What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I recently saw "Buckaroo Banzai" - hadn't seen it in a LOOONG time. A quirky' date=' but very watchable movie. Some ideas I could use for a weird world Hero game / Pulp Hero Game.[/quote']

I dearly love that movie. It should be watched (when possible) as a double feature with "Big Trouble in Little China" because (A) they are both great Modern Pulp and (B) they were both written by W.D. Richter. © There is also some difficult to verify suggestion that Jack Burton was a Blue Blaze Irregular.

I dearly love that movie. It should be watched (when possible) as a double feature with "Big Trouble in Little China" because (A) they are both great Modern Pulp and (B) they were both written by W.D. Richter. © There is also some difficult to verify suggestion that Jack Burton was a Blue Blaze Irregular.

I believe that appears in the novel or some such. I also recall hearing about a link between the two.

I believe that appears in the novel or some such. I also recall hearing about a link between the two.

Here's the only story that I can verify. A guy wrote "Against the World Crime League" script in 1999 and put Burton in there as a Blue Blazer. Supposedly Richter said in a Starlog interview (that I can't find) that BtiLC was "essentially" the BB sequel. I think it's all just wishful thinking, but clearly, because of Richter's influence, the two films have a very similar feel.

Here's the only story that I can verify. A guy wrote "Against the World Crime League" script in 1999 and put Burton in there as a Blue Blazer. Supposedly Richter said in a Starlog interview (that I can't find) that BtiLC was "essentially" the BB sequel. I think it's all just wishful thinking' date=' but clearly, because of Richter's influence, the two films have a very similar feel.[/quote']

Hmm... that might be where I heard about it.

You do know that Jack Burton's in Normals Unbound, right?

Watched the original Gojira(1954) in preparation for a convention. Even if you're turned off by some of the fantastical elements and camp of the later films' date=' I think everyone owes it to themselves to see a subtitled copy of this film at least once. There's a reason this one is studied in film courses, folks.[/quote']

There is an early scene in a Tokyo commuter train where a young woman tells a fellow commuter that if she can survive the bombing of Hiroshima, she can survive Gojira.

Gojira is terrifying for the reasons the shark in Jaws is terrifying: it is powerful, inexplicable, cannot be reasoned with or intimidated, and carries the destructive force of nature itself in its wake. It is a living reminder of the limitations of human power and the ability of nature to humble, in devastating fashion, our proud species. It is a lesson that the Japanese have been forcibly taught many times, most recently at Sendai and Fukushima.

Just finished watching the second set of the BBC's Sherlock (set modern) with Cumberbatch and Freeman, 3 "movies" this time, 5 total AFAIK. Have really enjoyed that series and the "modified" stories Moffat and his people have put together. I have really liked that the stories were changed enough so I didn't know from the original how the story would play out. The variation on the Hound of the Baskerville and also the Final Solution was excellent, IMO. Moriarty is truly evil and insane, and Mycroft did turn out to be Sherlock's nemesis (as he stated in the very first episode), even if unintentionally. I also really enjoyed that John Watson was loyal, despite overwhelming evidence, and even a confession by Sherlock, to Holmes.

Well done, looking forward to more in the future.

What he said. How was it?

Very good. Danny DeVito is onstage almost throughout as one half of a vaudville double act who split 11 years previously having worked together for 43 years. Neither can now stand the other. The idea is to reunite for a TV special but they need to get past the mutual loathing first. Richard Griffiths is his ex-partner. Richard plays a Dursley in Harry Potter. I took my mother to see it as it was playing at the Savoy theatre which is right next to the Savoy hotel as she likes both actors.

Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance. Not too bad. I have seen worse.