Traveller Hero Update

Polaris

Hi all,

I just wanted to give a quick update about Traveller Hero (sorry about the delays). We have eight short pdf products in layout right now. When they are complete with layout, they will be sent to Steve for approval, and then put up for sale. Each pdf will include all the Hero Designer files for the material in them, and be sold for just a few bucks. It is our plan to use all of our share of the proceeds from these sales to help promote and market Traveller Hero!

After these initial products, we will be focusing our Traveller Hero line on the 1248 era of Traveller (The "Fourth Imperium"). This is the most advanced era of official Traveller canon designed by Marc Miller and Martin Dougherty.

The two sourcebooks for the world (Out of the Darkness, and Bearers of The Flame) are currently available in both print and pdf. Just a quick plug, they are both on a great sale (the pdf is 40% off, and the print book is 25% off) at our Grand Opening sale at our store, which you can get to by going to our website at http://www.comstar-games.com

The line of Traveller Hero products will consist of both print and pdf (all products will be available in pdf with Hero Designer files as a package, and some of them will also have a print option). We are planning a special edition of Grand Fleet for the Hero System (this will be a manual for space military campaigns using the Hero System, and will include a number of starships and equipment from the 1248 era of Traveller).

Thanks!

William

ComStar

http://www.comstar-games.com

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Traveller Hero Update

Hi there,

Each of the first products will focus on either a particular starship or a particular type of starship and will actually be an 'ode to the golden age of Traveller. We are also looking at doing a Hero version of some of our special supplement products (such as a supplement on robots).

Each of these first eight will be priced around 3 or 4 dollars, and as I mentioned will include the HD files.

William

What about core conversion rules any ideal when we will get to see them. I like the outline in the sample PDF that went around. ships I can and have builted myself from time to time but I am hoping not to have to do the whole character and univirse conversion.:confused:

Thank you for that information and please keep us informed on the progeress. I have play Traveller sence the 70's yes the old little black book lot of character and star ship creating rules and some greate background. lite on play rules. Mega Traveller which I think was the best incaration rule and play wise. and even the tne version which was agreate concept that only had a few rule problem ,in this case the system for creating anything was a bit overwalming and not quite cannon but still good. I think the tne setting married with the Hero system is a greate ideal. one of the common complantes of my old players was that there character did not advance any after character creaction. hero will give them a slow but seeable advancement and give me lots of options. LOML:eg:

we always had house rules about characters dying during creation, most of the time they were discharged for one reason or another, be it wounded, caught in bed with the commanders SO/Daughter etc, caught embezzling unit funds, caught profiteering or selling gear on the black market, selling secrets, it just depended on the campaign and the players imagination.

We had a house rule that you could die for real in the first 3 terms... not a hardship to start over from there.

Thereafter, however, a death resulted in the character receiving a Purple Heart commendation and a single roll on the Barracks Life skill table (or its equivalent, depending on the service). Any other skills received during that term were negated. The Purple Hearts were included in the tally to calculate mustering out benefits, so it wasn't a total loss.

I am not sure but from what i read in the PDF and what I know about the hero system I suppect that the death of a character or even rolling anythng is some what remote. you will probley get choices of what paggages you can buy based on your service branch.:D

what kind of an insight are you looking for?, some things I can talk about, Polaris is in overall charge of the project, so if you want to bring up what you want the insight on, we will see what we can do, there have been a few samples posted already to the boards of draft ideas for ships and vehicles for example

There wont be any drastic changes from the current Star Hero system, beyond traveller specific items, such as Jump Drives only etc. as far as ship construction goes, its going to be at least partially modular, and the design sequence will follow 2nd edition High Guard.

are the construction rule going to be anything like Mega Traveller were the tech of the power plant affect its size and efficacy. are you going to repeat classic designs like the Free Trader and the Gazelle? the pdf does not mentions fusion and plasma turrets and seem confused about PA Barbette's are these things going to be included. also manginess sizes for missile turrets. my players in my last campaign convert a free trader to jump2 by removing the passengers quarters and upgrading the power plant to tech 15 I can not remember if they lost any cargo in the conversion this also give them enough power to power there beam lasers. I can not remember if this type of conversion was passable with 2nd highgaurd or not.

are the construction rule going to be anything like Mega Traveller were the tech of the power plant affect its size and efficacy. are you going to repeat classic designs like the Free Trader and the Gazelle? the pdf does not mentions fusion and plasma turrets and seem confused about PA Barbette's are these things going to be included. also manginess sizes for missile turrets. my players in my last campaign convert a free trader to jump2 by removing the passengers quarters and upgrading the power plant to tech 15 I can not remember if they lost any cargo in the conversion this also give them enough power to power there beam lasers. I can not remember if this type of conversion was passable with 2nd highgaurd or not.

Are you asking about Traveller Hero here or about our coming core rule set 'Translight' (which will be a percentile based Sci Fi game)?

William

For Traveller Hero:

yes the free trader will be in the book, not sure about the gazelle

yes there will be plasma and fusion turrets

not sure how were handling power plant efficiency

the J2 Free Trader is actually a Far Trader and is a standard design, and is going to cost you a bunch of cargo space[call it half]

Star Hero and TUV have never bothered with rules for what takes up how much space/tonnage etc, beyond saying it was pretty much up to the GM, which I flat out dont agree with, but Traveller Hero will have space requirement listings where possible, so GM's can use what they want

Star Hero and TUV have never bothered with rules for what takes up how much space/tonnage etc' date=' beyond saying it was pretty much up to the GM, which I flat out dont agree with, but Traveller Hero will have space requirement listings where possible, so GM's can use what they want[/quote']

And such specifics will doubtless be greatly welcomed by many Star HERO GMs. :thumbup:

However, The Ultimate Vehicle does go into a bit more detail on this subject, under "Equipment Mass And Volume" (p. 118). Essentially it asserts that as the default, the HERO rules don't make provision for mass or volume of equipment due to the variability of these factors from campaign to campaign. However, the section offers a few suggestions for the GM to establish ratios of mass and volume of different types of systems based on their Active Points. It also suggests formulas for modifying those Active Point numbers based on the level of technology of the system. It doesn't go into a lot of detail, but it's a decent starting point for one's own builds, and the formulas could be applied to existing ship builds if you wanted to make the effort.

If someone wanted to design their own deckplans for spaceships (and this would also be a worthwhile contribution to SH resources), TUV includes suggestions for the size of different types of propulsion systems, and the volume of fuel that each would require, in Chapter 5 under "Space Vehicle Basics" (pp. 85-92). That chapter also directs you to other system size specifics that are scattered throughout the book. (I don't have Star HERO handy, so I can't say how much of this info is included in that book.)

For Traveller Hero:

yes the free trader will be in the book, not sure about the gazelle

yes there will be plasma and fusion turrets

not sure how were handling power plant efficiency

the J2 Free Trader is actually a Far Trader and is a standard design, and is going to cost you a bunch of cargo space[call it half]

Star Hero and TUV have never bothered with rules for what takes up how much space/tonnage etc, beyond saying it was pretty much up to the GM, which I flat out dont agree with, but Traveller Hero will have space requirement listings where possible, so GM's can use what they want

free trader to far trader cargo loses a quarter(82 to 60 tons) as per mega traveller which I happen to have on ebook at work,from recall I'm sure this is the same in classic.

yes the J2 does louse cargo but this was a after market refit and the J2 keeps some passengers quarters. befor the refit my players had a passenger attempt to take over the ship so they wanted to keep cargo and ditch passenger rooms and it was the easyist for the refit.

• 3 weeks later...

well' date=' you have at least one sale here in New Zealand when this lot is published.[/quote']

I wait with suspence.

There are some really cool licenced HERO games (Bennie's Gestalt, Algernon Files and this). I can't wait.

Is there a mailing list or something we can subscribe to so as to not miss it. :)