The Wisdom of Solomon?

Enforcer84

So I am starting to collect ideas for a Captain Marvel (Shazam) write up.

When I think back I've never really seen evidence of the Wisdom of Solomon.

However, right now I am leaning towards:

Int +10

Ego+ 10

Mental Defense

Danger Sense

Perhaps, some of the Hyper-Intellect powers from USPD2?

Re: The Wisdom of Solomon?

One of my Comic Book Geek Friends was telling me about one time when Captain Marvel was attracted to a similar character, a fifteen-year-old girl with high-level superpowers, and I think they dated in their secret IDs. Anyway, people began to talk because it was looking funny (it would be fine for Captain Marvel in his secret identity to date her - he's thirteen or somesuch - but in his adult, superpowered form it's not appropriate for them to flirt and such). And he broke it off. It may not be the Wisdom of Solomon (who dated much younger girls all the time), but it's still pretty wise.

Of course, I can't come up with any powers for it...

He ever use it in a comic?

I recall a team up by Captain Marvel with Superman two or three years ago against some obscure ancient deity - I believe it was an Egyptian frog deity who was angry with modern man for despoiling the ecology, and was engaged in a vengeful rampage. Anyway, Superman wasn't making any headway fighting this god. For some reason that I can't quite recollect (I think the god had something to do with it) Captain Marvel was discorporated in this story, but he was able to join his power and psyche with Superman's body. I do remember that while in control of Superman, Cap explicitly used the Wisdom of Solomon to negotiate with the deity and get it to stop its rampage.

There are so many areas in which Wisdom can manifest - not just those that are based on Intelligence - that I'm leaning toward a VPP, Only For Wisdom Abilities (Very Limited Class). Several Intellect and Interaction Skills could be justified as a manifestation of Wisdom, as well as a few Talents and Powers such as Danger Sense or Limited Clairsentience.

In JSA #43 Captain Marvel reveals that he's studied EVERY SINGLE MAJOR TACTICAL GENIOUS throughout history. I suppose that that is actually a manifestation of the Wisdom of Solomon since Billy hasn't even passed US History yet. :)

Here it is: (Egypt, the 15th dynasty... Vandal Savage's army approaches...)

Prince Khufu: "I fear Vandal's sand-homunculi are nigh invincible!"

Mr. Terrific: "Perhaps. But we've got the benefit of future sight on our side. Alexander the Great, Theodoric, Napoleon -- All of these are warriors yet to be born. But in my time, they're already figures of history."

CAPTAIN MARVEL: "Terrific's right. I've studied every last one of them. And we can apply innovations they'll develop. Take Aeneus Tacticus for instance, He wrote -- or will write -- a treatise called 'How To Survive Under Siege'...

...We've got every battle from the last FIVE THOUSAND years at out fingertips."

In Virtue and Vice Captain Marvel's Wisdom of Solomon was the single element that led to the defeat of Johnny Sorrow and Despero. Without it both the JSA and JLA, complete with their most powerful characters, would have been lost.

When asked how Cap knew what would happen (when Johnny Sorrow's visage was revealed to a possessed President Luthor his reply went something like... "I just knew".

The Wisdom of Solomon

1) Clarity of Thought: When the Wisdom is activated, Billy is able to think calmly and clearly. With the 'mental fog' most people have (various anxieties, prejudices, etc.) gone, Billy is able to come to effective solutions quicker and pick out the 'best' alternative with a clear mind and conscience. This clear thinking makes Billy a good tactician and problem solver, and has the side-effect of making him more in touch with his 'true' personality, as when the Wisdom is activated, he cannot rationalize cheating, since he knows its wrong and was basically fooling himself. When the wisdom is activated, Billy is able to basically take a deep breath and think things through before he does something he'd feel bad for later.

2) Information Bank: The Wisdom also seems to be a repository for various mystical knowledge, knowledge that Billy has perhaps increased on his own thanks to reading in his spare time. Whether it's military tactics, knowledge of demon banishing, knowledge of an ancient, runic language, knowledge of architecture, or what have you, the Wisdom seems to be a nearly limitless database of information.

3) True-Sight: The Wisdom sometimes lets Billy know what's real and what isn't, as well as allowing him to see the true nature of things and see things others cannot. For instance, he was able to see demon that only Dudley (who had accidentally summoned the creature) could see. He was also able to realize that the image of his parents in Hell was an illusion, as well as being able to see through various mystic illusions, such the hiding enchantment Shazam had placed over the subway tunnel that leads to the Rock of Eternity.

4) Quick Learning: Billy seems to pick up things quicker when he's Cap. He was able to flawlessly reproduce combat moves he saw Batman of all people demonstrated after one viewing, has been able to pick up the finer points of ancient tactics, can understand different languages quickly and can seem to understand how to use mystic items institutively.

It's unclear how much 'technical' knowledge the Wisdom grants Billy, and how much of it is knowledge he acquired through research. He has been shown to understand Mother Box technology, has created an outer-space rig using designs he came up with, and has been shown to have a bit of knowledge regarding architecture.

One of my Comic Book Geek Friends was telling me about one time when Captain Marvel was attracted to a similar character, a fifteen-year-old girl with high-level superpowers, and I think they dated in their secret IDs. Anyway, people began to talk because it was looking funny (it would be fine for Captain Marvel in his secret identity to date her - he's thirteen or somesuch - but in his adult, superpowered form it's not appropriate for them to flirt and such). And he broke it off. It may not be the Wisdom of Solomon (who dated much younger girls all the time), but it's still pretty wise.

Of course, I can't come up with any powers for it...

I always thought that was an occasion of a lack of wisdom...

Actual situation was Green Lantern (Alan Scott) and Wildcat started to worry about it, personaly I think it would have been wiser to pull them aside and reveil his ID, or have Superman (who is suppose to know already and is universaly trusted) tell them...

One thing, and it is a slight aside, but I always liked the fact that the power of Shazam is now split when they are activated, so when 2 of the 3 are powered up there power is halved, when all three it is 1/3 max, etc... Thought it was a nice way to distinguish them from the Superman.

Wisdom of Solomon: Detect Stupid Ideas (Large Class of Things), Discriminatory, Analyze, Sense, Increased Arc of Perception (360 degrees), (27 Active Points).

Apply OIHID, for a 22 RP cost, for somebody like Cap Marvel. Alternately, apply Always On, for an 18 RP cost and somebody who always knows *exactly* how bad an idea it is that they're acting on, but probably does it anyways. :P

In a recent Superman-Shazam team up TPB, the Wisdom of Soloman turned out to be, in HERO terms, KS: Supernatural Monsters and KS: Mystic Theory, both at around 20-. Very useful if you spend your time fighting magical enemies.

"I don't study. I just know stuff." - Captain Marvel

You could justify other KS that way as well.

I always thought that was an occasion of a lack of wisdom...

Actual situation was Green Lantern (Alan Scott) and Wildcat started to worry about it, personaly I think it would have been wiser to pull them aside and reveil his ID, or have Superman (who is suppose to know already and is universaly trusted) tell them...

One thing, and it is a slight aside, but I always liked the fact that the power of Shazam is now split when they are activated, so when 2 of the 3 are powered up there power is halved, when all three it is 1/3 max, etc... Thought it was a nice way to distinguish them from the Superman.

But there have been stories in which everyone knew Billy was Shazam and vice versa. I thought it was an interesting story but it didn't make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing' date=' and it is a slight aside, but I always liked the fact that the power of Shazam is now split when they are activated, so when 2 of the 3 are powered up there power is halved, when all three it is 1/3 max, etc... Thought it was a nice way to distinguish them from the Superman.[/quote']

That was a very short lived thing. Unless, of course, they re-introduced it again. I've been out-of-the-loop with comics for several years, now.

The power-sharing set-up was the status quo until the most recent miniseries, Trials of Shazam. That series is rejiggering the power set-up, so we won't know the new framework until the end.

Since it's written by the same person who did "First Thunder", the Wisdom of Solomon is defined largely as KS: Magic and KS: Supernatural Creatures at high levels. However, there are some undercurrents of self-awareness and making the right choices as well.

On the whole JSA thing...

Flash (Jay) pulled Marvel aside to have a little talk with him regarding Star. Flash could sense that Marvel wanted to tell him something, but Billy couldn't because the Wisdom of Solomon wouldn't let him for some reason.

Of course that could just be bad writing:winkgrin: