What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Whitechapel - basically about a serial killer Jack the Ripper copycat from the POV of the cops hunting him down and the Ripperologist assisting them who soon becomes a suspect himself. Good performances by the actors, but spilt (IMO) by tilted cameras, green filters and (sub-)NYPD Blue-editing (all designed to make it look even cooler and edgier, no doubt).

Holmes and Batman share a common literary heritage. Both driven' date=' often cold men, who could be great villains - But deliberately choose not to.[/quote']

Which I why I like the idea of Holmes or Watson taking the pseudonym of "Alfred" and being Batman's trainer and butler.

Which I why I like the idea of Holmes or Watson taking the pseudonym of "Alfred" and being Batman's trainer and butler.

...That would explain Alfred's medical expertise. Perhaps one of their adventures resulted in a longer lifespan? Alfred as Watson, I mean. I don't see him as Holmes, but Watson? That, definitely.

Got through Season 3 of Buffy - the Mayor is the second creepiest evil thing I've ever seen... evil shouldn't be so... sincerely cheery. (The Gentlemen being by far one of the scariest things I have ever seen on screen.)

Now about halfway into Season 4 Buffy/Season 1 Angel (watching them all in order of air dates). Yay Spike!

You know... Spike and Cordelia should have gotten their own spin-off show - they could snark evil into submission. Xander less of a jerk, Willow still adorable (sad heartbroken Willow is emotionally crushing - so far she's the only one that's really pulled it off in the series), Buffy's early season angst was annoying, luckily she seems to be over it about 10 episodes in.

I don't mind that they killed Doyle so early in Angel, it sets up Cordy for all kinds of growth and fun, but they shouldn't have introduced Wesley so quickly - or at all. Can't stand him much, and I think the show could have carried itself at least a little while on the strength of Angel and Cordelia walking that road alone for a little bit. Ah well. Wesley is a crappy character.

I don't mind that they killed Doyle so early in Angel, it sets up Cordy for all kinds of growth and fun, but they shouldn't have introduced Wesley so quickly - or at all. Can't stand him much, and I think the show could have carried itself at least a little while on the strength of Angel and Cordelia walking that road alone for a little bit. Ah well. Wesley is a crappy character.

The actor who played Doyle suicided a couple of years after leaving the show. Not sure of the reason he left (or was fired).

And Wesley gets less goofy as time goes on. The character I couldn't understand why was with Team Angel and couldn't stand for a long time was/is Gunn which gets introduced late in season 1 of Angel.

Cordy is just awesome in the early Angel.

He gets better.

Agree. I like him as a more serious character, and props to the actor who can pull of silliness and farce* as well as seriousness when needed*.

That ballet deleted scene was a hoot. Amy Acker has ballet training hence could do the scene professionally, Alexis Denisof doesn't and him mimicking Amy was rofl-worthy.

It was as unintentional as a heroin addiction ever is - meaning he didn't intend to overdose, but then drug addicts rarely do.

Whedon had intended to kill of the character from the get-go; He wasn't contracted for the full season due to this - it wasn't that he was fired or left for any reason beyond Joss wanted to write the character in and out quickly.

Corrupting a hero is something pretty much all villains try to do. There was no sexual aspect.
Indeed. The Mayor almost took on a healthy, paternal role for Faith. It was twisted and corrupted because he, you know, wanted to have a picnic with the graduation class. As the meal. Still, evil should be pompous, arrogant, sneaky, grim, murderous or a whole bunch of other traits. It should not be somebody reminding you to mind your manners and put the best foot forward. That was some twisted stuff.

Started watching a documentary on Hulu called Needle Through Brick. Two things struck me about that show. One, the titular style is retarded and looked to me like it was made up to get on camera. Two, Malaysia is absolutely crawling with ancient Kung-Fu masters disguised as cooks, cobblers, bakers, or whatever. There are more of them than you can shake a bo staff at. Don't invade Malaysia because you are going to be schooled and sent home crying by a bunch of stooped, old men reliving the glory days.

Corrupting a hero is something pretty much all villains try to do. There was no sexual aspect.

Dictionary: "a rich older man who lavishes gifts on a young woman in return for her company or sexual favors."

Boldfaced key parts of the above definition. Agree that no sexual favours were mentioned, but her company certainly was. As Nolgroth says, he acted as a father figure towards Faith.

Yeah - what made the Mayor work as pure evil is that he was one of the most 'wholesome' characters in the show. Which makes sense, you can't build, nurture and grow a whole town based on the usual villain tropes.

The only other times the show has given me the creeps is when the villain is found in a Faerie Tale Book instead of the usual musty tome.