What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

For me even the most heart-wrenching writing decisions in Buffy, and the ones I like the least (Xander and Ayna splitting, Tara's death, Johnathan never really getting the redemption or acceptance he was trying so hard for - another good example of a truly tragic character, Anya's rather anti-climactic death) were better in context than pretty much any plot on Angel.

While I agree with some of your choices here, my biggest gripe is what happened to Joyce. And Dawn being "the key" didn't fit her character, why not something normal, like a daughter that stayed with Buffy's father, who has now come to live with Buffy & her mum?

Joss (and the writers) were going to much for metaphorical subtext in both Buffy & Angel and not trying to tell stories based in reality (with the suspension of belief of the supernatural premise of the show notwithstanding).

Of both series, the only character I think had much more room to grow and had a story that could have been very interesting is Willow - part of me wonders if something really cool wouldn't have come out of a 3-4 season spin-off series focusing on her character after Buffy ended.
Willow would have been an awesome spinoff, there was also talk of Spike or Giles spinoff and Eliza turned down a Faith spinoff to do Tru Calling.

Saw The Good' date=' The Bad & The Weird with Susano & friends. An exceptionally good Wuxia-Pulp-Western. Makes me want to run my Asian Pulp campaign.[/quote']

We saw this on the big screen in a theatre two weeks ago, with the soundtrack pumped right up. I'd seen it before (my wife hadn't) but I enjoyed the heck out of it anyway. That first scene with the train robbery? Pure cinema gold.

cheers, Mark

We saw this on the big screen in a theatre two weeks ago, with the soundtrack pumped right up. I'd seen it before (my wife hadn't) but I enjoyed the heck out of it anyway. That first scene with the train robbery? Pure cinema gold.

cheers, Mark

I think I've seen it about 8 times now. I really need to present the Good, The Bad, and the Weird in 6E over in the Pulp forum.

Any tips about which episodes you didn't like in season 5 of Angel' date=' I'm sure ghost-angel and myself would find it helpful.[/quote']

Been a very long time since I watched season 5, and my tastes are not likely your tastes. :)

That said, I disliked the finale, which is pretty much unskipable; I deeply disliked the "funny" tracking Buffy in Italy episode, where our Heroes suffer an exceptionally bad case of plot induced incompetence; I disliked the Return of Connor, where the Miracle Boy plays out the last of his anticlimactic destiny. I also didn't think the season held together well; too many plot seeds and threads went nowhere. I understand the production problems that caused the meltdown, but that didn't make it easier to watch.

YMMV, of course.

Been a very long time since I watched season 5, and my tastes are not likely your tastes. :)

That said, I disliked the finale, which is pretty much unskipable; I deeply disliked the "funny" tracking Buffy in Italy episode, where our Heroes suffer an exceptionally bad case of plot induced incompetence; I disliked the Return of Connor, where the Miracle Boy plays out the last of his anticlimactic destiny. I also didn't think the season held together well; too many plot seeds and threads went nowhere. I understand the production problems that caused the meltdown, but that didn't make it easier to watch.

YMMV, of course.

Gee, didn't recognised you with the change of avatar. ;) Thanks for the feedback.

The finale i recall was like a part 1 that went nowhere (cue season 6 of Angel in the comics for the resolution).

The funny" tracking Buffy in Italy episode - is that the episode where Andrew (now watcher) shows up? sort-of looking forward to that.

I disliked the Return of Connor, where the Miracle Boy plays out the last of his anticlimactic destiny. Not a fan of Connor as a character, but do like the actor.

One theme I'm half-looking forward to is the Circle of the Black Thorn storyline. That might be good.

Also there is an episode involving a Well. that concept looks interesting.

While I agree with some of your choices here' date=' my biggest gripe is what happened to Joyce. And Dawn being "the key" didn't fit her character, why not something normal, like a daughter that stayed with Buffy's father, who has now come to live with Buffy & her mum? [/quote']Because Buffy was an only child?

We have been watching Talespin via netflix for my son, 4 years old. My wife has been picking up the collections of Chip and Dales rescue Rangers.

I want to kick someone at Disney.

The 5(?) part series where the Rescue Rangers meet up and form a group was not on the first disk.

or the second, or the third.

It was on the First disk of the SECOND Volume!

What the heck were they thinking/smoking?

We have been watching Talespin via netflix for my son, 4 years old. My wife has been picking up the collections of Chip and Dales rescue Rangers.

I want to kick someone at Disney.

The 5(?) part series where the Rescue Rangers meet up and form a group was not on the first disk.

or the second, or the third.

It was on the First disk of the SECOND Volume!

What the heck were they thinking/smoking?

Those episodes were the first 5 of the second season so they were releasing them in the order that they originaly aired.

Those episodes were the first 5 of the second season so they were releasing them in the order that they originaly aired.

okay, so it is the original production team that needs to get kicked...

and still, what the heck were they thinking/smoking?

watching the first volume, I kept thinking "Where did Monty and Gadget come from?"

oh well...

Also there is an episode involving a Well. that concept looks interesting.

Ah yes, The Well - where Joss decided that Fred was an interesting character in Angel and therefore must be ruined. I hated that story line, and I hadn't even seen the seasons before where Fred was introduced at the time I first saw it. Now that I've seen way more episodes with Fred in it I really hate that storyline.

Now that I'm thankfully past the Faith storyline in Angel I can just skip ahead to the Luchador and Muppet episodes and then let the pain fade. I like how Faith is turning out though, obviously if she'd stuck around in the Angel series she'd just have been ruined. . .

Almost done with Buffy, funny I never imagined I'd want to slap Giles, the whole Robin Wood arc was mildly annoying, but I like how it let Spike and Buffy grow a little each.

Speaking of Faith, I was thinking about the proposed idea they had for her spin-off - "Faith on a motorcycle finding her place in the world" . . . I imagine it would have run a lot like Kung Fu; and then I realized I don't think Joss could write a show like that and it would have really sucked. Though now I wonder what idea he had for the Giles "Ripper" spin-off, I like Anthony Head but I've no idea where he'd take that character at all. Ah well, almost done with the the Whedon stuff before I move on.

Ah yes' date=' The Well - where Joss decided that Fred was an interesting character in Angel and therefore must be ruined. I hated that story line, and I hadn't even seen the seasons before where Fred was introduced at the time I first saw it. Now that I've seen way more episodes with Fred in it I really hate that storyline. [/quote'] I forgot what happened to Fred. Though am glad that Amy is still part of the cast.

Now that I'm thankfully past the Faith storyline in Angel I can just skip ahead to the Luchador and Muppet episodes and then let the pain fade. I like how Faith is turning out though, obviously if she'd stuck around in the Angel series she'd just have been ruined. . .

Almost done with Buffy, funny I never imagined I'd want to slap Giles, the whole Robin Wood arc was mildly annoying, but I like how it let Spike and Buffy grow a little each.

Yeah, I disliked that little bit of vendeta, and pointless to.

Speaking of Faith, I was thinking about the proposed idea they had for her spin-off - "Faith on a motorcycle finding her place in the world" . . . I imagine it would have run a lot like Kung Fu; and then I realized I don't think Joss could write a show like that and it would have really sucked. Though now I wonder what idea he had for the Giles "Ripper" spin-off, I like Anthony Head but I've no idea where he'd take that character at all. Ah well, almost done with the the Whedon stuff before I move on.

Ripper was originally a proposed television show based upon the character of Rupert Giles portrayed by Anthony Stewart Head. More recent information has suggested that if Ripper were ever made' date=' it would be a TV movie or a DVD movie.[85'] There was little heard about the series until 2007 when Joss Whedon confirmed that talks were almost completed for a 90 minute Ripper special on the BBC [86] with both Head and the BBC completely on board. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_(TV_series)#Undeveloped_spinoffs)

& this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undeveloped_Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_spinoffs#Ripper

Well yeah - but what would it be ABOUT specifically. I can see where he could take Faith as a character. Or Willow. Or heck - even Xander as a Character. but Ripper? He's support. I just can't imagine a plot involving him as a main character that would be interesting. Not in a Whedon-world anyways. I can't even imagine what kind of storyline he'd write- is my point.

Well yeah - but what would it be ABOUT specifically. I can see where he could take Faith as a character. Or Willow. Or heck - even Xander as a Character. but Ripper? He's support. I just can't imagine a plot involving him as a main character that would be interesting. Not in a Whedon-world anyways. I can't even imagine what kind of storyline he'd write- is my point.

The idea was "Cracker with ghosts", Cracker being the Robbie Coltrane UK show. The format being as a tele-movie or 13-episode tv season. A two-hour pilot and some episode story ideas have been written. THe main theme Joss talked about was loneliness for Giles. As you said, the question remains would it be good.

For me an additional question is as Ripper is a step back in time to Giles in his college days and Tony Head about 10 years older, not sure how that would work.

I'd imagine a template that could be used if they went the "Cracker with ghosts" route is John Silence or Carnacki the Ghost-Finder; basically Holmes with the supernatural ("Cracker with ghosts" being modern phraseology, my "Holmes with the supernatural" being closer to the era in which the stories were written). And I'm sure that sort of story, theme for a show (as John Silence and Carnacki show) would have a dedicated fan base.

Dead Snow-Foreign flick with....wait for it...nazi zombies. Fun in a gory goofy kind of way. Catch the scene where one of the characters tries to prevent the zombie infection from spreading. Hilarious.

Toy Story 3- Good Didn't disappoint despite being a second sequel.

Iron Man 2- Entertaining enough. Not the same wow factor as the first...and the story was a bit thin for the running time, but I generally got my money's worth.

UP- Yeah..on a Pixar kick. This was also pretty good. Not my favorite among the Pixar flicks, but a good watch.

Incredibles- Now THIS is my favorite Pixar flick. I LOVE this film! Can't say enough good things about it really...

Big Eden-Unconventional love story. Normally, I wouldn't watch a film like this. I hate dramas(especially given the subject matter). Saw this with friends had had to admit it wasn't too bad. Helped that it mixed in a fair amount of humor to go with the rest of the story.

Dead Zone- One of the better Steve King adaptations. Creepy as hell. Christopher Walken is excellent in this.

Wrong Turn- Wrong movie...nuff said...bleagh!

Kick Ass- I liked this one. Better than the graphic novel. Hit Girl was all kinds of awesome....and....amazingly...Nick Cage doesn't completely suck in this.