WWYCD: Fundamentalist against non-tech supers.

AdamLeisemann

Re: WWYCD: Fundamentalist against non-tech supers.

Firestorm would crank her Publicity Machine up to Max and use her sex appeal and oratory skills to their best advantage.

And she'd wear as little as she could get away with.

And have similarly attired friends circulate and hand out pamphlets supporting Supers.

The Fundie wouldn't have a prayer !!!

This sort of thing is beneath Mind Flair's notice. As she has retired from crimefighting and no longer has Police Powers she would leave this to the Active Heroes.

Wicca's too. She worries about dimension-spanning crises, not one man in one reality. If he IS backed by some powerful nasty, she'd definitely get involved.

Dragon Jane would assist Firestorm.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Badger- His father was an alien. So I guess he is Satan's spawn to this guy (is he jack Chick BTW :P ). His mother was a Catholic (hmm, Jack Chick wannabe probably really hates Badger huh?). Badger ended up orphaned and was considered a freak, so nothing new to him. A bad guy in the past, he has come to terms somewhat. He still has his...errr....anger issues. But he has kind of come to terms with religion. He is still a Christian, but tends to be anti-organized religion, believing several of the various denominations are allowing themselves to be corrupted by greed (yadda, yadda). He seems to believe that finding salvation is more of finding through "philosophical" soul-searching, and looking through the Bible and interpreting it with a clear mind. (Note: Never played in detail with religion with character, but basing on background and growth, this is how I "interpret" his opinions). He would be disappointing that another knee-jerk reactionary fundamentalist has "damned" him and his kind once again. Not surprised though. He'd leave the nut alone. If someone tries a go at him, that person will never be heard from again likely. Badger is not a martyr. He is unsure (probably) he himself can be saved. But believes freaks are no more evil (and on a bad day, sometimes less so) than normal humans. He would do his very best to stay "good" and not hurt anyone. But, as I mentioned if someone tries to kill him, he would react by maim/kill that person. Just the way of battle, in his mind. If possible he may (surprisingly, as he is not a "talk first" person) confront the nut and ask "Why are your opinions this way?" Note: To clarify a little better, he would avoid trying to kill anyone, because he doesnt want anything bad being brought down on weaker supers who may be veulnerable to normals. As far as being attacked, he is unlikely to kill a normal for the most part, but he may if provoked and his anger/bloodlust gets to rising. At least if his teammates arent around to keep him in check.

Frosty Bob- "hmm, I wonder how he feels about my deal with Death for immortality? Oh, well who cares, time to party." :D

Blackberry would be terribly afraid for the various charitable organizations she works with and volunteers for. She isn't very sneaky nor underhanded, but she is very sharp, so she'd do everything she could to make sure the holes in the logic of this nasty person were carefully scrutinized by the public.

Blackberry would be defensive; she's comfortable with who she is, but many of her relatives would also be characterized by the man as soulless, and she just gets so steamed when her friends and relatives are insulted or threatened.

Bunny would certainly be a target of the rhetoric, given her general appearance as a humanoid rabbit, the fact she's from another planet, and, most likely, the fact that she's leans far enough to the left on most social issues to send a neo-conservative batty. (Her interchangeable prosthetic limbs and nanotech-based powers probably wouldn't make things any worse for her.)

Given her nanite-built-diamond Wealth, and her 'Pink Bunny' charitable foundation, she has a reasonable amount of Non-Combat Influence to point a finger and laugh at the preacher's sillier points.

Now, if this preacher fellow were to show up in Bunny's current game, one of the most likely ways to discredit him could easily involve putting some hidden cameras in place to reveal that despite his public rhetoric, the preacher had certain unhealthy appetites for the "non-humans" he claims to despise... and when /those/ tapes are threatened to be released to the media, or actually are, problem solved.

Assuming she's gone public by this point, Faye would tackle him straight on: Fly into his church during one of his sermons. "I've been waiting for someone like you to show up. Since you like the Bible so much, let me give you a little quote: 'And Jesus said to his disciples, "I give you power over unclean spirits."' So, if I'm either an unclean spirit or empowered by them, you should be able to strip me of my powers, or at least drive me from your church just by ordering it. Up for it?"

A lot of people seem to be assuming that this Preacher has some kind of dirty laundry to uncover.

If he's a good and honest man who really has nothing to do with the violent attacks against innocent citizens who happen to be Supers, there's not much the characters can do beyond a counter-publicity campaign and legal wrangling. It's not really a Superhero adventure at that point.

Defending the people - all people - is what Thia does. He's most likely to create a series of squads, specially designated to investigate/patrol high danger areas. Generally speaking when things like this happen, they occur in a tight zone. He'll then assign Jarome to spy directly on the preacher and (good idea, I can't rep yet, but I will) to dig up any and all dirt on this cat - including quite possibly setting him up (or logically arguing) that he has powers himself.

Finally, he'd dispatch his two top Lieutenants to negotiate with the local law enforcement agencies (Thia, in a modern setting, has both Rank and Police Powers, as do his aide-de-camps) to assist in the investigation in any and all ways possible. He'd also want to take a piece out of the guy's hide directly, but knows in this case he's far better served deploying his forces than going and smacking the clearly mistaken man upside the head.

Thia recieves Divine Power - which means the guy just called a Paladin the Spawn of Satan. Thia would take that quite personally - so personally, that it would take massive restraint (which he has plenty of) to not go knock the guy's head in for blasphemy and preaching of false prophets.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that this Preacher has some kind of dirty laundry to uncover.

It's been my experience that this kind of cockroach usually has some truly FILTHY laundry hidden away.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary reccommends dropping the subject now.

He'll then assign Jarome to spy directly on the preacher and (good idea' date=' I can't rep yet, but I will) to dig up any and all dirt on this cat - including quite possibly setting him up (or logically arguing) that he has powers himself.[/quote']

Of course, if I were the GM, the man would be just waiting for a move exactly like that - might even have planted evidence of the sort in his own background files so that anyone who dug far enough would find it. Presumably, anyone who realized that the evidence was planted would just assume that someone else (with the same intentions) had gotten there before them.

They'd be right, but only partially. The preacher is just waiting for the right catalyst to let him make himself into a martyr - and a self-sacrificing prophet is exactly what he needs to tap into the worldwide religious fervor and trigger another Megascale conversion.

Assuming she's gone public by this point' date=' [b']Faye[/b] would tackle him straight on: Fly into his church during one of his sermons. "I've been waiting for someone like you to show up. Since you like the Bible so much, let me give you a little quote: 'And Jesus said to his disciples, "I give you power over unclean spirits."' So, if I'm either an unclean spirit or empowered by them, you should be able to strip me of my powers, or at least drive me from your church just by ordering it. Up for it?"

The guy could accuse her of having made a pact with Satan/Demons for her power. She's not an unclean spirit but a witch and there's no direct dominion over those. Of course he can pray at her and have no effect, but a good con man could spin that as being the parishner's or the world in general's fault for "not having enough faith".

And if your gm is truly evil: he could exert power over her... He's a mutant himself...and you just made him holy, giving him an excuse for him and his follower to demonstrate more "divine" powers in the future....

Whisper: Actually being a demonic entity, he would be asking Mistress if he could please hide inside her or, at the very least, eat this twit and his followers. No? Aww.

The Specter: Okay. So now wouldn't be a good time to be revealing that he's a 162 year old mutant immortal. ;) He would be trying to rally various technological/skill-based supers to publicly decry his rhetoric. His arguments are based on emotions instead of logic, and thus logic has no effect against it.

Leatherback: Would ask for an oportunity to publically refute this bigot on national television and would bring along his confessor while he's at it. "Leatherback? A spawn of Satan? No, he's a good Catholic who believes in using his abilities to help the needy. Oh, I can't tell you much more than that, the seal of the confessional forbids it, but I can vouch that he's a good soul, don't let the scales and wings fool you."

NOTE: Leatherback has been described as resembling the 2-armed, winged love-child of Grond. Many reporters have also been surprised by the presence of his St. Christopher's medalion. Of course, some Protestants will be using this as "proof that the Papists are in league with the Wyrm", but Tommy's (Leatherback) plans often backfire like this.

In fiction at least. In real life' date=' this is not ALWAYS the case.[/quote']

Even then, they tend to have something to hide.

For instance, many gay-bashers are, ironically, gay themselves but refuse to acknowledge it. That's what we call denial.

As they say, "Denial is a river in Africa."

But okay. Let's advance this situation now. Those who did their reasearch have now found out the following:

This so-called holyman is one of three (two brothers and a sister) doing the same thing. The other two are in different cities. This is part of a plan called "Revelations," with many references to the Bible.

The preacher has a number of cybernetic implants according to his medical record. Including a chip in his brain that gives him psionic powers. (This includes mind control.) It can only be assumed that the other two have the same hidden inplants. One record indicates his entire arm being replaced aster it was blown off by an energy killing-attack during a super slugfest (he was a bystander apparently).

Any plans to reveal his powers reveals only the following:

His right arm is a peice of metal with a synthetic flesh overlay.

Attempts to outdo his oratory or to campaign agasinst his word have shown little success. Somehow, mind control is suspect. Those supers confronted and yet survived have notices glowing eyes on the normals. The glow goes away when the attacker is unconscious. Possibly mind control was used.

So now what?

It's been my experience that this kind of cockroach usually has some truly FILTHY laundry hidden away.

Usually, yes, they do.

Usually.

I was just commenting on the unspoken assumption that this one in particular does.

Don't know how it would work for an RPG, but an interesting twist is that this guy is just doing what he thinks is right by preaching against "satan's servents". He's still dead wrong, and dangerous, but not dirty or a hypocrit.

So now what?

Hmm, Hornet will start analyzing, checking for any signals sent out by this guy, in connection with his suspected implants. He may call upoon team members to be walking targets for a set up trap--once he can identify recent attendees, confirm the suspicion of mind control with analysis of captured attempted murderers, its straight to infiltrate and apprehend--with his team or via the local authorities. (Preferably his team who has a strong mentalist) Since this preacher is part of a multi-state hate crime organization, the FBI gets a call--sieze their assets, raid and storm his broer and sisters place with help of local hero teams. Hornet will work on likely interfereance technology to remove his 'human shield' of controlled followers he will be adamant about protecting. (Silver/Bronze game) Then he'll make a fairly comprehensive public announcment displaying the means used to assert control over the normals. After the guy is captured, Hornet will assist in the removal of any Cybernetic enhancements.

Ranger (3)--(Covert operations/black work type for the government) upon finding evidence of mind control technology plot tries to detect any limitations, weakness of it. That said..he infiltrates, and terminates the guy. He leaves it for someone else to make the public announcement and figure things out. He then moves out to eliminate the rest of the leaders--if he can't get them all together at once. He'll try to avoid hurting anyone else unless it impedes the mission. (High powered iron age campaign.) And truthfully..he'll want a look at the technology.

Schaister doesn't change his plan much--he still steals from him, then tips off his iformation as much as he can did up to the do gooders, then gets the heck out of their. This guy is a bit too whacko, and whackos get grumpy when conned. (lower power bronze campaign)

Blaze (Bronze). Csmic power wielder..not subtle. He actually probably needs to change to his secret identity, his is a pretty sharp technician to work on it..though its annoying, since his 'normal' personal is a wimp. (Blaze has a little multiple personality disorder thing going on). Maybe a little EMP action yto start off with on Mr. Cybernetic (bye bye mind control), then a vigourous thumping. He's too much of a Glory hound to think of notifying others to hit the other branches at the same time, unless hsi team mates can make him think before acting.

Nadia: (Teen champions necromancer w/ a touch of vampire blood)

Becomes discusted with the news, and gets up from the couch in the student lounge. "What part of Dark Arts does he not understand? Tim, can you make a machine to give someone superpowers? Why are you all looking at me like that? You all seem a bit more nervous than usual. What ever, i am going to go play my guitar. When he gets the torch and the pitchfork and you decide you need me you know where to find me."

Sentinal builds a device to short out the preacher's cybernetics. Let's see how persuasive he is without his goodies. Sentinal wears power-armor, but he has teammates with powers, and this individual is obviously intent on making life more difficult.

Sentinal's teammate, the Infraggable Krunk would probably grab the preacher and take him for a ride as he patrols the city, to show him that Krunk is a good guy. "Krunk not demon. Krunk friend." As Krunk bounds across the city (I really don't know how he's supposed to notice any crime while he's "patrolling", as all he does is jump around and he completely lacks any enhanced senses to actually see what is going on below him), I suspect the preacher would at least learn to temper his statements, lest Krunk take him for another "ride".

But okay. Let's advance this situation now. Those who did their reasearch have now found out the following:

This so-called holyman is one of three (two brothers and a sister) doing the same thing. The other two are in different cities. This is part of a plan called "Revelations," with many references to the Bible.

The preacher has a number of cybernetic implants according to his medical record. Including a chip in his brain that gives him psionic powers. (This includes mind control.) It can only be assumed that the other two have the same hidden inplants. One record indicates his entire arm being replaced aster it was blown off by an energy killing-attack during a super slugfest (he was a bystander apparently).

Any plans to reveal his powers reveals only the following:

His right arm is a peice of metal with a synthetic flesh overlay.

Attempts to outdo his oratory or to campaign agasinst his word have shown little success. Somehow, mind control is suspect. Those supers confronted and yet survived have notices glowing eyes on the normals. The glow goes away when the attacker is unconscious. Possibly mind control was used.

So now what?

At this point, he's just another Supervillain. He'd be much more dangerous as a normal.

Style detects the cybernetics, shorts them out if it's at all possible to do so, and turns the preacher over to the authorities along with proof of the preachers links to hate crimes and illegal use of mind control technology. He also makes sure the story gets out, doccumenting as much as he needs to. If the scenario has been designed with thwarting a mage in mind, same approach but it takes longer.

Yes, the GM could nix that, but a GM can nix anything.

Flesh Gordon is caught with the Preacher's daughter, and wife, in a compromising situation. Fleeing from the enraged cyborg, Flesh blunders into the TV studio in mid broadcast. The preacher attempts to control Flesh's mind, but stumbles into Flesh's "Not Much Going On In Here" mental defense. Flesh's Luck activates, further enranging the preacher and causing him to use his powers in an obvious, criminal and undeniable fashion on national television. Flesh trips and falls out a window, plunging through the roof of a bus filled with Miss Hawain Tropic contestants, and briefly joins the tour. The preacher's outraged wife (with the help of his daughter) subdues her spoilsport husband, turns him over to the authorities, and joins the cast of a reality TV show. Flesh never realizes that the preacher was a criminal.

Flesh Gordon is caught with the Preacher's daughter, and wife, in a compromising situation. Fleeing from the enraged cyborg, Flesh blunders into the TV studio in mid broadcast. The preacher attempts to control Flesh's mind, but stumbles into Flesh's "Not Much Going On In Here" mental defense. Flesh's Luck activates, further enranging the preacher and causing him to use his powers in an obvious, criminal and undeniable fashion on national television. Flesh trips and falls out a window, plunging through the roof of a bus filled with Miss Hawain Tropic contestants, and briefly joins the tour. The preacher's outraged wife (with the help of his daughter) subdues her spoilsport husband, turns him over to the authorities, and joins the cast of a reality TV show. Flesh never realizes that the preacher was a criminal.

*ROFLMAO*