What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

La Femme Nikita (1991)- French with English Subtitles.

An odd movie. After watching it, I realize why it was remade for American audiences. I just don't get the main character at all. She's outright psychotic during the first half of the movie and then suddenly, without explanation, starts to break down into tears whenever she kills somebody as an assassin. It was a huge disconnect for me.

I didn't like it at all. I heard so many good things about it that I wonder if the people who recommended it actually watched it. Or perhaps, it is like the Highlander phenomenon. The movie itself is Grade B (or lower) cheese, but the concepts behind it are very evocative. I like the re-makes better. Even the lousy TV show.

La Femme Nikita (1991)- French with English Subtitles.

An odd movie. After watching it, I realize why it was remade for American audiences. I just don't get the main character at all. She's outright psychotic during the first half of the movie and then suddenly, without explanation, starts to break down into tears whenever she kills somebody as an assassin. It was a huge disconnect for me.

I didn't like it at all. I heard so many good things about it that I wonder if the people who recommended it actually watched it. Or perhaps, it is like the Highlander phenomenon. The movie itself is Grade B (or lower) cheese, but the concepts behind it are very evocative. I like the re-makes better. Even the lousy TV show.

Simple. After misbehaving at the start when she is recruited, her handler points out that from here on in she has to behave or die. She is then conditioned to think and act in a particular way and then finds out that the planned way out does not exist. After geting away she then finds out that the handlers planned it that way. That is what gets to her.

I think the American version wimped out big time.

I sat through all the Closing Ceremony of the Olympics.

The Dark Knight Rises -- I was very impressed. A minor deal for me was the editing' date=' but that's because I read a comment about it online. My brothers were not bothered, and since they too are movie buffs, I think the flaw was mostly with me. :)[/quote']

If the version you saw had people talking when their mouths were clearly not moving, like the one I saw did, then the problem was certainly not with you.

Falling Skies Season 1. About halfway through the season. I have to say that this show is pretty awesome. It is filled with a (mostly) positive tone, despite being Post-Apocalyptic. There have been moments of intense action and drama in equal measure. It also has moments that are surprisingly touching. For a large cast, most everybody gets screen time with some regularity. I'm going to give this one a thumbs up.

I have only two problems with the show. The first is my own cynicism. I just "know" that the pregnant woman bears some sort of alien hybrid. I so desperately hope they don't go there but it is broadcast TV. I think there is an unwritten law, or heck maybe it is written, that says pregnant women in shows with an alien presence, have to have the alien-human baby. Don't spoil it. I want to either breathe a sigh of relief or groan on the show's merits.

The other major problem I have is that I will never be able to look at the Star Frontiers Vrusk species and not see the Skitters. Ever. I know one is reptilian and the other is insectoid, but damn me if the Skitters don't fit exactly as I picture the Vrusk. I never really cared for the Centaur-Millipede appearance from the main book.

One of the most recent things I watched was the Dr. Suess TV special The Hoober-Bloob Highway. Unlike most of these specials it was an original teleplay by the good doctor himself. This was one of the rare times he worked in a long form.

The special is about the service that dispatches babies to the Earth and the fate of one baby in particular. The baby must decide whether he really wants to be born, and Hoober-Bloob shows him life on Earth to help him decide.

This gave Dr Seuss the opportunity to take satiric digs at American life at the time, such as a public education system that favors rote learning over understanding, an inane bureaucracy demanding more and more information from those it "serves", and a society in general that seeks to stifle individual creativity.

just finished Eureka season 4. HOly Caca!!!

Time for a full bore, all out hunting expedition with all the resources of Eureka. For someone how claimed to "not be the bad guy" I want Beverly dead quite seriously. After a long, thorough interrogation. Or maybe not. just scan her brain and shoot her.