Wierdest powers...

AdamLeisemann

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Wierdest powers...

The Defenestrator. He was seen in Hitman and carried around a window he threw people through.

Wait... basically all of Section 8: Sixpack, The Defenestrator, Dog Welder, Jean de Baton-Baton, Phlegm-Gem, Friendly Fire, Shakes, and Bueno Excelente.

Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_%28comics%29

Not counting anyone from The Tick, I'd say the weirdest that I actually think is cool was Devilman's prehensile eyebrows. Then again, there are a LOT of weird powers in anime.

Other one's I liked would include just about anything from My Favorite Martian (the original B&W show, not the movie).

Mystery Men has the Invisible Boy, who could turn invisible, but only at times when no living being could see him otherwise. If he was in the field of vision of any person, or even a dog, the power wouldn't work. Because of this, he was not entirely sure he actually had the power and wasn't simply delusional.

As it turns out, it did actually turn out to have some limited utility, enabling him to safely pass and disarm a security system that would disintegrate ay visible person that passed through its field of fire.

Not counting anyone from The Tick' date=' I'd say the weirdest that I actually think is cool was Devilman's prehensile eyebrows. Then again, there are a LOT of weird powers in anime.[/quote']

I seem to remember that the old butler from Van Helsing was decapitating vampires.

With his floss.

some of the entities in Xombi, of Milestone fame, had some interesting occult/supernatural powers. The one that immediately leaps to mind were Urban Parhanas, who swam through streets and ate bycicles. (they were given as a quick example of things that only people attuned to the supernatural could see - everyone else just assumed that the bike was stolen.)

Well, I mentioned in another thread about a book called "Freshmen" where a bunch of new arrivals at a college obtain superpowers due to a contrived circumstance. The gimmick is that the powers were based on the person's mood or thoughts at the point of activation.

One of the kids was bemoaning the size of his... member, so his power was that it ended up almost two feet in length. And indestructible. :nonp:

Another got the power to start earthquakes by shaking his belly.

My favorite is still the school mascot (a live beaver) who was "blessed" with super-intelligence and an obsession with building dams. Big dams. :D

Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr) had some weird powers.

He was genetically engineered with insect DNA, which gave him a bunch of powers like being "triple jointed," allowing extreme feats of contortion and the ability to survive what would otherwise be crushing forces. He can also scale up walls like Spider-Man.

But the weirdest stuff he could do is when needed, he can digest any organic substance without adverse effects. As a result, he can eat rotting or poisonous food as well as non-food stuffs (e.g., cardboard, paper, etc.). He uses this ability to recover from wounds or extreme stress.

His body fluids contain nanotechnology that invades the minds of those whose skin it touches. This causes hallucinations' and allows Noh-Varr a degree of mind-control. So if he spits on you, or gets some blood on you, he could take control of you.

His thumb nail can grow into a deadly crystalline spike. He can insert this nail into an opponent and leave it to explode, killing both the target as well as causing extensive damage to the surrounding area.

Crazy powers, but he's a cool character.

I personally found the "yellow" weakness of the post Allan Scott era to be, well, weak. Not to mention a little inconsistent at times, but that was bad writing, not character conceptualization. But, c'mon, Yellow!?! What if Hal Jordan had corn for breakfast? I even remember a "joke-ish" issue where the "villain" was a guy in a yellow raincoat and mask, running around with a portable industrial spraypainter, that was yellow, and loaded with yellow paint. It too an entire issue for Hal to realise that all he had to do was walk up to the shmuck and sock him one in the jaw. Only to find that this was some mentor-figure who never appeared again, who was prattling on about "not relying to much on the power." Nice sentiment, but c'mon. This is a superhero who's taken out of a fight by a can of paint.

Okay. Not so much "wierdest power" as "wierdest weakness."

Any of the Deuces from the Wild Cards books. Like the ability to change your skin into any color, the signature (and only) power of Mr. Rainbow.

...a Queens housewife who levitated while asleep' date=' a longshoreman who could plunge his hand into a bathtub and bring the water to a boil in just under seven minutes... and even a potbellied Italian greengrocer who displayed an astonishing ability to grow hair at will.[/quote']

Any of the Deuces from the Wild Cards books. Like the ability to change your skin into any color' date=' the signature (and only) power of Mr. Rainbow.[/quote']

Or that guy who could set himself on fire.

Note that he wasn't IMMUNE to fire: just that he could light himself up. He did heal from burns faster than normal, though.

Anyway...

probably Letterman. Had the ability to transform things into other things as long as their names differed by one letter.

Sounds similar to the Kaballah-style magic from Unknown Armies; I forget exactally what it was called, but basically you could grant yourself abilities based on rearranging the letters in your name.

Here's another wierd one, straight from Wikipedia:

Captain Marvel was the title character in a short-lived title published by Myron Fass' M.F. Comics in 1966, shortly before the Marvel Comics version debuted. He had no genuine connection to the classic Fawcett character, but invoked his powers by shouting the word "SPLIT!" When he did, his android body dissolved into its component head, torso, and limbs, which then operated coordinately. The title remains one of the most derided of the Silver Age.

Any of the Deuces from the Wild Cards books. Like the ability to change your skin into any color' date=' the signature (and only) power of Mr. Rainbow.[/quote']

This reminds me a bit of the Xanth novels by Pierce Anthony, where everyone had some magic talent. Most people had relatively minor talents. One guy's power was the ability to change the color of his urine to blue, but only while he was urinating. There was also the woman who would transform into a hideous has during "that time of the month"... funny, but for what's supposed to be a series read by a younger audience it seemed to lack some taste. Definately in the category of weirdest powers though.