What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I've taken in about four Washington Nationals baseball games this week. Last night's game was particularly intriguing: the visiting Miami Marlins would take a lead, the Nats would come back to tie, the Fish would take the lead again, the Nats would come back until the bottom of the eighth when Washington scored six runs to break the game open with only the top of the ninth left to play. They ended up winning 10-7.

The Nationals were twenty-one games over .500 after last night and lead the NL East by three games over Atlanta. Not even in the Montreal days had the franchise built a record like that coming into the dog days of August. Thus there is a huge controversy about the plans of the Washington management to shut down ace pitcher Stephen Strasburg after he pitches 160 innings: Strasburg is coming off "Tommy John surgery" (A procedure to replace a ligament in his throwing shoulder) and the team doesn't want him permanently damaged. But Strasburg, feeling the heat of a pennant race and the Braves hot on their heels, wants to keep pitching. At his current rate he would have to stop pitching the first week in September, as the race hits its climax. The final decision will apparently be made by the front office, not by Strasburg or manager Davey Johnson.

Battleship. NMN. Needs More Neeson. But otherwise good.

John Carter. Just does not engage. And I was always under the impression that Dejah Thoris was supposed to be very attractive.

I believe she was described as the most beautiful woman on Barsoom.

The Dark Knight Rises

Not the best superhero movie this summer. More like street-level superheroes. The only indication there was something different about Bain apart from the mask and accent) was when he took a swing at Batman and hit a concrete pillar (Wall? Not sure.) and knocked a chunk about it. I think the people making the DC movies still don't grok the superhero genre and try to make them add "realism" so people don't mistake them for kiddie movies, the exception being the Green Lantern Movie in which there were loads of supers but also some very stupid shenanigans that showed these guys still had a loose grasp of the source material.

The Dark Knight Rises

Not the best superhero movie this summer. More like street-level superheroes. The only indication there was something different about Bain apart from the mask and accent) was when he took a swing at Batman and hit a concrete pillar (Wall? Not sure.) and knocked a chunk about it. I think the people making the DC movies still don't grok the superhero genre and try to make them add "realism" so people don't mistake them for kiddie movies, the exception being the Green Lantern Movie in which there were loads of supers but also some very stupid shenanigans that showed these guys still had a loose grasp of the source material.

wouldnt knocking out a piece of wall be within banes power?

wouldnt knocking out a piece of wall be within banes power?

As far as I know - yes. But, to be honest, I don't want to see a guy who can punch out a piece of wall. I want to see a guy who can punch the whole wall down. This is why (IMO) Avengers hit all the right notes and all of the trailers for TDKR soured me on the movie.

Tried to watch the Comic-Con 2012 Supernatural panel. It was painful. The host was like a robot, jumping from person to person on the panel, asking for plot details regarding the next season. He lacked any personality whatsoever and the only relief came from Jared Padlecki and Misha Collins trying to make it fun. It finally started picking up when it got to the fan questions. Watching some of the spaztastic fans was entertaining.

You know, Comic-Con is a pretty big deal. Couldn't they have hired somebody with personality to do the interview. A cardboard cutout of Michael Jordan with pre-recorded questions voiced by a "blitzed out of his mind: hobo would have been more interesting. Probably more salient too. Maybe the guy that did the Bones panel a couple of years back might have been available. What a wasted opportunity for the fans

True Grit, the remake with Jeff Bridges. Never saw the original (not really a John Wayne fan) but this was a solid western. Jeff Bridges was great as a burnt out, but still effective US Marshall, but the girl who hires him to find her fathers killer stole the movie.

Two Mules for Sister Sara, seen it many times and it never gets old.

Iron Man 2, somehow had missed this one. Almost as good as the first, and I'm really liking how Black Widow is fitting into the movies.

True Grit, the remake with Jeff Bridges. Never saw the original (not really a John Wayne fan) but this was a solid western. Jeff Bridges was great as a burnt out, but still effective US Marshall, but the girl who hires him to find her fathers killer stole the movie.

Iron Man 2, somehow had missed this one. Almost as good as the first, and I'm really liking how Black Widow is fitting into the movies.

A lot of people say that about the remake of "True Grit" but I actually preferred the performance by Kim Darby in the original. Still a worthy remake mind you, but I missed some of the classic lines particularly the "Fill your hands you son of a bitch !" line from Rooster after he has been called a "One eyed fat man" just before the running gun battle starts.

A lot of people say that about the remake of "True Grit" but I actually preferred the performance by Kim Darby in the original. Still a worthy remake mind you' date=' but I missed some of the classic lines particularly the "Fill your hands you son of a bitch !" line from Rooster after he has been called a "One eyed fat man" just before the running gun battle starts.[/quote']

I think the performance of Kim Darby is one of the detriments of the original. The new version has a girl that is more believeable.

Two Mules is a fun film. Particularly when Clint finds out the truth about Shirlkey Maclaine's character.

Me ? I watched Golden Moments of the Olympics which covers 2000, 2004 and then 2008 in real depth.