What I Learned from "What I Learned" threads

Lucius

I learned that if I post a thoughtful message with helpful advice about how to construct or play a given kind of character, I will get rep.

I learned that if I post a totally off the wall message that seems to completely miss the point of the thread, I will get rep.

I love these threads.

Lucius Alexander

That almost sounds like something the palindromedary would say.

Re: What I Learned from "What I Learned" threads

I learned that people differ on what they consider "basic."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that we have not learned exactly what "cyberman" is, but we suspect it should NOT be considered a "basic" category in any way.

I've learned that a good idea spreads fast - they've hit all the main genre forums now. Even Pulp has now finally succumbed.

Looking forward to the next Big Good Idea hitting the forums! :)

btw - These forums are great! :king:

I learned when I hijack a thread I will be Ignored because it pisses people off.

BUT I AM ONLY DOING WHAT IT NATURAL TO ME! I AM A CONQUEROR OF THREADS!

So I learned that people pick on and dispise hunnish conquerors. :cry:

I've learned that if I say I'll rep people who even mention rep, lots of people will suddenly start mentioning rep for no good reason, other than in hopes of getting rep for doing so.

I could say I rep people with good ASCII art and I'd suddenly find myself surrounded by ASCII artists I'm certain.

I've learned that if I say I'll rep people who even mention rep, lots of people will suddenly start mentioning rep for no good reason, other than in hopes of getting rep for doing so.

I could say I rep people with good ASCII art and I'd suddenly find myself surrounded by ASCII artists I'm certain.

Well, yes, of course you would. People like rep. They like to know what works, and they exploit what works (though even that only works to a certain point).

I've noticed that rep bribes seem to get the fastest responses in the threads where I'm asking for help. Now, I still rep people for helping me out and giving me feedback, I just don't explicitly state it anymore. It seemed to cheapen the responses, somehow, to lure them out with rep.

You know what they say, ascii and ye shall receiivii :P

Well, yes, of course you would. People like rep. They like to know what works, and they exploit what works (though even that only works to a certain point).

I've noticed that rep bribes seem to get the fastest responses in the threads where I'm asking for help. Now, I still rep people for helping me out and giving me feedback, I just don't explicitly state it anymore. It seemed to cheapen the responses, somehow, to lure them out with rep.

I never put much stock in rep bribes... then again, that was awhile ago when I only had a 20 or so rep power. Now that I'm over 100, I suppose a rep bribe from me might carry some weight to it. The only problem is what if one of the last 20 people I repped help me out the best, or first, or whatever I'm using as the bribe? I can only rep prestidigitator, ghost-angel, Dr. Anomoly, Hugh Neilson, Lord Liaden, McCoy, Derek Heimforth, Keith "go ahead and rep me" Curtis, Hyper-man, Trebuchet, and yourself before I have to start repping people at random or visit the "rep above" thread. There's a reason these people have all rather large rep power or are getting one.

NOTE: Crap, I named names. To everybody else, you know I rep you too... just... not as often as these guys get repped... :o

I learned that an off-the-cuff wisecrack I expect to be roundly ignored can get repped, and a well-crafted post I composed with much time and effort can get little or no rep.

But I already knew that.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants YOU! To rep Lucius

I learned the rep whores will scurry into any thread.

You get rep for that.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Lucius often reps those who make him laugh out loud.