A Question of Utmost Importance

gojira

How do you pronounce Mjolnir anyway? I was reading the UNITY 2010 campaign thread and thought this was just the coolnest name for a team air craft ever. Then I realized I had no idea how to pronounce it.

I found this on the web:

"Mjolnir - Myohl-nehr (the y being another consonate. It's a Svedish verd, ja, like da Bjork)."

I think this was the best I could find. It seemed the most authoritative overall, but can anyone confirm or deny it?

Re: A Question of Utmost Importance

One of my Norse mythology books indicates: miohl-neer.

I was close, at least. :)

Gotta make sure I can properly mangle the pronunciation later, though, for when either Bulldozer or Foxbat find the thing in my game. :D

"BEHOLD THE MIGHT OF Muh-jawl-nyer! Uh ... Midge-ol'-neer? Uh, BEHOLD THE MIGHT OF MY HAMMER!"

Ah, and the emphasis on the first syllable. Cool, this sounds good.

"BEHOLD THE MIGHT OF Muh-jawl-nyer! Uh ... Midge-ol'-neer? Uh' date=' BEHOLD THE MIGHT OF MY HAMMER!"[/quote']

Right, exactly. You see why it's such an important question. Who'd want to find something cool like Mjolnir and then not be able to say it?

Considering that Mjolnir was supposed to be so heavy that only Thor was strong enough to lift it' date=' I'd love to watch Foxbat just try to claim it. :snicker:[/quote']

"BEHOLD THE MIGHT OF MY ..." *grunt*strain*lift*heave*SPLORT* "... hernia."

(I'd probably give Foxy Thor's Belt of Strength while I was at it. Thanks for pointing that out.)

from http://www.pantheon.org/

Mjollnir

In Norse myth, the hammer that belongs to the mighty god Thor. Mjollnir ("that smashes") was made for him by the dwarfs Brok and Eitri, who made many magical objects for the gods. Every time Thor threw the hammer lightning flashed, after which it returned to his right hand, on which he wore an iron glove. Mjollnir was greatly feared by the frost giants, the enemies of the gods, for Thor had dispatched a large number of them, among which the giant Hrungnir.

After Thor's death, his sons Magni and Modi will inherit the hammer.

Old Norse: Mjöllnir. The Russian word for lightning is 'molniya'.

Mjol•nir

Pronunciation: (myôl'nir),

Considering that Mjolnir was supposed to be so heavy that only Thor was strong enough to lift it' date=' I'd love to watch Foxbat just try to claim it. :snicker:[/quote']

I believe that not being able to lift the hammer was a marvel invention- The norse myths include a time Loki stole the hammer and gave it to giants, then when he reliezed what a mistake he had made he convinced Thor to wear a dress as part of the plan to get it back....:P

How do you pronounce Mjolnir anyway? I was reading the UNITY 2010 campaign thread and thought this was just the coolnest name for a team air craft ever.
Just to keep the record straight, keyes_bill borrowed the name for his team's UNITY 2010 aircraft from our team's starship Mjölnir, as he himself acknowledged. Our team, MidGuard, is secretly based in Norway and has always used Norse mythology as a source for code names. Our first team jet (long since shot down) was called Bifrost, after the fabled Rainbow Bridge of Asgard.

We've always pronounced it Mee-yolner. :D

Just to keep the record straight' date=' keyes_bill borrowed the name for his team's UNITY 2010 aircraft from our team's starship Mjölnir, as he himself acknowledged. [/quote']

Borrowed? I did no such thing! I outright stole it! ;)

Bill.

(Stole -- pronounced, "Styohl"). :D

How do you pronounce Mjolnir anyway? I was reading the UNITY 2010 campaign thread and thought this was just the coolnest name for a team air craft ever. Then I realized I had no idea how to pronounce it.

Hey, cool, someone is still reading my thread! :dance:

Bill.

(Whuddja think?) :D

According to Stan "The Man" Lee, the name of Thor's hammer is made up. He was asked what the pronunciation was and he said "Mole Near"

'nuff said

Exactly. I was glad to see they got it right in the recent Ultimate Avengers DVD.

According to Stan "The Man" Lee, the name of Thor's hammer is made up. He was asked what the pronunciation was and he said "Mole Near"

'nuff said

Uh, Stan da Man is pulling your leg then.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazed, I just raided my bookshelf, and right away found reference to Mjollnir, by name, in a book copywrited 1920.

Most of my reference library is still in storage or I'd have dug out a copy of the Prose Edda. Right now, Heimskringla is the only collection of epic norse poetry on my shelves tho (I'm not counting the Kalevala, as its Finnish, with a totally different mythos), and it deals with a much later period and has to do with men, not gods.