Fun Character concepts

thelm

I had 2 heros in a campain I ran many years ago that were a lot of fun.

First there was Random Man. He was a collage prof. who descoverded Randidomim. which he put in his gun. The idea was that whenever he fired his gun a random effect would shoot out. He made a chart with 100 effects on it and would roll on the chart to see what happened. He had everything he could think of on it from Armor to Ultra vision (UV, IR, longe range, microscoip...). Whaterever was hit by the "ray" would be effected by it. It did have several EB's of different types but you never need if it was going to help or hurt.

The second one was Var-A-Tec. A 60 ft. aname type robot that had been hit by a shrinking ray (pilot and all) and is not seven feet tall. the pilot was in its head.

Anyway just hoping others migh share fun Character concepts you have seen

Lightmaster

the L.M.:D

Re: Fun Character concepts

Sidekick!!

Sidekick has a mimic pool that copies the powers of whoever he is "kicking" for... of course, being a sidekick, his powers must be weaker than the original.

A player came up with this idea a few years back. Worked out pretty good.

"Say, can I kick for you?"

A human-scale veritech would be a blast to play, I'd think--especially if you ran it as though it were being piloted by Max "Death Blossom" Sterling.

In Var-A-Tec's case, you could have the pilot constantly going on about being stuck in a world full of Zentraedi. (sp?)

Here's an NPC Villain I particularly liked from an old campaign.

Shadowplay

Characteristics

VAL STAT PTS

18 STR 8

20 DEX 30

15 CON 10

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

5 PD 1

5 ED 2

4 SPD 10

7 REC 0

30 END 0

30 STUN 1

----------------

Points 90

Powers

Cost Item

35 Elemental Control: Illusionary Powers (35-pt. Reserve)

43-a Invisibility to Sight & Mental Groups with No Fringe; 0 END,

Persistent (+1); Always On (-1/2) [0] (The Shadowplayer is never

seen.)

43-b Images to Sight, Hearing & Smell/Taste Groups with -4 to PER;

1" Radius; 0 END (+1/2) [0] (The puppet is always the center of

attention.)

39-c Telekinesis (STR 18) with Fine Manipulation; AE 1 hex (+1/2);

0 END (+1/2) [0] (The Shadow Magic that brings the puppet to life.)

40-d Clairsentience with Sight, Hearing & Smell/Taste Groups;

0 END (+1/2) [0] (The true mastery allows the Shadowplayer to

become the puppet.)

3 +1 PER with all senses

--------------------

203 Points for Powers

No Talents or Perks

Skills

Points Item

9 Acting 14-

5 Concealment 14-

5 Contortionist 14-

9 Disguise 14-

9 Oratory 14-

9 Shadowing 14-

5 Stealth 14-

9 Ventriloquism 14-

17 Comic Book Martial Arts

(4) Punch (+0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6 1/2 d6)

(5) Kick (-2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8 1/2 d6)

(3) Throw (+0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4 1/2 d6 + v/5)

(1) Martial Arts Usable with Telekinesis & Unarmed

(4) +1 DC for Martial Attacks (figured in)

----------

77 Points for skills

370 Total Points for Characteristics, Powers & Skills

Disadvantages = 200 + Points

Points Item

10 Destitute

10 Enraged if someone discovers the "person behind the puppet."

(Unc, Go 14-, Rec. 11-, Enraged only)

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

10 PHY: He's always invisible (kinda like being blind, but while you can

see where you're going, you can't see your hands or feet)

(Frequently, Slightly)

15 PSY: Code vs. Killing (Common, Strong)

15 PSY: Occasionally forgets what's real and what isn't (Uncommon,

Total)

10 PSY: Prankster (Common, Moderate)

10 PSY: Treats his "Puppets" as if they were real people (Common,

Moderate)

15 Secret Identity (Charlie Waters, transient)

15 Susceptable to having his true nature discovered (it shatters the

illusion he lives in) (Uncommon, 3d6 Stun, Instant)

30 Villain Bonus

10 Vulnerability to illusions other than his own (Uncommon, x2 Effect)

-----------

370 Total Points

Background (brief)

Charlie Waters was an only child whose favorite game was "let's pretend." But, since he lived alone and mom and dad were never home, he started making imaginary friends for himself. Little did his very busy parents realize that Charlie's imaginary friends were actually visible to others besides Charlie. As Charlie got older, the imaginary friends became more real to him than his own self image. As he faded away, his images began being mistaken for real people. Now Charlie lives as a shadow, pretending to be other people to complicate their lives while he hides in the most inaccessible places watching his very own shadowplay, a spectator to other lives. Recently, Charlie has started masquerading as a supervillain, so he can embarass superheroes and other supervillains, too. The fun has really only just begun!

Hope you like it!

Matt "The-evil-GM" Frisbee

A human-scale veritech would be a blast to play, I'd think--especially if you ran it as though it were being piloted by Max "Death Blossom" Sterling.

In Var-A-Tec's case, you could have the pilot constantly going on about being stuck in a world full of Zentraedi. (sp?)

In the game I was running the pilot spent as much time out of the robot as in. Having a 3 in man run laps around the table top during a breafing was intresting. Also trying to replace rockets that are no more than an inch long when no one on the team has the proper skills to make them lead to a full gaming section or two. For sume reason he refused to use Random Mans "bullets":D

The idea was that whenever he fired his gun a random effect would shoot out. He made a chart with 100 effects on it and would roll on the chart to see what happened. He had everything he could think of on it from Armor to Ultra vision (UV' date=' IR, longe range, microscoip...). Whaterever was hit by the "ray" would be effected by it. It did have several EB's of different types but you never need if it was going to help or hurt.[/quote']

I believe that was called a wand of wonder. :help:

As seen here' date=' I'm rather fond of Field Test. A bit like Random Man, but more hapless, and less random. ^^[/quote']

Right before reading this I happened to have seen in the FAQ that you don't have to take "no skill roll required" on a VPP when you have no control over how and when it changes - thought you'd like to know.

There have been a couple very entertaining ones... Unfortunately I've only gotten to play them at Cons. I think I hurt several people's brains with Bingo though...

Senor Mysterio, the Luchador, and Master of the Ancient Mystic Arts of Mexico. He had spells based on famous Luchadores, like the 'Scintilating Spheres of El Santo', or 'El Dandy's Defensive Disks'.

Bingo the Clowno, Master of Clown-Fu and Circus Detective. He inherited the mystic Clown's Collar, a ruffled clown collar that bestows upon its wearer the powers of Bingo! Amongst his tricks was an inflatable head for flight, inflatable clown shoes for some Leaping usable by others, Jumbo-sized growth, Micro-clown shrinking, Accordian arms, a bellybutton rocket, and a Circus in his pants. ( An actual circus, in miniature, would come out of his pants to disrupt everything around. A Circus in my Pants: Change Environment 4" radius, -2 OCV, -3 Int Roll and all Skill Rolls based on Int, -3" Running, Multiple Combat Effects, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (60 Active Points) )

MoRe: Fun Character concepts

Crossposted

http://www.herogames.com/forums/show...#post10055 36

Can Opener.

The Defense Department contract specified the development and delivery of a prototype improved Combat Can Opener. With cost overruns, a billion dollars had been spent before the first prototype was even delivered. That's when the GAO and some members of Congress got wind of the project and cancelled it before it could waste any more of taxpayer's money.

Professor Wreckloose was furious. Not just because his funds were cut off just as he was, in fact, ready to unveil his prototype, but at the implication that it wasn't worth every penny that had been spent creating it.

For what Wreckloose had invented was a nigh- indesctructible, independently mobile, and artificially intelligent device that could open cans - or anything else, up to tanks and bank vaults. And without damaging the contents. And also:

Contained storage space that could be utilized as a refrigerator and/or freezer, OR as a conventional or microwave oven

Had built in sensors that would determine how wholesome food was, or if it had been contaminated by any variety of toxin, radioactivity, or pathogen

Had the sensors and programming to forage for food anywhere on Earth

Was programmed to be both nutritionist and cook, and could concoct a nutritious and appealing meal from whatever ingredients were to hand - even MREs!

With the contract cancelled, the mad (but honest) scientist was left in possession of the prototype. After some final programming, he loosed it on the world.

Can Opener came into the world with, among other things, a compulsion to prove to everyone (especially the American taxpayer) that it really is worth a billion dollars. Its logic circuits considered the question of how best to generate positive publicity, and observed: These people in colorful costumes who run around fighting crime get a LOT of media attention. I'll hang around with them and prove how useful I can be!

Identifying quote (after peeling the armor off a villain in powered armor)

"Container OP-en! Contents SPOILED!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary and I are trying to remember other funny heroes....

Copperhead had 75% Resistant Invulnerability and very high defense, plus an insane level of (supersonic) Flight speed. He was designed by a playe specifically to be able to take out the bad guy as he was escaping in a helicopter (something one GM in our party had a tendency to resort to for his favorite recurring villains).

GM: You see the bad guy escaping in a helicopter.

Copperhead: I do a Move Thru attack on the helicopter at [insane speed].

GM: ?????? [Expletive deleted]

I played in a Hero game once where another player had created a character called Handsome Stranger. He was a flying brick who had absorption that went to his Comeliness the more he got hit the prettier he got. For some reason this really made the GM mad after a few games and he the GM approved the power before play. Handsome Stranger also had a PRE attack that worked against anyone attracted to males. He would strike a pose and smile. The player loved that power he would do that every time he would knock out a bad guy.

Nemesis later Avatar, the C was a shape shifter, it could be both male and female. Now the fun bit was that the game was suppost to be a dark America, controled behind the scenes. The game was a very grim and dark one.

The first time the C was introduced, the GM, incrdbil on the boards, ran the C.

It was suppost to meet the rest of the team in a small out of the way diner just outside DC. One of the C's was a 'real man's man'. The GM had the C meet them as a female. The C then made a pass at the 'man's man' C. Needless to say the Shapeshifter got that other C all hot and bothered.

Well I took over the C when 'she' got up to leave, leaned over and whispered, "Too bad your not my type." The other C looked at 'her' as 'she' altered the face into a 'male' one.

The look's I got from the group was priceless, the uck factor kicked in. The thing is that the C was suppost to be the emotionaless spy, it didn't end up that way. I had so much fun. The other C's never knew if my C wasn't around if the NPC they were talking to was that C or an actual NPC.

Nemesis later Avatar, the C was a shape shifter, it could be both male and female. Now the fun bit was that the game was suppost to be a dark America, controled behind the scenes. The game was a very grim and dark one.

The first time the C was introduced, the GM, incrdbil on the boards, ran the C.

It was suppost to meet the rest of the team in a small out of the way diner just outside DC. One of the C's was a 'real man's man'. The GM had the C meet them as a female. The C then made a pass at the 'man's man' C. Needless to say the Shapeshifter got that other C all hot and bothered.

Well I took over the C when 'she' got up to leave, leaned over and whispered, "Too bad your not my type." The other C looked at 'her' as 'she' altered the face into a 'male' one.

The look's I got from the group was priceless, the uck factor kicked in. The thing is that the C was suppost to be the emotionaless spy, it didn't end up that way. I had so much fun. The other C's never knew if my C wasn't around if the NPC they were talking to was that C or an actual NPC.

I like it mind if I use it?

:)

Godiva the Go Go diva another character from my 50s-60s team

Before the fateful night of her transformation she worked as a go go dancer in a club and her big act was to perform as the legendary lady Godiva dragged through the crowd seemingly starkers on a wooden horse.

Before she took to the stage to dance one night her boss an ex-spiv got his hands on some stolen experimental luminous white paint.

He decided to use this to enhance the Godiva bit, the effect was great the ethereal glow of the paint worked perfectly as the horse was dragger through the pitch-black club.

Unfortunately the moment Godiva stepped onto the stage and the spotlights hit her she writhed in agony convulsing and with incredible strength she started smash the stage to pieces some of the staff ran over to help and where thrown across the room with great force

Some one switched off the spot lights and she relaxed she was no longer superhumanly strong they took her to the hospital but the moment she was put back under strong lights the incredible strength returned.

She soon discovered that the strange paint had some how bonded with her skin enthusing her with incredible strength and durability but it soon wore off if she was not exposed to light her powers drain quickly in the darkness of if wrapped up so she tends to fight in only a bikini and specially made reinforced go go boots.

Following her transformation got involved in a number of events before being recruited by the new shining aegis team and serving with distinction much to delight of the tabloid press.

A couple of weird ones have come up in our games.

Disco Angel: One of my personal favorites. I based her vaguely off the Olivia Newton John character in the terrible, terrible movie "Xanadu" (which I have seen hundreds of times). She skates around on roller skates, has an AE Flash that resembles a disco ball effect, constantly produces disco music in her area, and has a BOECV Entangle that forces her enemies to do the Hustle with her.

(can't remember the character's name): A friend of mine once played a Dark Champions character (non powered campaign) that was sort of the reverse of the old Superman/Clark Kent thing. The guy's secret identity was a smart, competent philanthropist who was heavily involved in campaigns to make the city better and so on. His costumed id he played as a loon, a maniacal nutjob with no connection to reality. Everyone assumed that this costumed whacko had to be a superhero because he was severely disturbed in some way, and no one ever came CLOSE to guessing his real identity.

Sen Baraka: I'm probably mispelling this one. A good friend of mine hit on the idea of a mentalist professor of linguistics whose powers had been triggered in a traumatic incident where he lost his left arm. Now, he only took the "one arm" thing because he was stuck for another drawback to pay for his powers. And then he couldn't think of a name for his character, either. Suddenly, two plus two equaled four, and he called the guy "Sen Baraka," which is apparently (news to me) Esperanto for "without arm." After that, the whole character fell into place. The guy was obsessed with artificial languages (Esperanto, Klingon, etc) and was constantly harping on the other characters to learn Esperanto. It turned into a whole theme for the character. It got even funnier when the group's biogadgeteer replaced his arm with a vat grown clone (he bought off the disad), but he still insisted on using the same name. The character would have been annoying if anyone else had played him, but his player made the guy kind of charming and interesting.

My most fun character ever was The Invisible Swordsman. His background is that he was a golden age character called The Swordsman who got cursed by a wizard to 'never be seen again' and so became invisible and immortal. And his name changed from that point on.

I played him in what became a 'kooky' modern era game. Other player characters included the Ghost of Laura Palmer, Jester - a young gypsy girl with uncontrollable illusions, and another child character (can't remember the name) who could animate objects, including her follower Teddy Bear.

Anyway, the group also included an unintentional straight man in the form of teen brick Broadside. My character saw himself as a mentor figure and would constantly be telling him how heroes should act etc. It drove Broadside crazy. The best bit was when he went to his room to be alone (or more, where I wasn't), only to find that I had gone there ahead of him as my voice drifted from somewhere next to the bed "You seem to be getting angry - heroes don't get angry son." Priceless.

Same game had one of the funnest and most annoying NPC characters/villains I've ever known - The Spotted Hyena. He wore a white ninja night suit with multi-colored polka dots, had a 50 DEX, 12 SPD, and a 1D6 x4 Penetrating, Autox20 No Range EB with enough levels to cover the negative OCV for multiple autofire hits. He also had clairaudeince to the real world, and so could 'hear' the players talking too. Although he sounds mega powerful the main thing he did was jump out of nowhere (did I mention crazy amounts of superleap?) and balance on a bottle just because he could. He would generally spout stuff about how good he was whilst doing this, and occassionally hit a character for 1D6 when they tried to recover or if that character's player bad-mouthed him. He was annoying (and the character knew we the players thought that because he could hear us), but he was fun to have around :)

He also had clairaudeince to the real world, and so could 'hear' the players talking too.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who ever thought of this

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks, so okay, did the players ever try having a conversation with him?

You may want to watch The TICK cartoon for some more ideas. They had Plunger Man, Captain Mucilage, The Decency Squad, etc... on the heroes side and The Deadly Bulb, Proto Clown, Chairface Chippendale, etc... on the villians side. If you've never seen it, the cartoon is still playing on a channel called JETIX which is part of the Disney Channel. You may want to buy the DVD of the cartoon which will be out the 29th of next month :)

Enjoy!

• 2 years later...

I had an idea for a crime fighting family.

First, we have the oldest brother, The Scrappler, a demi-brick fighter who also has an Entangle and EB, OIF: Cans of Scrapple.

Second, the middle brother, a gadgeteer and minor mentalist by the name of The Scrabbler. Has EB and RKA based on shooting Scrabble tiles from his gadgets.

Finally, we have the little sister, who stays in the back and provides Aids to her brothers via containers of bracing beverages, codenamed The Snappler.

I had 2 heros in a campain I ran many years ago that were a lot of fun.

First there was Random Man. He was a collage prof. who descoverded Randidomim. which he put in his gun. The idea was that whenever he fired his gun a random effect would shoot out. He made a chart with 100 effects on it and would roll on the chart to see what happened. He had everything he could think of on it from Armor to Ultra vision (UV, IR, longe range, microscoip...). Whaterever was hit by the "ray" would be effected by it. It did have several EB's of different types but you never need if it was going to help or hurt.

/quote]reminds me of the hanna barberra character RICOCHET RABBIT

Girlfriend trouble

just hoping others migh share fun Character concepts you have seen

White Knight is a brick with high PRE and COM (and several PRE skills)

He has several amusing Disadvantages:

DNPC, current or ex-girlfriend, as powerful, 11-, group of 8

Hunted, ex-girlfriend or stalker, as powerful, 11-, group of 8

PsychLim: weakness for beautiful women, common, strong

In his secret ID he works undercover as a minion/thug for hire, which is how he finds out what villains are up to.

So White Knight has a group of beautiful superheroes and supervillains that he dates, some of them in Hero ID, some in Secret ID, some of them show up as DNPCs and some show up as Hunteds.

So it is possible to have two DNPCs show up in the same adventure (both current girlfriends, one a hero, one a villain) and have both of them trying to kill each other; and have an ex-girlfriend show up trying to kill White Knight.

He brings new meaning to the term "girlfriend trouble".