Greatest Post-Apoc Film of All Time

Susano

Re: Greatest Post-Apoc Film of All Time

V for Vendetta, 28 Days Later (important to include the "Later" or else it's a Sandra Bullock movie), Equilibrium, the Matrix Trilogy... Resident Evil 1 & 2 (though they are a bit too limited in scope when it comes to the apocalyse part)... Aeon Flux (not as bad as I thought it'd be)... Ultraviolet (haven't seen it, but it seems to fit the mark)... Reign of Fire...

There are plenty of movies out there that seem to fit the bill.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads. Makes "the day after" look like garbage.

It covers from before to up to 10 years after a major league nuke war. It findings from the 1980 British gov't exercise "Square Leg" were used.

From my readings on nuclear war [it was a hobby of mine] it was pretty realistic as far as we can speculate, it is also very bleak and grim as it should be. No punches were pulled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads if you don't mind the spoilers.

Blood of Heroes' date=' AKA [i']Wrath of the Jugger[/i]

A late 80's post apoc SPORTS MOVIE, where neither of the two leads speaks english as their native language. Should have been the worst movie ever.

Though, come to think of it, most sports movies could be signifigantly improved by burning half the cast to ash in the crucible of atomic flame, and then having most of the rest devoured by skin-eating mutants.

Anyway, it's actually good. Much less cartoony than most 80's SF. No assless leather pants, Ayatollahs of Rock and Roll-a, or super-mutants. Just subsistance farmers, starving prostitutes, and the occasional subteranian city.

A lot like the first half of the Fallout games, before they got all powered armor and super-mutants.

And, as far as I know, it's the only movie in which Joan Chen bites a guys ear off.

---

"This is stupid. We should be @#$!!ing and drinking by now."

Geek bonus: Rutger Hauer's character in this movie was the basis for the character design of Guts, from Berserk.

Geek bonus 2: It's got an alternate, 'dark' ending! Everyone loves those, right?

Yeah, I've seen this movie and agree. Should have been very stupid -- I mean if you explain it to someone its tricky to do it without sounding like an idiot -- but it was suprisingly good as a gamers movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094764/

Whats truly crazy is that there are people that play the game featured in the movie, jugging, in both Germany and Australia. It's stuff like this that makes me love life so much -- its so much stranger than fiction.

http://www.jugger.org.au/

http://www.jugger.de/

You put Equilibrium into PA? ... I suppose you could. By that argument, AEON FLUX is also a PA film.

And it was pure, unmitigated crap. Yech. I also understand Ultraviolet is what happens when one-trick ponies make second films. Icky.

You put Equilibrium into PA? ... I suppose you could. By that argument, AEON FLUX is also a PA film.

And it was pure, unmitigated crap. Yech. I also understand Ultraviolet is what happens when one-trick ponies make second films. Icky.

Sure -- Equilibrium is a PA film. Society has rebuilt, but it is obvious something bad has happened to make such a wreck of the outside world.

Yeah, I've seen this movie and agree. Should have been very stupid -- I mean if you explain it to someone its tricky to do it without sounding like an idiot -- but it was suprisingly good as a gamers movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094764/

Whats truly crazy is that there are people that play the game featured in the movie, jugging, in both Germany and Australia. It's stuff like this that makes me love life so much -- its so much stranger than fiction.

http://www.jugger.org.au/

http://www.jugger.de/

I third this as one of my favorite Post Apoc movies.

I'm a bit disappointed by the real life Jugging leagues you linked to... My friends and I came very close to starting something of the sort back in the day (we decided it'd be a bit redundant with all the other hyperv-iolent contact sports we played...), and we must have payed more attentiuon to the Game in the movie.

Swords?

Sheilds?

Enforcers?

WTF????

Where's the Slash? or the Backdrive?

Candy a$$e$.

If you can play the Game without armor, it ain't the Game.

I third this as one of my favorite Post Apoc movies.

I'm a bit disappointed by the real life Jugging leagues you linked to... My friends and I came very close to starting something of the sort back in the day (we decided it'd be a bit redundant with all the other hyperv-iolent contact sports we played...), and we must have payed more attentiuon to the Game in the movie.

Swords?

Sheilds?

Enforcers?

WTF????

Where's the Slash? or the Backdrive?

Candy a$$e$.

If you can play the Game without armor, it ain't the Game.

Hey man, don't shoot the messenger. I find the idea that groups of people actually play any sort of sport that originated in a movie (much less an obscure one) to be highly amusing. ;)

Hey man' date=' don't shoot the messenger. I find the idea that groups of people actually play any sort of sport that originated in a movie (much less an obscure one) to be highly amusing. ;)[/quote']

No worries, just my general tendency to rant.

At the time we were working on it, my whole gang played what might be called "ancient rules" shinty, a full contact feild hockey-ish game. and we held a yearly fundraiser Post Apoc party...so trying to pull off the Jugger thing was a logical next step.

I'm just enough of a genre feind to get annoyed to see someone masacre an excellent source material into a mediocre game ;)

Has anyone said anything about H*ll goes to Ducktown?' date='I've always had an irrational liking for Rowdy Roddy Pipper...;)[/quote'] I thought that it was "Frogtown" ? However a fully animated version featuring Scrooge McDuck, Donald and the nephews might be fun !:)

I thought that it was "Frogtown" ? However a fully animated version featuring Scrooge McDuck' date=' Donald and the nephews might be fun !:)[/quote']

Actually, it's H3ll Comes to Frogtown

Radioactive Dreams

Oh my god yes. That movie gets my vote for worst PA movie of all time. Michael Dudikoff (of American Ninja fame) prancing about in Film Noir-style clothing in a Post-Apocalyptic musical. I don't think anyone could think of a better (or worse) concept for a movie.

And Road Warrior gets my vote for best.

Oh my god yes. That movie gets my vote for worst PA movie of all time. Michael Dudikoff (of American Ninja fame) prancing about in Film Noir-style clothing in a Post-Apocalyptic musical. I don't think anyone could think of a better (or worse) concept for a movie.

And Road Warrior gets my vote for best.

LOL, I'm surprised someone else saw it. I think its so bad its funny!

Yep, Road Warrior is the best.

Road Warrior

Planet of the Apes

Mad Max

these are the best 3 (that I have seen) of the genre.

Course the 3rd Mad Max and pretty much the rest of the POTA series sucked. The least 3 Apes movies would probably rate in a Top 10 worst of all time for the sci-fi genre (and that is saying something)