AdamLeisemann

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Wierdest powers...

Volvo.

Not to be a spoilsport, but wouldn't that be either a "Vulvo" or a "Volva"? :P

And, am I sick because I wondered whether, afterwards, the woman would be like a Barbie doll, or more like, uhm, a building's plumbing in cross section after a super-fight destroys part of an apartment building? And just what sitting on the car's seat would feel like. So much they didn't explain on the Electric Company (or was it Sesame Street?)...

At the risk of inappropriate thread derailment... isn't that two letters?

It was not uncommon for Letterman to pull two letters off his Varsity Sweater, or for the Spellbinder to remove or alter two or even three letters in a word to cause trouble.

Once could make an interesting series about dueling linguamncers, especially with a villain who is clear enough to use the power in seemingly subtle ways tat cause massive chaos.

Once could make an interesting series about dueling linguamncers' date=' especially with a villain who is clear enough to use the power in seemingly subtle ways tat cause massive chaos.[/quote']

And why stop at just letter exchanges? How about villains whose powers are based on homophones (words that sound alike but are spelled differently, such as wait and weight), homographs (words that are spelled the same but sound differently, such as read and read), homonyms (words that are spelled and sound alike but have different meetings, such as counter and counter), and homarids (low-level, highly confusing lobsterfolk from the Fallen Empires™ set)? :nonp:

:whistle:

Grant Morrison is the source of a lot of good weirdness. I loved The Quiz's power too. Seth, an enemy of The Authority, has some great bizarre powers such as 'rainbow breath' and 'strength squared'.

I really like the Legion of Super-Villains member Nemesis Kid. He had the power to adapt whatever powers he needed to beat any one foe.

Thank you Doug for bringing us back from "lady parts and letters" and on to "more strange powers."

Though I can see the Volvo/Vulva confusion occuring in a really bad Animaniacs cartoon, just like when they get "pianist" or "Penal code" wrong. (And yes, those confusions have occured in those cartoons. Gets wouldn't get the joke, but an adult most certainly will.)

Grant Morrison is the source of a lot of good weirdness. I loved The Quiz's power too. Seth, an enemy of The Authority, has some great bizarre powers such as 'rainbow breath' and 'strength squared'.

I really like the Legion of Super-Villains member Nemesis Kid. He had the power to adapt whatever powers he needed to beat any one foe.

He lived in constant fear of Duo Damsel, who alone in the entire LSH could hand him his head on a reliable basis. He could adapt to defeat any one opponent, or to flee from multiple opponents, but once she split she was neither.

The Defenestrator. He was seen in Hitman and carried around a window he threw people through.

Wait... basically all of Section 8: Sixpack, The Defenestrator, Dog Welder, Jean de Baton-Baton, Phlegm-Gem, Friendly Fire, Shakes, and Bueno Excelente.

Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_%28comics%29

Ah yes, Dogwelder. A horribly wrong idea that should never have made print. Even Marvel's old Asst. Editor's day wasn't that corny.

Just out of curiosity:

What is the wierdest superpower you have ever seen on a superhero/supervillain? And who is that superhero.supervillain? Please restrict yourself to characters from outside the Champions game. (ie. no RPGs).

Eat Man (IIRC) could eat any object and later extrude it (from his hand) assembled and fully functional.

Hubcap riding: another great power from Marvel’s New Universe.

Powers/Abilities : Metallurge possesses the ability to levitate metal, though he primarily uses only a hubcap form a 1949 Chevrolet. He rides on top of the hubcap to fly through the air, can use it to allow others to do the same (though his control weakens with distance), and can use it as a shield or blunt weapon.

In spite of his ability to "fly" atop his hubcap, Chris is afraid to fly in airplanes, which make him nauseous.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/metallur.htm

Some of the powers attributed to Superman down through the years have been really wacked out.

Here, take a look at this:

superman125.jpg

Yes, Superman is shooting rainbows out of his finger tips. Now, as ammusing as that picture may be, the real weird part is explained below by Grant Morrison:

My first issue, for instance, has a new power for Superman and I thought I'd come up with something, well...not bad...then I just read - yesterday in fact - the story 'Superman's New Power' which appeared in Superman #125 from November 1958. And guess what Superman's new power was in the 'conservative' ‘50s. That's right - it's a teeny-tiny little Superman who shoots out from the palm of the big Superman's hand and does everything better than Superman himself, leaving the full-size Superman feeling redundant and worthless. Holy analysis, Batman! It's mindbending, brilliant and eerie work. This is what it would be like if Charlie Kaufmann wrote and directed the Superman movie and it's far from goofy or childish, it's genuinely affecting and slightly disturbing to read Superman saying stuff like 'Everyone's impressed except ME! Don't they understand how I feel -- playing second fiddle to a miniature duplicate of myself...a sort of SUPER-IMP?'

And people think I'M weird ? I %$%$^ wish I was weird like this! I wish pop comics today had the balls to be as poetic and poignant and truly 'all-ages' again, and a little less self-conscious. I feel a little ashamed for not even daring to think of a magnificent tiny Superman who makes the real Superman feel inadequate every time he springs from his hand. Those kinds of stories were like weird fever dreams and they sold millions and millions of copies every month.

If we are talking prehensile Anime hair' date=' you mustn't forget Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo's prehensile nose hair.[/quote']

Jhamin must DIE!!!

I cannot describe how much I hate that show. I watched one half an episode and actually felt my brain cells commiting suicide to escape the torture. Afterward I was able to understand the humor in South Park though.

In any case, no, we must absolutely forget... that show... at all costs.

Many of the "Aces" or Supers from Wild Cards had unusual powers.

There was Croyd, who fell asleep only every few months or so and changed physical appearance and power each time he slept. (Most of the time he turned into another Super)

There was also Cap'n Trips, the Hippie, who when he took his special drugs, would disappear and one of five Supers would take his place. This made for some awkward situations.

I also though Lazy Dragon was unusual. He could carve an animal out of soap or whatever and become that animal. After the animal finished its attack you would only find the little soap statue. He also tuned, involutarily, into his "Sister" a woman who was a separate personality.

I recommend this series, at least the first 4 books, to you all. Don't bother after 7 though.

There was Croyd, who fell asleep only every few months or so and changed physical appearance and power each time he slept. (Most of the time he turned into another Super)

There was also Cap'n Trips, the Hippie, who when he took his special drugs, would disappear and one of five Supers would take his place. This made for some awkward situations.

I also though Lazy Dragon was unusual. He could carve an animal out of soap or whatever and become that animal. After the animal finished its attack you would only find the little soap statue. He also tuned, involutarily, into his "Sister" a woman who was a separate personality.

I recommend this series, at least the first 4 books, to you all. Don't bother after 7 though.

Wild Cards for Hero:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/wildcards/wildcards.html

And I second Satinkitty's comments in which books to get.

Better yet' date=' he could be a spider bitten by a radioactive human being. All his powers would be bought in an EC: Human Being Powers. Increased DEX (opposable thumbs), Transmit for Hearing Sense Group (vocal cords) and so forth. It's brilliant, I tell you![/quote']

This is essentially Spider-Ham's origin.

Not so much "weird" as unusual (and fun) I have an Australian hero called "Inertia" who can drain kinetic energy from moving objects and transfer it to other objects. Let's see that 1 tonne car is going past at 10 KPH. I'll drain 1% of its energy. :) I wonder how fast I can make this 1kg brick move ?

SNOTMAN!

Uh... Er-hem. That is to say that this series truly does have some really weird characters.

Snotman - oozed mucus from every pore of his body, until the Typhoid-Croyd incident, where he became the powerful Ace, Reflector.

Most Dueces had weird or trivial powers. The power to grow body hair at will, levitate a quarter (no other object) a few inches of their hand, turn into a puddle of water.

Other weirdoes included,

Elephant Girl - with the power to turn into Dumbo, the flying elephant.

The Oddity - Three people trapped in one body, that continually shifts amongst their original forms, but never completely one. Orgin - a menage a trois that never ended.

Patchwork (a.k.a. Modular Girl) - the girl who can detach parts of herself and still have them function (she liked to keep an eye on things).

Chalk-talk - a little joker girl who could draw chalk artworks on the pavement that were so realistic, she could teleport to the place depicted through them, or enter the world that she had created, and even brought someone back one time.

SNOTMAN!

Uh... Er-hem. That is to say that this series truly does have some really weird characters.

Snotman - oozed mucus from every pore of his body, until the Typhoid-Croyd incident, where he became the powerful Ace, Reflector.

Obscenely powerful.

He absorbed all energy -- and tended to reflect it back at his attacker. Punch him, he got stronger. Fire an energy blot at him, you were hit by the bolt. And so on.

Anyone care to calculate how much energy he absorbed when he was hit by a subway train?

Hint -- he couldn't absorb all of it, and bleed off excess in the form of electrical arcs to the third rail....