What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Aw' date=' Cruddup. :( I liked the book . . .[/quote']

Well, for starters, they shifted the character from being British to American, and then apparently dumped all the Welsh mythology along the way. I presume keeping him British would have made him seem to much like Harry Potter, despite pre-dating Mr. Potter by about 20 years.

The Mist and then Gamera: Defender of the Universe.

How was The Mist? People who saw it and remember th eoriginal story were disgusted with it for several reasons, with the biggest being

the fact that the father kills his friends, and then his son, to spare them from death at the fangs of the mist monsters after escaping the beseiged supermarket store -- only to then discover that the Army was not only beating the mist back, they had already saved the supermarket. So he was driving away from safety.

I have to admit, it sounds like it blows major chunks if true.

How was The Mist? People who saw it and remember th eoriginal story were disgusted with it for several reasons' date=' with the biggest being

the fact that the father kills his friends, and then his son, to spare them from death at the fangs of the mist monsters after escaping the beseiged supermarket store -- only to then discover that the Army was not only beating the mist back, they had already saved the supermarket. So he was driving [i']away[/i] from safety.

I have to admit, it sounds like it blows major chunks if true.

Well, that's the way it goes.

But the Army is going too the market, not away. I liked it anyway, because I wasn't expecting the ending. I was thinking the Army (see in trailers) would simply find an empty truck.

Just saw Hitman last night.

A pretty decent action flick...nothing outstanding, but good solid performances by Timmothy Olyphant, Dougray Scott and Olga "I'm the smoking gun of Russian Hawtness" Kurylenko (sorry, she reminds me of this Greek girl I've had a crush on forever, only with the extra long leg optional upgrade).

My friend liked it better than Beowulf, in any event.

Well' date=' that's the way it goes.

But the Army is going [u']too[/u] the market, not away. I liked it anyway, because I wasn't expecting the ending. I was thinking the Army (see in trailers) would simply find an empty truck.

Okay, but I still despise those "O. Henry" type endings.

Me too. Big' date=' dumb and full of fun.[/quote']

I never watched the cartoon, so this was mostly new to me. And I laughed and found it rather cool. I might even buy the DVD, if I see it discounted somewhere.

Me too. I also liked the teenage comedy and the war subplot. The robots were good too.

Exactly why I really disliked the movie. The robots were good too.

It just annoys me to no end that the "Transformers" movie wasn't about the Transformers. It was about everyone and their mothers except the Transformers. It was about some nerdy hacker who liked to comically play DDR and added nothing to the movie. It was about some Australian researcher chick that didn't do much of anything. It was about some bizarre federal agents that didn't do much but talk about how "criminals are hot" and get urinated on by childhood heroes.

And what's with the awkward 10 minute masturbation conversation? Was that really necessary?

While I got used to their designs, and actually enjoyed the Transformers themselves (when they were on screen, that is), watching them do stuff was one of the more frustrating things I've had to do while watching movie. I'd bet that very few could watch the movie and actually tell you what was going on when more than one robot was on screen at a time. The fights were just random angles swinging around and an occasional rocket flying off.

I won't even address the product-placement-bots.

Sorry for the rant, but while I was a little too young to actually have seen the original Transformers in its first run, I did grow up with the repeats, and most especially, the Movie. I've seen all manner of terrible, terrible incarnations of some of my favorite characters over the years, but this gives them all a run for their money.

Damn Michael Bay for making a Transformers movie that could have had so much more greatness in it. It's like the X-Men 3 movie. Not a terrible movie in its own right, but the worst movie simply because it took an incredible story and put it on film, barring others from making a good version for a very long time.

/end rant

Death Proof -- It was... okay. The final chase is good' date=' but boy, QT sure loves the word f*** and all its variants. [i']Planet Terror[/i] had far more action and was far more fun.

Planet Terror was a much, much better movie, especially when comparing the extended cuts of the two films.

Death proof had about 40 minutes of good, entertaining film mixed in with a mass of really dull dialog and fetish scenes.

Planet Terror was a much, much better movie, especially when comparing the extended cuts of the two films.

Death proof had about 40 minutes of good, entertaining film mixed in with a mass of really dull dialog and fetish scenes.

Exactly!!!

I was wondering about all the extended dialog that seemed to do nothing but show that QT can write good dialog, but it honestly meant nothing to the greater scheme of the movie. It really needed (IMO) more Stuntman Mike sequences -- even if it was only him getting his car in position or some such.

Although I will admit, the killing half-way through took me by surprise, since I'd been trying to decide which one was going to be the "hero" and do Mike in.