7 heroes summoned through time: who are they?

ZombiePope

Re: 7 heroes summoned through time: who are they?

Before Christ: There is no greater than Alexander.

The Dark Ages: Clovis of the Franks, founder of France. If you want a woman from the Middle Ages, replace Clovis with Pepin the Short, his successor, a 4'6" man who fought with a 7' Greatsword. No lie.

The Middle Ages: Henry V, who really got the short end of the stick, the greatest warrior and diplomat of his age. If you want a woman, replace him with Joan of Arc

The Rennaissance: It can only be Leonardo Da Vinci. No one else will do.

The Age of Enlightenment-Industrial Revolution: This is a tough choice, but I would probably have to say General Wellington is your man.

Victorian to End of WWII: There is only one man who can do it all. That man is Theodore Roosevelt. Without TR, your team has no spirit, and no leader. If you prefer a martial artist, replace him with the legendary founder of Jin Wu Mun Martial Arts, in the movie Fearless.

Modern Era: If you don't have a martial artist yet, Bruce Lee is the king. If you do, there is only one alternative choice, and that woman is Amelia Earhart.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Julius Caeser should be on the list.

Consider that he had several careers, high priest of Rome, soldier, politician and lawyer before becoming a general.

Caeser was one of the Consuls of Rome and the second consul refused to work with him; Caeser worked on his own and brought in laws that were well researched and for Rome's benefit. At the end of his term for Consul Caeser stood down and prevented his colleague from negating all his good work by having one of the Tribunes of the Plebs veto his colleague's speech.

Caeser was once captured by pirates. While they held them for ransom he calmly informed them that once he was free he would come back and crucify them all. He did just that.

He held all the posts a man of his position could by dint of hard work.

He fought not only as a soldier and won honours but also as a general. For someone who has a belief in destiny, he claimed descent from the goddess Venus/Aphrodite, can you afford to leave him off ?

Can I afford to leave off the epiliptic man who's most noted for trying to conquer the world?

Geee, lemme think. Do I include a world conquerer on my list who's not terribly likely to do what I say, is liable to try and take revenge on me for attempting to do so and has the skills to do so or do I include a character from history or myth who's actually closer to the heroic ideal?

Yes, yes I think I can afford to leave him off.

I've only scanned through other people's lists' date=' but I might suggest either Samson, or Andre "the Giant" Rousimoff.[/quote']

How could I not have thought of Andre?

As a wrestling fan it should've been so obvious, yet it simply didn't occur to me to consider him for the list.

Rep to you!

My own list, partially based in great suggestions above:

1. Nicolas Tesla or Leonardo da Vinci -- if any man was a gadgeteer in Champions sense, would be one of them
  2. Sir Richard Burton -- explorer, linguist, spy, the generalist skill type
  3. Alexander the Great -- we should have cavalry in great style
  4. Miyamoto Musashi -- probably the best swordsman ever
  5. Gengis Kahn -- we need a conqueror, why not the greatest of all?
  6. Savinien de Cyrano de Bergerac -- duelist, writer and a strange figure to add, especially if you include some of the legends about him
  7. Bruce Lee -- do I need to tell why?

The only problem is, how in the heck will those guys ever be able to work together?

Somewhat more seriously... ;)

I'm not picking on you Ron, just a lot people have answer similar to yours.

My own list, partially based in great suggestions above:

[*]Nicolas Tesla or Leonardo da Vinci -- if any man was a gadgeteer in Champions sense, would be one of them

I think there are quite a few deep thinker or inventors through the ages. Benjamin Franklin might be one. Sir Issac Newton, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, Tycho Brahe, etc.

Don't forget those with a philosophical bent here too: Tao Te Ching (Taoism), Siddhārtha Gautama (Buddhism), etc. Anyone one of these guys might be required for unraveling some mystery, not fighting baddies.

[*]Alexander the Great -- we should have cavalry in great style

[*]Gengis Kahn -- we need a conqueror, why not the greatest of all?

I object to these a little. Both of these individuals were of a "noble house" of some sort, which was a big part of their power. They could lead armies, but could the lead a small team? (For that matter, could they lead armies at all? How much of the work and planning was done by their underlings?)

With embellishment, Alexander could be a great heavy fighter and Gengis could be a master archer, but I don't think either actually were legendary fighters. Good fighters, sure, but not legendary.

Who ould the top seven villians be?

Hitler? Genghis Khan? Caligula?

Barney the Dinosaur.

*shudders at the though of the Purple Plush Demon leading an army of purple-clad minions*

(And I know he's not quite dead, but since it's time-travel... what if?)

Just a thought - is language a problem? Or is that all part of the summoning spell.

Here's my 7. Seeing as you've included Conan I've stretched the list to include folk heroes and such. I've also avoided using any wizardly and magicky types. Finally I've tried to include a few who haven't been mentioned yet:

1) Conan (you said he is there)

2) Odysseus (cunning, warrior, noble)

3) Sir Galahad (at least as skilled as Lancelot, but more heroic)

4) Zatoichi (blind Japanese Swordsman.... like Daredevil. With a Katana).

5) Leonardo da Vinci (because he can draw with one hand while writing with the other... that's a superpower, right?)

6) Hans von Hammer (the Enemy Ace. Awesome Pilot. Honourable)

7) Fong Sai Yuk aka Fong Doe Duk aka Fung Doe Duk (chinese folk hero. Invulnerable like Achilles, Martial Arts like ten Bruce Lee)

Just a thought - is language a problem? Or is that all part of the summoning spell.

Here's my 7. Seeing as you've included Conan I've stretched the list to include folk heroes and such. I've also avoided using any wizardly and magicky types. Finally I've tried to include a few who haven't been mentioned yet:

1) Conan (you said he is there)

2) Odysseus (cunning, warrior, noble)

3) Sir Galahad (not as skilled as Lancelot, but more heroic)

Actually Sir Galahad was more skilled then Lancelot. He was pretty much the best of King Arthur's knights. Kind of the point really, since he was the one who found the Holy Grail.

I thought Galahad found the Holy Grail because he was the most worthy, not necessarily the most skilled at arms...

Anyway edits made because you may be right...

...I may be crazy...

Hey, why isn't Billy Joel on the list?

:)

I thought Galahad found the Holy Grail because he was the most worthy, not necessarily the most skilled at arms...

Anyway edits made because you may be right...

...I may be crazy...

Hey, why isn't Billy Joel on the list?

:)

I definetly remember a story where Galahad and Lancelot had a friendly joust just to see who was better, with Galahad beating him handily.

Great generals aren't often particularly noteworthy personal combatants, and seven real historical figures would generally be seven interesting hostages in a Supers world. Heck, culture shock alone would do in most historical "heroes".

But, assuming that the historical figures get a memory upgrade including all relevant language and everyman skills, I might say:

Joe "The Mighty Atom" Greenstein - Wrestler, Judoka, Yogi, strongman, world traveler, scholar. Survived a bullet to the head and released from the hospital the same day. Once took on an entire American Nazi rally and won, hospitalizing nineteen much younger, larger men; the judge threw the case out of court. One of those incredibly rare people who were just this side of real world Superheroes.

Harry Houdini - Great escape artist, skilled stage magician. investigator, brawler, world traveler, a real world Pulp Hero.

Audie Murphy - The man was a Hero, and just short of a Superhero. Most decorated American in WWII, infantryman, officer, author, movie star, musician and song writer. An American legend.

Wong Fei Hung - The martial artist's martial artist. Bruiser, doctor, healer, leader, teacher, patriot. An amazing man.

Huo Yuanjia - Patriot, brute, killer, teacher, one of the men who finally ended Martial Arts Competitions as blood sports in China. Another contender for the "greatest hand to hand fighter ever" title, certainly one of the best competitive hand to hand fighters China ever produced.

Miyamoto Musashi - Again, a borderline Superhero, and a contender for the title of greatest swordsman ever. Scholar, teacher, tactician, author of the Book of Five Rings.

Robert Heinlein - Author, visionary, Naval officer, inventor, failed politician. Almost useless in a fight compared to the rest of this gang (though in full youth and health he could still shoot a gun or throw a punch), but the kind of thinker who might come in handy. Besides, someone has to write the story afterwards.

Has anyone mentioned Joan of Arc?

A lot of folks are pushing her. Comics have taught us that we need to have a girl on the team. ;)

Joan just doesn't strike me as useful. She never actually fought hand to hand as far as I can find; she was an inspirational general, but an inspirational general isn't much use without an army.

I'd go for the female founder of one of the schools of Tai Chi; she was supposed to be an amazing fighter. Can't remember her name right now.

Her name is Yim Wing Chun, and it's a subschool of Kung Fu. The reality is that she modified the skills of one of the Venerable Five to be more flexible and speed related.

There's a very cool, yet somewhat inaccurate movie starring Michelle Yeoh (My heroine of chinese martial arts films forever) as Yim Wing Chun, which has an awesome fight with a cotton belly master at the end.

I know at some point in the past I sent Mike Surbrook this movie on VHS, so I know he's seen it too.