What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I just recently started watching the reimagined Battlestar Galactica on Netflicks, for the first time. Id seen half the pilot and jumped to some pretty WRONG conclusions.

Im glad I was wrong.

Its much better than I thought it was going to be.

Just started Season 2

The Expendables 2 -- Not as good as The Expendables (mainly due to the obvious inclusion of too many call back jokes to the various actors, but still a fun ride. In addition, Jean Claude Van Damme was excellent as the bad guy.

I saw Up for the first time yesterday. It nearly had me in tears twice. The first ten minutes and then when he finds that the Adventure book has been filled in.

That first ten minutes got to me too. Had me close to weeping, it was that moving.

This I saw the first episode of Gerry Anderson's UFO on YouTube. Almost a surplus of eye candy in that show, with all the wacky technology people were using and the bizarre things it was assumed people would be wearing in 1980. There are storytelling issues, mainly that there are so many characters who do important things that we don't get to know or empathize with any of them.

Then there is the logical hole of having all this incredible cutting-edge stuff like a base on the moon and a fighter jet that was launched like a rocket from a submarine that is somehow completely secret from the general public. This despite the fact that it must have cost about ten percent of the GDP for the entire planet.

There's also a nice little visual dig at Doctor Who early in the episode.

Part of a Jackie Chan 8 pack.

Operation Condor involves the search for bullion in a desert.

Operation Condor 2: The Armor of God is about a satanic cult hiding out in a monastery trying to get a mystical armor together.

Twin Dragons is a remake of the Corsica Brothers with Jackie as a troublemaking mechanic and his twin, an orchestra conductor. Much confusion ensues

CES

Saw The Hobbit over the weekend. Enjoyed it quite a lot.

give this a read:

MY FATHER'S "EVISCERATED" WORK - SON OF HOBBIT SCRIBE J.R.R. TOLKIEN FINALLY SPEAKS OUT

Christopher Tolkien gave his first ever press interview with Le Monde, shedding light on his father's vision and sharing his own deep dismay with Hobbit director Peter Jackson

Rather quickly, however, the film's vision, conceived in New Zealand by well-known illustrators Alan Lee and John Howe, threatened to engulf the literary work. Their iconography inspires most of the video games and merchandising. Soon, by a contagious effect, the book itself became less of a source of inspiration for the authors of fantasy than the film, and then the games inspired by the film, and so on.

The frenzy pushed the Tolkien family's lawyers to take another look at their contract, which stipulated that the Tolkien Estate must receive a percentage of the profits if the films were profitable. With the incredible box office figures, the lawyers for the family shook the dust off the contract and demanded their share of the pie from New Line, the American producer of the films, who had bought the movie rights for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. And surprise! Cathleen Blackburn, lawyer for the Tolkien Estate in Oxford, recounts ironically, "These hugely popular films apparently did not make any profit! We were receiving statements saying that the producers did not owe the Tolkien Estate a dime."

Hollywood accounting at its worse.

give this a read:

MY FATHER'S "EVISCERATED" WORK - SON OF HOBBIT SCRIBE J.R.R. TOLKIEN FINALLY SPEAKS OUT

Christopher Tolkien gave his first ever press interview with Le Monde, shedding light on his father's vision and sharing his own deep dismay with Hobbit director Peter Jackson

Hollywood accounting at its worse.

Which is why you must specify what Profit you must get paid from. Gross or Net Profit. One allows for Hollywood to claim no profit due to "expenses" the other you become one of the expenses and actually get paid.

Sahara. Penelope Cruz is smoky and serious, Matthew McConaughey is buff and action-packed, and Steve Zahn never fails to entertain me. A good supporting cast and a decent script, overall not a bad action flick.