7 heroes summoned through time: who are they?

ZombiePope

Re: 7 heroes summoned through time: who are they?

If interested, here is my take on RTEH's Conan:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/reh/conan.html

Wong Fei Hong (all 600+ points of him) can be found in Ninja Hero, I'll leave it to Oddhat to state how well he's been put together.

I can't offer any character sheets for any other suggestions, sorry.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhat more seriously... ;)

I'm not picking on you Ron, just a lot people have answer similar to yours.

Fine with me. In fact, I am somewhat disappointed that I read the thread first as I believe I could be much more original if I haven't.

I think there are quite a few deep thinker or inventors through the ages. Benjamin Franklin might be one. Sir Issac Newton' date=' Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, Tycho Brahe, etc. [/quote']

Great thinkers, all of them. But I am talking about people how designed very creative devices to their ages. No one can serious dispute Newton as the greatest physicist of his time. But I would rather list his rival, Robert Hooke, foremost experimental physicist of his time and also an exceptional architect and engineer, making important contributions to the design of nearly all scientific instruments of that age.

Don't forget those with a philosophical bent here too: Tao Te Ching (Taoism)' date=' Siddhārtha Gautama (Buddhism), etc. Anyone one of these guys might be required for unraveling some mystery, not fighting baddies.[/quote']

All great men. Don't forgot Plato, which is considered by many as probably the most intelligent man that left his ideas written. That if Socrates was a real person. In the case he was a fictional character, then Plato, according some experts, would certainly be the most intelligent man in history. Still, all those truly giants would hardly qualify as heroes in gaming sense.

I thought of adding Mohammed to the list. Not for the religious contribution but rather to his exceptional charisma. The man talked almost everybody he met into his religion. That's really exceptional. Still, I didn't want to mix religion with HERO. Didn't sounded right.

[Talking about Alexander and Gengis Kahn]

I object to these a little. Both of these individuals were of a "noble house" of some sort, which was a big part of their power. They could lead armies, but could the lead a small team? (For that matter, could they lead armies at all? How much of the work and planning was done by their underlings?)

With embellishment, Alexander could be a great heavy fighter and Gengis could be a master archer, but I don't think either actually were legendary fighters. Good fighters, sure, but not legendary.

For what I understand, there is evidence that Alexander, but not Gengis, was a great fighter. If you read my description, it was in this condition that I added him. I also have objections to the Kahn, as I have a hard time justifying the numerous massacres he ordered. Still, this man rise from a small chief to the greatest conqueror of all time. Certainly, he have was an exceptional charismatic leader and he was smart enough to manage his armies, his conquests, and still found time to raise the cultural level of his people. Hard to dismiss him easily.

Well' date='as leader of the 7 great villains,I would suggest Vlad the Impaler...[/quote']

Except in his homeland of Romania, where's he's something of a folk hero for defending his land from the Turks.

Vlad did go in for impaling in a big way, but aside from his style his tactics weren't much more brutal than what most of his peers were doing in that era.

Joan just doesn't strike me as useful. She never actually fought hand to hand as far as I can find; she was an inspirational general' date=' but an inspirational general isn't much use without an army.[/quote']

Well, according to her Wikipedia entry, many of those who fought beside her considered her a brilliant and inventive tactician. She may or may not have swung a sword on the battlefield, but she was right there leading from the front, and apparently was a pretty tough cookie. At various times she led her troops all day with a crossbow bolt wound to her leg, led a charge after pulling an arrow out of her own shoulder, and continued to climb a scaling ladder after taking a hit to her helmet from a stone cannonball.

For what I understand' date=' there is evidence that Alexander, but not Gengis, was a great fighter. If you read my description, it was in this condition that I added him. [/quote']

Yes, there a numerous stories of Alexander challenging notable foes to single combat, and on one occasion demonstrating his prowess by fighting a tiger one-on-one. Some of this may be apocryphal, of course, but for a fairly short man (even for his time) Alex has the rep of being pretty robust.

Her name is Yim Wing Chun, and it's a subschool of Kung Fu. The reality is that she modified the skills of one of the Venerable Five to be more flexible and speed related.

Thanks, that was her. And yes, I'm a Michelle Yeoh fan as well. :)

Wong Fei Hong (all 600+ points of him) can be found in Ninja Hero, I'll leave it to Oddhat to state how well he's been put together.

It's a first rate write up, and one I've used in play.

Joe "The Mighty Atom" Greenstein - Wrestler, Judoka, Yogi, strongman, world traveler, scholar. Survived a bullet to the head and released from the hospital the same day. Once took on an entire American Nazi rally and won, hospitalizing nineteen much younger, larger men; the judge threw the case out of court. One of those incredibly rare people who were just this side of real world Superheroes.

I thought the story was that the entire American Nazi rally ganged up on HIM, and then after starting the fight tried to charge him with assault because they lost?

Well' date=' according to her Wikipedia entry, many of those who fought beside her considered her a brilliant and inventive tactician. She may or may not have swung a sword on the battlefield, but she was right there leading from the front, and apparently was a pretty tough cookie. At various times she led her troops all day with a crossbow bolt wound to her leg, led a charge after pulling an arrow out of her own shoulder, and continued to climb a scaling ladder after taking a hit to her helmet from a stone cannonball.

Wow – much tougher than I realized.

I’m also told by a friend who read her trial transcripts that she reasoned and spoke so well even when up against very educated and cunning men and in the worst imaginable circumstances, that he’s surprised they didn’t burn the burn the trial records along with her, they leave such a good impression of her and such an embarrassing portrait of the clerics involved.

Lucius Alexander

Summoning a palindromedary

I thought the story was that the entire American Nazi rally ganged up on HIM, and then after starting the fight tried to charge him with assault because they lost?

Not exactly.

Paraphrased from Spielman's The Mighty Atom, p.179-182.

Greenstein targeted and was targeted by American Nazis starting in 1935, when he began adding anti-Nazi commentary to his act and other public appearances. He survived two full out attempts on his life by American Nazi hoodlums, both times disabling or chasing off his armed attackers.

February, 1939. Manhattan, a German Bund rally. Greenstein took offense at a large sign saying No Dogs or Jews Allowed posted on the second floor of a building. He rented a ladder and purchased a baseball bat from a nearby hardware store, and took down the sign. Some of those present at the rally attacked him, at which point he struck back using the baseball bat. Eighteen American Nazis were hospitalized before the police arrived on the scene to rescue the Nazis. Greenstein suffered a black eye. In court Greenstein did not contest the charges. The judge was informed by a police sergeant who had witnessed the incident that the Nazis had attacked Greenstein. The Judge dismissed the case.

7 heroes summoned through time: who are they?

Ah. So they attacked him, but after he provoked them by knocking down their sign. And he wasn't unarmed, either. Thanks for giving me a clearer picture of the incident.

Lucius Alexander

Painting over the "No" on a "No Palindromedaries Allowed" sign.

Ah. So they attacked him, but after he provoked them by knocking down their sign. And he wasn't unarmed, either. Thanks for giving me a clearer picture of the incident.

Well, Greenstein could and did do some pretty amazing things unarmed, but when facing armed opponents or (as in this case) a large gang, he preferred to grab a weapon.

Kind of takes away some of the magic.

Except in his homeland of Romania, where's he's something of a folk hero for defending his land from the Turks.

Vlad did go in for impaling in a big way, but aside from his style his tactics weren't much more brutal than what most of his peers were doing in that era.

He mostly impaled Turks, actually.

Just curious' date=' LL: how much of the team has been "established" so far, based on our suggestions?[/quote']

Um, you'll have to ask ZombiePope. It was his request that started this thread. I'm just one member of the thread's schmoozer squad.

That is a good question, though. How 'bout it, ZP? Any of this input help you decide?

I'd avoid Doc Holliday - despite being on the side of the "good guy" Earps, Holliday was a stone killer and not a nice man at all (he was, IIRC, the only man at the "showdown" who actually used pistols by preference).

If you want a "gunfighter" from the old west, I'd suggest Bat Masterson, one of the later gunmen. But you should remember that Bat used a rifle by preference, and only ever claimed to have knowingly killed two men (though he was in several battles where he may have killed more - but was never sure).

Or, of course, there was Wyatt Earp himself.

EDit: We seem to think alike, McCoy...

Yeah, Holliday was pretty vicious, if I remember. Though if I remember the Earp-Clanton thing was really a whole blown out feud. The Earps just happened to get lucky and be "deputized" when the OK occurred. Then again it seems with the West there are 100s of stories for each incident. :rolleyes:

Sticking to purely historical figures:

Miyamato Mushami

Hattori Hanzo (the real one)

Subotai

Charles Martel

Boudiccia

Judah Maccabe

Doc Holiday

Audey Murphy

Sugar Ray Robinson

Wyatt Earp

Buffalo Bill

Charles Martel

El Cid

Saladin

Bar Kochba

Eric the Red

Spartacus

Arthur Wellesley (The Duke of Wellington)

Horatio Nelson (Lord Nelson)

Sir Thomas Cochrane (The Famous Fighting Captain)

Hannibal

Rob Roy

Robert the Bruce

Richard the Lionheart

Joan of Arc

Aigairn - "Shining moon" (kublai khan's neice, who was said to be an astounding warrior).

Julius Caesar

Zenobia (some historical references to her to be martially inclined)

Yim Wing Chun (student of the nun Ng Mui who created Wing Chun)

Marc Antony

Vlad Tepes (pop culture rep aside, in Romania he is best remembered as a prince with a deep sense of justice and a defender of Wallachia against Ottoman expansionism).

Cleopatra

Cicero

Audey Murphy

Srgt. York

Lydia Litvyak (top female fighter ace in history)

Vasily Zaitsev (sniper; 242 germans killed; 114 at the battle of leningrad)

Gunny Carlos Hathcock (who really did shoot a sniper who was hunting him through the scope).

Robert E. Lee - The Gray Fox.

Geronimo

Sitting Bull

Captain John Coffee "Jack" Hayes, a texas ranger who rode with a native american who called him "bravo too much" (sound familiar?).

Wild Bill Hitchcock

Annie Oakley

Mark Twain

Davey Crocket

Bruce Lee

Shmeul HaNagid (rabbi; poet; successful general for the moors)

I think Julius Caeser should be on the list.

Consider that he had several careers, high priest of Rome, soldier, politician and lawyer before becoming a general.

Caeser was one of the Consuls of Rome and the second consul refused to work with him; Caeser worked on his own and brought in laws that were well researched and for Rome's benefit. At the end of his term for Consul Caeser stood down and prevented his colleague from negating all his good work by having one of the Tribunes of the Plebs veto his colleague's speech.

Caeser was once captured by pirates. While they held them for ransom he calmly informed them that once he was free he would come back and crucify them all. He did just that.

He held all the posts a man of his position could by dint of hard work.

He fought not only as a soldier and won honours but also as a general. For someone who has a belief in destiny, he claimed descent from the goddess Venus/Aphrodite, can you afford to leave him off ?

He was also immensely popular with the plebes for the institutional reforms that he undertook after being declared dictator. His fellow Patricans didn't like him much, though.

Yeah' date=' Holliday was pretty vicious, if I remember. Though if I remember the Earp-Clanton thing was really a whole blown out feud. The Earps just happened to get lucky and be "deputized" when the OK occurred. Then again it seems with the West there are 100s of stories for each incident. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Holiday was no worse than the Earps. He gets a bad rap, which is not to say he was a "good guy" or "nice man." A lot of the famous "heroes" of the Old West were "hard men" we wouldn't approve of today. In fact, I think you'll find most the the great leaders, warriors, and heroes of history, especially pre-modern history, wouldn't be accepted in our urban, industrialized, technocratic, flabby from affluence, and socially sanitized society. We're pretty tepid - I'd go so far as to say skittish - and our sensibilities match.

Um' date=' you'll have to ask ZombiePope. It was his request that started this thread. I'm just one member of the thread's schmoozer squad.[/quote']Somehow, right after I hit the "Submit" button, I had this inkling that I'd screwed this up again.... It's not the first time I've gotten confused over who started a thread. :idjit:

Holiday was no worse than the Earps. He gets a bad rap' date=' which is not to say he was a "good guy" or "nice man." A lot of the famous "heroes" of the Old West were "hard men" we wouldn't approve of today. In fact, I think you'll find most the the great leaders, warriors, and heroes of history, especially pre-modern history, wouldn't be accepted in our urban, industrialized, technocratic, flabby from affluence, and socially sanitized society. We're pretty tepid - I'd go so far as to say skittish - and our sensibilities match.[/quote']

You're right, of course. Goes back to my pet peeve in movies. Applying 20th century values to those of centuries earlier. One of the few things that induces me to scream at the TV. :o