What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Kung Fu Panda 3: Po meets his biological father, and travels with him to a hidden panda, and has to face an evil spirit threatening all of China. It's a good watch. (Blu-ray)

Kung Fu Panda 4: In order to become a spiritual leader, Po must find someone to train to become the dragon warrior. Meanwhile, an evil sorceress has plans to release all of Po's vanquished enemies from the spirit realm. It's a good watch. (In theaters)

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

Tangentially related to my recent viewings of Star Trek (the original series): Someone online asked why the Romulans seemed so angry all the time. My favorite response went something like this:

"So you've got the Vulcans, whose intelligence and scientific achievements are rivaled only by their smug superiority in the same.

"You've got the Andorians, a militaristic society who's spent years / decades / centuries fighting with the Vulcans.

"You've got the Tellarites, who have raised belligerence and antagonism to the level of a racial stereotype. 

"And now you have humans, these self-righteous little space monkeys who can barely find their way around a warp core but who have, nevertheless, managed to make the other three all play nice with each other. 

"So if I'm the Romulan Star Empire and I wake up with these guys at my doorstep every morning, I'm probably gonna be cranky too."

It's funny, during TOS the Romulans were depicted as tough and aggressive, but also disciplined and honorable. While Klingons were shown to be deceitful, sneaky, and manipulative. In the TNG era those racial/cultural roles were essentially reversed.

Aliens (1986 Theatrical Cut): Ripley's lifeboat is found, 57 years after the events in Alien. After finding that the planet's been colonized for 20 years, and that communications was suddenly cut off, she becomes an advisor to a crew of marines sent to investigate. This is the recently-released 4K version, and the picture's much more detailed and brighter than I remember on VHS or DVD. HDR color grading is very good, but the picture looks a bit scrubbed to eliminate film grain*. Sound mix is detailed, but mixed somewhat low for most of the scenes.  The package features both the 1986 Theatrical Cut and the 1990 Special Edition on UHD and standard Blu-ray, with an additional Blu-ray of extras. It's a good watch. (4K UHD Blu-ray)

*The three recent releases (Aliens, True Lies, and The Abyss) were supervised and approved by James Cameron, and the conversion reportedly involved processing to make them look like they were shot on modern digital cameras.

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Aliens (1986 Theatrical Cut): Ripley's lifeboat is found, 57 years after the events in Alien. After finding that the planet's been colonized for 20 years, and that communications was suddenly cut off, she becomes an advisor to a crew of marines sent to investigate. This is the recently-released 4K version, and the picture's much more detailed and brighter than I remember on VHS or DVD. HDR color grading is very good, but the picture looks a bit scrubbed to eliminate film grain*. Sound mix is detailed, but mixed somewhat low for most of the scenes.  The package features both the 1986 Theatrical Cut and the 1990 Special Edition on UHD and standard Blu-ray, with an additional Blu-ray of extras. It's a good watch. (4K UHD Blu-ray)

*The three recent releases (Aliens, True Lies, and The Abyss) were supervised and approved by James Cameron, and the conversion reportedly involved processing to make them look like they were shot on modern digital cameras.

Okay, does this theatrical cut have the scene about Ripley's daughter?  The sentry guns?  Hudson's dropship speech?  Newt's parents finding the derelict spacecraft?

Excellent taste in films, by the way.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Okay, does this theatrical cut have the scene about Ripley's daughter?  The sentry guns?  Hudson's dropship speech?  Newt's parents finding the derelict spacecraft?

This is the best version.

FYI - I saw Aliens in the theater when it first came out.  17 years old at the time and I remember as I got up out of my seat and was walking out - I actually felt physically and mentally exhausted.  As if I'd been working out for 2 hours straight.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Excellent taste in films, by the way.

That would be the 1990 version, and it's included on the 4K and standard Blu-ray discs. While I like that version, the original 1986 release seemed to be a tighter and scarier version. Without the sentry guns, for example, they are forced into a firefight with very little ammo against the hordes of aliens. 

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

That would be the 1990 version, and it's included on the 4K and standard Blu-ray discs. While I like that version, the original 1986 release seemed to be a tighter and scarier version. Without the sentry guns, for example, they are forced into a firefight with very little ammo against the hordes of aliens. 

Agreed.  Of the deleted scenes, only the one about Ripley's daughter improved on the theatrical release, IMO.

But sentry guns.

I saw this film five times in the theater the year it came out.  It's still exceptional for its lack of plot holes.

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

FYI - I saw Aliens in the theater when it first came out.  17 years old at the time and I remember as I got up out of my seat and was walking out - I actually felt physically and mentally exhausted.  As if I'd been working out for 2 hours straight.

I saw the original Alien in theaters when it first came out. I don't like scary movies, but my mother loved them, and insisted on me accompanying her. I'd never before felt so emotionally abused and manipulated. By the last fifteen minutes of the movie, I was so drained of feeling, I wouldn't have cared if the damn alien stepped off the screen and sat beside me. I kept thinking to myself, "Just eat the b!tch and let me go home."

That experience was a significant contributor to my conscious refusal to suspend my disbelief when it comes to film scares. I never lose my awareness that they're fake, so they don't frighten me any more.

I do admire Alien on an intellectual level, though. And I enjoy the thrills of Aliens.

Dune part 2. Nothing is perfect, but this version is my favorite adaptation of the book. In my opinion, this is better than the Star Wars science fiction franchise. It is a beautiful spectacle showing the dangers of hero worship, which could enable corruptible people into positions of power, who could become tyrants who kill billions of people.

I just finished watching the first episode of X-Men '97. I think it stays pretty true to the original in terms of animation style and tone. Wolverine's deep gravelly voice, Gambit's ridiculous Cajun accent, Scott trying really hard to sound earnest but coming off as pompous, lots of bright pink power effects, all that jazz.

It looks promising.

Who Done It: the Clue Documentary: A documentary about the movie, Clue, with interviews with some of the cast. It would have been a great 30-minute Youtube video; unfortunately, it's 11 minutes longer than the movie it is discussing. I recommend skipping, and just watching the original movie again. (Amazon Prime)

Highlander: A battle of immortals for the Prize. I'd wish for a sequel, but "There can be only one." It's a good watch. (Amazon Prime)

I've watched the first two episodes of X-Men '97, and I'm looking forward to more. (Disney+)

The Ten Commandments: It's been a tradition to watch this movie around Easter/Passover since I was a kid. A few years back, Paramount released it on 4K UHD, and it generally looks and sounds great. It's a good watch. (4K UHD Blu-ray)

Paint Your Wagon: This was the favorite movie of one of my bosses, some 25 years ago. I'll admit, the movie's grown on me. It's based on the Lerner and Loewe stage musical, modified a bit for the screen. It's essentially a Comedy-Musical-Western, with Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, and Jean Seberg in the lead roles. Lee Marvin's singing voice was described by Seberg as "like rain gurgling down a rusty pipe". Kino Lorber released a 4K UHD version today. Picture is much improved over the older DVD copy I have had, and there's the choice of 2.0 or 5.1 sound. (4K UHD Blu-ray)

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: Animated film in the Batman: TAS setting. A mysterious figure is targeting gangsters, and the world's greatest detective investigates. It's a good watch. (Blu-ray)

The Warriors: Until recently, the only version of this movie that was commonly available on DVD/Blu-ray was the Director's cut, which added comic book-style bumpers between scenes, and a lengthy introduction connecting it to the ancient Greek story, Anabasis. This release restores the original Theatrical cut, which flows much better. My copy is on Blu-ray; I couldn't justify $50 for the 4K version. Overall, the transfer is very good, and the sound mix has the choice of mono, stereo, or Atmos. It's a good watch. (Blu-ray)

A Haunting in Venice: A retired Poirot is lured out to attend a seance at a crumbling, haunted palazzo, and must investigate several deaths while everyone is trapped by a storm. I enjoyed it. (Blu-ray)

Dune: The Second Half.  Villenueve knows how to shoot a beautiful film, wish I could have seen it in IMAX.  Pretty faithful to the book, though it cuts away some arguably unnecessary parts in a way that probably improves the movie.  Looking forward to the Third Half.