Greatest Post-Apoc Film of All Time

Susano

Six-String Samurai

Words cannot describe this film, it can only be seen -- then you will understand.

I mean, how do you top Buddy Holly getting into a swordfight with Slash over who will be King of Rock & Roll and Lost Vegas?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Greatest Post-Apoc Film of All Time

OK, it is in my queue.

Heretofore my favorite post apoc movie (non anime) was Logan's run.

Good choice; and I'm not only saying that because Jenny Agutter gets her top off (as if I would be so shallow...) :angel:

I heard a rumour that a remake is on the cards. Seems unnecessary to me. Mind you, I wouldn't mind watching the series again, which I've not seen since it was first aired.

As for Six-String Samurai, it's been on my "To See" list since I read Jared Sorensen's OctaNe game. Really must track down a copy.

I was really lucky' date=' the used CD & DVD place in College Park, MD had a copy. I snagged it pretty danged fast.[/quote']

It might take a little more effort for me: As yet I've found no copies in UK (PAL) format, so I'm not even certain that it was released over here. Still, after your glowing recommendation I'll keep hunting!

EDIT: However, I did find this review with a few pics and videos from the film: http://www.badmovies.org/movies/sixstringsam/index.html

To me, the high number of views and the low number of posts mean only one thing - they are generally SOOOO bad that nobody can think of more than one.

My pick - The Planet of the Apes (the original). But in general, they all stink (A Boy and His Dog) or are very shallow (like Escape from New York - I know, that is technically not a PA movie) .

To me, the high number of views and the low number of posts mean only one thing - they are generally SOOOO bad that nobody can think of more than one.

My pick - The Planet of the Apes (the original). But in general, they all stink (A Boy and His Dog) or are very shallow (like Escape from New York - I know, that is technically not a PA movie) .

I wasn't serious with my original post. However, my vote for best Post-Apoc film for real, is The Road Warrior.

Six-String Samurai

Words cannot describe this film, it can only be seen -- then you will understand.

I mean, how do you top Buddy Holly getting into a swordfight with Slash over who will be King of Rock & Roll and Lost Vegas?

I'm sure this will surprise nobody, but I'll cast the minority vote and say that that sounds profoundly stupid.

I'm sure this will surprise nobody' date=' but I'll cast the minority vote and say that that sounds [i']profoundly stupid.[/i]

As I said, you have to see it to understand it. However, if you didn't like Repo Man or Buckaroo Banzai, then this film probably won't appeal to you.

Blood of Heroes, AKA Wrath of the Jugger

A late 80's post apoc SPORTS MOVIE, where neither of the two leads speaks english as their native language. Should have been the worst movie ever.

Though, come to think of it, most sports movies could be signifigantly improved by burning half the cast to ash in the crucible of atomic flame, and then having most of the rest devoured by skin-eating mutants.

Anyway, it's actually good. Much less cartoony than most 80's SF. No assless leather pants, Ayatollahs of Rock and Roll-a, or super-mutants. Just subsistance farmers, starving prostitutes, and the occasional subteranian city.

A lot like the first half of the Fallout games, before they got all powered armor and super-mutants.

And, as far as I know, it's the only movie in which Joan Chen bites a guys ear off.

---

"This is stupid. We should be @#$!!ing and drinking by now."

Geek bonus: Rutger Hauer's character in this movie was the basis for the character design of Guts, from Berserk.

Geek bonus 2: It's got an alternate, 'dark' ending! Everyone loves those, right?

I'd probably agree that the road warrior is the best of the bunch with Mad Max and Thunderdome trailing 2nd and 3rd.

Just for the heck of it though some of the competition (and worth looking for if you like the genre)

The actually decent movies (besides the Madmax trio)

Omegaman

Blade Runner (borderline but I consider it on the verge of PA)

28 Days (zombie flick, but PA aspects)

The Stand (supernatural but still PA)

The Postman (I know it has issues but I liked it)

Waterworld (see above, but a crazed one eyed Dennis Hopper is worth seeing)

By Dawns Early Light (HBO movie).

The not so good but still fun

Hell comes to Frogtown, it has a great spoof / tribute to the planet of the apes in the beginning, lots of cheese but fun.

They Live, another goofy Roddy Piper movie with an alien invasion twist.

Escape from New York / LA, goofy but alot better than most of the PA movies out there.

I never could get into the Ape movies, DEFCON 4 was pretty bad as was Night of the Comet, and those are just the bad ones my mind will let me remember. :ugly:

I'll have to see this sometime.

Speaking of post-apoc, Encore On Demand seems to have a post-apoc theme going on now. Damnation Alley, and some other, more Road Warrior-ish thing called Steel Frontier. Heaps of cheese, but some of it in a good way.

Damnation Alley wasn't bad, if you never read the book. As usual, the movie didn't come close.

Six String Samuari wasn't bad either, if you like that sort of camp; it didn't take itself seriously.

To "Ara-Maru". Yeah I enjoyed "Wrath Of The Jugger" (it was called "Salute Of the Jugger" here in Australia), but then I also enjoyed the "Mad Max" films. Going back a bit further I also liked "No Blade Of Grass" (taken from the John Christopher novel) and the old 50's flick "Panic In The Year Zero". "Cherry 2000" is another one that I found to be more fun than I expected it to be.

I'm going to buck the trend of action movies and suggest "The Quiet Earth". Not an action movie, but a "last man on earth" variation that makes you go hhmmm. Plus it came out on DVD last June. I remember seeing it in the theaters when it came out in the late eighties and and thought it was very cool sci-fi story. It still holds up pretty good given it's around 20 years old.

I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

For people who don't like happy endings:

The Day After

On The Beach

Deep Impact (quasi-happy ending but millions still die)

Mad Max (the original cult classic)

...just in case you're feeling just a little too optimistic about the end of the world.

Matt "There-had-better-be-at-least-ten-national-monuments-destroyed-in-this-flick-or-I'm-walking-out-of-the-theatre" Frisbee

For people who don't like happy endings:

The Day After

On The Beach

Deep Impact (quasi-happy ending but millions still die)

Mad Max (the original cult classic)

...just in case you're feeling just a little too optimistic about the end of the world.

Matt "There-had-better-be-at-least-ten-national-monuments-destroyed-in-this-flick-or-I'm-walking-out-of-the-theatre" Frisbee

C'mon, man, it's the end of the world as we know it, and we want to feel fine.