FANTASY HERO Playtest Manuscript Now Available

Steve Long

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

I've read about two-thirds of it, skimming some sections, and all I can say is Wow! Not that there was ever any doubt on my part, but that's DEFINITELY one book I'm buying.

I love the various magic systems.

Too bad we can't give you a medal for this, Steve. :D

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

I think the extremely high demand for FH (judging by playtest activity, far higher than anything else to come down the pike so far) is, um, skewing things somewhat.

I am liking all that playtest activity. It means I do not have to feel guilty for not delving into it too much. :)

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

How dare you not spend every waking moment analyzing the manuscript. How dare you!

I am sorry! I meant to spend more time analyzing the manuscript but my dog died, my parrot flew away with my car keys, my computer was attacked by the Pamela Anderson virus, my eyes were accidentally burned out while I was playing with matches, and I cannot seem to find my spouse who fell down a gopher hole on Monday. I will get back on that manuscript right after the Pamela Anderson virus is eradicated though. :)

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Annnnnnd just exactly _how_ are you posting that with the Pamela Anderson Virus still on your computer?????????????

Are you really going to complain about getting the Pamela Anderson Virus on your PC? Granted its an old virus that we've all seen do the same thing over and over and over...but I'd prefer it to the Singing William Shatner Virus thats been going around.

As for the Fantasy Hero playtesting...I went to the Playtest thread and was told to send (pm/email) my input/reports to Ben. I haven't gotten any feedback (not that I'm concerned really), so I don't know if it was recieved (well or otherwise).

I don't know who told you to send playtest reports or comments to Ben; that's completely incorrect. Send 'em to me at SteveL@herogames.com if you'd rather not just post 'em on the playtest board.

Geoff is correct about the lack of feedback. I generally don't reply to playtest posts or submissions, except to say "Thanks!". Generally speaking, I don't have time to get involved in detailed discussions of the points of a manuscript -- I don't think it helps anyone to get into a lot of wrangling during playtesting. If you make a suggestion that I like and can use, you'll find out when you see it in the final book. The majority of suggestions I don't take, though -- some I disagree with or dislike, some are wrong, some come from incorrect perspectives about the nature of the book, some would require too much work during layout, some are opinions that contradict my own, and so on. Regardless, all suggestions are valued and appreciated!

Originally posted by Steve Long

I don't know who told you to send playtest reports or comments to Ben; that's completely incorrect. Send 'em to me at SteveL@herogames.com if you'd rather not just post 'em on the playtest board.

This was at the playtest forum area from Ben...

[b}Reporting Threads (05-12-2003 until 06-12-2003)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW POLICY FOR REPORTING THREADS

I have finally found a way to turn of the Report this post to a Moderator function. So, in the future, simply Private Message me, or e-mail me.

Thanks![/b]

Maybe I just read it wrong or something...I won't argue the point. I will send my comments/report to you from one Steve to the next. And thanks for taking the time to peruse said comments/reports.

-Steve "Darth Sarcastic" Heller

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic

This was at the playtest forum area from Ben...

Maybe I just read it wrong or something...I won't argue the point. I will send my comments/report to you from one Steve to the next. And thanks for taking the time to peruse said comments/reports.

-Steve "Darth Sarcastic" Heller

That's just for reporting Abusive Threads/Posters. If you see any of those, send 'em to Ben.

Playtest stuff, well that goes to Steve.

D

Originally posted by misterdeath

That's just for reporting Abusive Threads/Posters. If you see any of those, send 'em to Ben.

Playtest stuff, well that goes to Steve.

D

Ditto. Also, rather than sending them to Steve directly, just post them in the Play Test forum. Then all the rest of us can check it, corroborate it, become aware of it, not bother posting the same thing about it ourselves, etc.

Thanx!

Mana

The section "Magic is a Natural Resource" incorrectly refers to "mana" as a Biblical term. "Mana", meaning the energy of magic, is a word from the Maori of New Zealand. It should not be confused with the similar-looking but unrelated Biblical term "manna", with a double 'n', meaning a miraculous food.

Heh. That mana/manna thing has always bugged me too.

FWIW, technically mana is a polynesian root languages word. You find it in maori, but also other polynesian languages. Generally, it means "Power" rather than specifically magic, although as in most pre-literate societies, there's a fairly thin line between the two - a powerful chief can have lots of mana without being able to cast spells :-)

cheers, Mark