep it at 4 in both forms).

STUN! Your normal stun could be higher (more later).

Skills:

Combat Skill levels, and others. More Army related skills (especially Weapon Familiarity). Give the character a hobby, then put in skills to compliment it. A KS regarding the time would be appropriate. A modern character could have KS: Superhumans while a WW2 might have KS: German Army/Japanese Army (note: I did Army, not military). Perhaps System Operations as well.

Perks:

I'd increase the Pentagon contact to "Organization." It's only 6 more points, and could prove more useful.

Talents:

Perhaps Absolute Range and/or Time sense as part of the battlesuit, maybe Bump of Direction, too. Maybe Eidetic Memory (camera) could be a part of the suit.

Martial Arts:

Not bad, but I'd clarify if the suit can use the MA or not. If not, maybe put a Phys Lim in Disad section.

Powers:

I'm just glazing over these, but STR, DEX, and CON really should have the "No Figured Characteristics" as a part of them.

Since this seems very WW2 theme, A flamethrower would be appropriate (AoE,line, reduced range), as would a machine gun (maybe two: one RKA, one EB "Rubber bullets, honest"). A bazooka as well.

Disadvantages:

I think the Phys Lim you have would be better listed as a Distinctive Feature.

Well, that's all for now. ;) Looks good, though. :thumbup: Would you tell us more about the campaign and what the GM is looking for? That might help us flesh out this beast. :sneaky:

I'd go the other direction for a "primitive" suit of power armour actually. While I can't read those hero creator files, instead of increasing speed, I'd pile on the armour and make it oversized, durable, slow moving, and packing a heavy cannon. I'd also make sure that since the suit is so large and clunky, that the character inside is a kick *** heroic character in his or her right.

Someone with 35 STR and 25 PD 15 ED isn't even in the neighborhood of 'Brick'. They wouldn't be able to walk past a construction sight and recognize a brick. A piece of red cubic masonry could fall near them, and they wouldn't know it was a Brick.

Not true. Cavalier, Defender, Hazard, and Lazar aren't considered bricks. It's all in the write up. I think that most of our thoughts lend toward brick (Anklyosaur, Armadillo, Juggernaut, etc.).

BTW' date=' Mr. Berman, if you are the same "Steve Berman" with many published RPG books and articles to his credit, Welcome. It's always nice to have the pros drop by our humble digs. [/quote']

:o Guilty as charged. Damn, it's been a while since I wrote anything for RPGs. I'm always surprised people remember that stuff.

If the suit's OIF, consider dropping it to an OIHID to represent a suit she's not going to have taken away and that can be easily fixed.

Wow, what an intriguing notion. I've honestly never seen powered armor bought like this -- granted, I am not familiar with the rule system as most posters. Makes me envision her garage filled with parts so she could build the Diesel suit again rather easily if something happened to it.

-- Steve

And as you have a bunch of INT based skills bought up individually, you should probably buy INT up too. a 12 INT is no kind of genious, not even a mechanical one.

Built in parachute as Gliding. Could even buy it persistant and triggered. Just in case. :-D

Climbing claws, as clinging.

And I second the notion of adding weaponry, either built in, or just carried.

And skill levels. As a genious, some overalls would fit.

Well, I always envisioned the character as a mechanical natural but not very bright in other areas. Almost like she had a knack for the skill.

I like the parachute idea.

One of the joys of playing in higher point games is having the luxury of spending points on something other than powers. You've given yourself a conceptual cap on the effectiveness of the suit powers so I'd say that fleshing out your background is the way to go.

I have three words for you: skills, skills and yet more skills!

What did she do in the army? You have some soldier related skills, but depending on her specialty she could have things like climbing, breakfall, oratory, systems op, paramedics, etc. Don't forget hobbies or (literal) professional skills she picked up before or after the military, if nothing else, you can get some good comic relief from PS: Fast Food Worker. If grandpa was a superhero you could have a KS of his career and/or superheroes in general. How long has she had the suit? She could have skill levels with it's weapons and a KS of it's systems.

You could also have perks or disads related to the suit and the fact that she's a legacy hero. If any of her grandfather's allies or enemies are still around you could take them as contacts or hunteds. How about a reputation for the suit?

So true. Thanks! :thumbup:

Honestly' date=' I like the way you've started with the character. [/quote']

First off I assume that this is a character for a game you want to play in. If so' date=' talk with the GM and find out what his rough benchmarks are for CVs, Speed, Damage Classes and so on. Combat isn't the only thing, not by a long shot, but you might want to know where you'll be weighing in. [/quote']

I'm hoping to play her, but it's all rather nebulous. The GM is not very serious about running sometimes.

Her limited air supply seems to be very short lived (1 turn is 12 seconds)' date=' maybe you would want to increase that?[/quote']

Gack, that is a bad error. I meant that she probably has a few minutes of air supply in the event of an emergency. I have to fix this.

Given that she is an ex-soldier' date=' I'd expect her to have some combat skill levels of some sort (and I'd expect slightly higher base physical stats). Other things to look into, maybe a few more contacts (other soliders she served with who are now in the private sector and so on, the previous wearer of the suit, etc.), maybe a base (the garage where she works on the suit) [/quote']

All good suggestions.

Grandpa could have tought her some of her mechanical expertice. If the suit is so easy to repair it should be easy to modify too. Buy a small Varable power pool to sumilate some modifications she can make to the armor to adapt to the current misson specs.

An underwater mission? she installs a rebreather mechinism and some thrust perpellers.

Fighting evil robots? A Tesla ray to distrupt their computers (won't affect her suit :) )

She gets sick of shouting 'wait up for me' to her teamates, she could put some wheels in the heals of the boots. Or some Rockiteer style jet thrusters.

All sorts of cool things she could do with this Varrable power pool.

Tempting, but I have always been intimidated by VPPs.

I just glanced over it, but here are a few things I spotted:

Characteristics:

Intelligence feels too low. While (according to HERO) a genius could have a 5 INT or a 30 INT, to operate a battlesuit, I'd think a higher INT would be justified (better perception/reaction times).

As I mentioned in response to another recommendation to raise her INT, I just don't feel as if she's booksmart or savvy.

Nothing wrong with adding some looks (Com) to Diesel.

Oh she's way too butch. I envision her physically as squat but still in good shape. Guys wouldn't really be into her, but that doesn't bother her at all if you get my drift.

Perks:

I'd increase the Pentagon contact to "Organization." It's only 6 more points, and could prove more useful.

Talents:

Perhaps Absolute Range and/or Time sense as part of the battlesuit, maybe Bump of Direction, too. Maybe Eidetic Memory (camera) could be a part of the suit.

The perk is possible. But the suit is too low-tech I think for any system talents.

Martial Arts:

Not bad, but I'd clarify if the suit can use the MA or not. If not, maybe put a Phys Lim in Disad section.

Oh, I wanted her to do the MA in the suit.

Powers:

I'm just glazing over these, but STR, DEX, and CON really should have the "No Figured Characteristics" as a part of them.

Can I ask why this is usually done?

Since this seems very WW2 theme, A flamethrower would be appropriate (AoE,line, reduced range), as would a machine gun (maybe two: one RKA, one EB "Rubber bullets, honest"). A bazooka as well.

Hmm, this is all too lethal seeming for me. Grandpa's suit probably had the flamethrower but his son would have removed it for the 70s.

Well, that's all for now. ;) Looks good, though. :thumbup: Would you tell us more about the campaign and what the GM is looking for? That might help us flesh out this beast. :sneaky:

Oh, right now there is no real theme to the campaign. The potential GM wants to give me a break from running my PAtrol (Pennsylvannia supers) campaign. I'm not sure what he intends.

Steve

Wow, what an intriguing notion. I've honestly never seen powered armor bought like this -- granted, I am not familiar with the rule system as most posters. Makes me envision her garage filled with parts so she could build the Diesel suit again rather easily if something happened to it.

-- Steve

OIHID has been used in a few published PA builds, and quite a few fan ones. It's the classic "Iron Man" approach. Although IM's armor resembles a Focus, it's never removed from his body even when he's unconscious, except under extraordinary circumstances, and rarely seriously damaged other than as a plot device. Actually changing into it can sometimes be very difficult, though, depending on having access to the suit, or Tony Stark trying to preserve his Secret ID.

I'd remove the limitations on your dex and speed. I don't see how the armor as you described it makes the wearer more agile.

1 more point of int actualy saves you points.

I'd consider scaling up the pilot to a more heroic stature generally, if you want to emphase the limits of the armor. also you'll probablly have more fun if the GM puts you in a situation where you don't have access to the suit

Knockback resistance is in theme and with your low speed you don't want to waste actions getting up. (oh wait you already have that)

extra running in a wheeled mode (say kneel down and have wheels on your knees and toes) to be able to chase down hoodlums in their getaway cars.

maybe some kind of multi-use launchable grapnel on a retractable cable?

For example, here's Diesel. She is an ex-soldier and a mechanical genius. She inherited a Golden Age powered armor suit belonging to her grandfather, who used it in WWII. It basically looks like a mechanical man with a unique internal combustion engine.

I haven't done much work on her Disads or fleshing out the background further, as I decided to wait and see if I could reach 350.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a positive Reputation and/or Contacts derived from the character's multi-generational aspect. The suit's been around a long time, and presumably Grandpa knew some people that may help out "for old time's sake".

[i don't use HDC, so maybe that's already in the character.]

Given the nature of the character, some Rep, PRE and leadership skills could also allow her to fill the "Captain America" role of leacer and person everyone else looks up to.

I would definately think about building your powers into a Multi-Power. This will save you quite a bit of points.

So you can have a Multipower (Diesel Armor Suit Weapons)

1) Diesel Fumes (I think this needs to be reworked - the EB NND you may need to purchase personal immunity, no range, area of affect 2" radius)

2) Oil Slick (I think this should have a vulnerability of fire)

I would really re-think the flamethrower idea. Instead of having it removed - have it retooled. Maybe it holds some high pressured goo or flame retardant now?

But the suit is too low-tech I think for any system talents.

Too low-tech for a clock, a compass, and a mechanical range-finder? ;)

Oh' date=' right now there is no real theme to the campaign. The potential GM wants to give me a break from running my PAtrol (Pennsylvannia supers) campaign. I'm not sure what he intends.[/quote']

In that case, it's probably not a bad thing that you have a few extra unspent points. Once you get more guidance from the GM there's certain to be things you want/need to add.

Overall, I think you've created a character that is fairly good at a lot of things, but doesn't really excel in any one area. If you intend Diesel to be primarily a HtH fighter, you might consider upping STR and HA damage some more. Or buy some "brick tricks."

Definitely some Combat Skill Levels, if you want to be able to hit anything. More skills all the way around, really.

You might want to consider Density Increase, depending on how heavy the suit is.

You've got good Flash Def, but you might think about Power Def.

Have you thought about tying the suit powers into an END Reserve?

As far as your general question, no I don't usually have much trouble reaching 350. Maybe it's because I play a lot of heroic-level games, but I can easily burn up 150-200 points on stats, skills, etc before I even look at superpowers. Doesn't work for all character concepts, of course. If I do have trouble reaching 350, it usually means I'm building a one-trick-pony and need to re-think my concept to make it more well-rounded. (Not saying that's the case with Diesel; I'm just talking in general.)