Who would play this? "Car Hero"

Erkenfresh

I was thinking of campaign ideas and one interesting thought was "Car Hero". It's a post-apocalyptic setting of some sort where combat is mainly handled with cars, since they would be the handiest way to get around in a post-nuclear wasteland. There's plenty of opposing factions, with the possibility of mutants, aliens, or even subterranian monsters to spice things up.

There'd have to be a lot of rules tailored to vehicular combat which would make The Ultimate Vehicle an essential source book. I figure you could go into great detail about the guns, so Dark Champions might help out a bit.

Vehicle types could range from sedans, sports cars, motorcycles, armored vans, or semis each with their unique advantages and disadvantages. Motorcycles would be fast but lightly armored, for example.

I figure the idea of turn mode should be greatly expanded to make a vehicle's handling ability matter. Arc of fire could be altered some to create rotating turrets. OCV penalties for fast moving targets should be implemented. Etc. There's plenty of deviations from the main rules that would really help enhance the combat.

Aside from all this car combat, there's still plenty to do once you step out of the driver's seat. Gambling, drinking, bar fights, gun fights in dark alleys, and even political intrigue as you attempt to unite factions to bring peace back to the world.

So, would you play this? Sounds pretty neat to me, I'd certainly play it. Any ideas on how to expand on this are also greatly appreciated. Discuss. :)

Re: Who would play this? "Car Hero"

Autoduel Champions was a collaboration between the original owners back in the day-day and Warren Spector, who created the original Autoduel and was behind the Apple IIe Autoduel Videogame (which was well ahead of its time). It's literally what you're describing.

Yes, a f-ck load of people will play that game, even today.

I would just play Car Wars, or Gurps Autoduel. I love Hero for charater-centric settings, but when vehicles start playing a central role I start looking for other systems to do it with. The old hero vehicle rules were better, but I haven't seen the rules used in Champions Autoduel. We ran a "fantasy autoduel" game with GUPRS a long time ago - basically a world that had a shadowrun type awakening when a global nuclear war erupted. Road Warrior - with magic and fantasy races and monsters. :ugly:

My first thought on reading the title was the movie "Cars" by Pixar. The PCs are cars, and have to accomplish various car-related tasks and adventures.

I'd play that.

P. S. I have Autoduel, and it's really rule heavy and old-school. Really rule-heavy and old-school. An updated, lighter version would be great, but I'm not sure that the HERO system vehicle rules are up to the task. New paradigm, anyone?

I would just play Car Wars' date=' or Gurps Autoduel. I love Hero for charater-centric settings, but when vehicles start playing a central role I start looking for other systems to do it with. The old hero vehicle rules were better, but I haven't seen the rules used in Champions Autoduel. [/quote']

It was essentially the Car Wars build system translated into metric, with the movement and combat system translated into the earlier vehicle rules from Champions II and the weapons given Hero System weapon stats.

We ran a "fantasy autoduel" game with GUPRS a long time ago - basically a world that had a shadowrun type awakening when a global nuclear war erupted. Road Warrior - with magic and fantasy races and monsters. :ugly:

I once tried to do something like that. NEver got anywhere with it though.

I picked up a copy of The Ultimate Vehicle but haven't started reading it yet. I have to agree that the basic rules of vehicle combat in HERO, well, let's be honest, they suck. The last starship combat I ran was quite boring, considering that placement on the board seemed to have no effect on what was happening. But, I'm hoping TUV will have some interesting things to offer.

While I consider starting to read through TUV, I may post some ideas and questions from time to time. What would make vehicle combat more interesting? I'm considering buying some hot wheels that they could "drive" around on the battle mat with. Limited arcs of fire and dropped weapons should make placement on the board more important. Special care for acceleration, deceleration, and handling of vehicles would be good too. Performing stunts might increase combat bonuses. Etc.

I read quite a bit into TUV and it's definitely adding some good ideas for the whole thing. Maybe I'll type up a brief overview of campaign rules and post it. What's the appropriate forum for this anyway? (Fantasy Hero?) :smile:

There have been several old threads dedicated to discussing the current iteration of the HERO vehicle rules and how to de-suck them. It can be done with tricky use of the current rules, but takes a fair bit of creativity and non traditional thinking.

For my part I wish I knew where my copy of Champions 2 is hiding. That was the best basic set of vehicle rules we've seen for this system so far, IMO.

I thought of something earlier to add some spice to the campaign idea. What if the cause of the "apocalypse" was zombies overtaking the world? The ones who survived lived out in rural areas but managed to cluster together for protection into small towns. Too many themes at once? :)

Er, I dunno Erkel. Cross post it to here and, well, soon enough we'll have a Post Apocalyptic forum, although I would have rather had my choices boiled down; for instance. Steve is going to do PAH. I would have rather seen CPH, but I voted for Victorian Age/Steampunk HERO, which would have filled a similar purpose to Cyber Punk HERO, but with a more interesting timeline.

I'm not excited about Post Apocalypse HERO, because dystopia isn't interesting to me right now. :sick:

I thought of something earlier to add some spice to the campaign idea. What if the cause of the "apocalypse" was zombies overtaking the world? The ones who survived lived out in rural areas but managed to cluster together for protection into small towns. Too many themes at once? :)

In that case you'll probably want to read Twilight of the Dead for much HERO zombie goodness.

Heck, who wouldn't love autoduel plus zombies? They were practically made for each other!

I offer one ready-to-use NPC:

"... but most of all, I remember the man they called Max. The Road Warrior."

"MAD" MAX ROCKATANSKY

(a.k.a. "The Raggedy Man")

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
15	STR	5	12-	Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [3]
17	DEX	21	12-	OCV:  6/DCV:  6
15	CON	10	12-
13	BODY	6	12-
14	INT	4	12-	PER Roll 13-
14	EGO	8	12-	ECV:  5
18	PRE	8	13-	PRE Attack:  3 1/2d6
12	COM	1	11-

6	PD	3		Total:  6 PD (0 rPD)
4	ED	1		Total:  4 ED (0 rED)
4	SPD	13		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
6	REC	0
30	END	0
30	STUN	1	[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  81

Movement:[/b]	Running:	5"/10"
Leaping:	1.5"/3"
Swimming:	1"/2"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
-2	[b]Bad Leg:[/b]  Running -1" (5" total)
-1	[b]Bad Leg:[/b]  Swimming -1" (1" total)
3	[b]Wary:[/b]  +1 PER with all Sense Groups

[b]Perks[/b]
0	[b]The Last Of The V8 Interceptors:[/b]  Vehicle

[b]Talents[/b]
3	[b]"Never Seen A Man Beat A Snake Before":[/b]  Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with 
All Actions

[b]Skills[/b]
8	+1 with All Combat
3	+1 with Firearms

3	AK: The Outback 12-
2	Animal Handler (Canines) 13-
0	Climbing 8-
7	[b]"I'll Drive That Tanker.":[/b]  Combat Driving 14-
0	Concealment 8-
0	Conversation 8-
0	Deduction 8-
3	[b]"Touch Those Tanks And BOOM.":[/b]  Electronics 12-
3	[b]"A Fellah, A QUICK fellah, Might Have A Weapon Under There."[/b]:  Fast Draw (Small 
Arms) 12-
4	[b]"Two Days Ago, I Saw A Vehicle That Would Haul That Tanker.":[/b]  KS: Motor 
Vehicles 13-
0	Language:  English (idiomatic; literate)
3	Lockpicking 12-
5	[b]"I'm Gonna Need Five Gallons Of Deisel And Some High-Octane Fuel.":[/b]  Mechanics 13-
0	Paramedics 8-
0	PS: Main Force Patrol Officer 8-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 12-
2	Survival (Desert) 12-
2	TF:  Common Motorized Ground Vehicles
3	WF:  Small Arms, Knife
[b]54	Total Powers & Skills Cost
135	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Distinctive Features:  Leg Brace and Limp (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; 
Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5	Physical Limitation:  Bad/Lamed Right Leg (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
0	Physical Limitation:  Reduced Leap, can only leap half as far as STR indicates 
(Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Apathetic And A Loner (a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate 
man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the 
wasteland) (Very Common, Moderate)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Keeps His Word (Common, Strong)
0	Psychological Limitation:  Protective Of Women And Children (Common, Strong)
20	[b]Road Warrior Bonus
135	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Background/History:

Max Rockatansky is the central character of George Miller's Mad Max trilogy (Mad Max, Mad Max II a.k.a. The Road Warrior and Mad Max III: Beyond Thunderdome). Starring Mel Gibson, the first two movies were highly responsible for his rise into international film stardom. Personally, I think the opening chase scene from Mad Max is one of the best ever, while The Road Warrior still ranks as the best car chase film of all time (although Ronin gives it a run for the money).

Max is a former highway patrol officer, a member of what was known as the MFP, or "Main Force Patrol." After his wife and young son were killed by bikers, he wandered out into the waste of the Australian Outback, where, according to the opening narration from The Road Warrior, "... he learned to live again."

Max's world is an unfriendly place, devastated by a global war that has reduced humanity to small pockets of desperate survivors. Preying upon these people are large smash-and-grab gangs, who pillage settlements for whatever they want and move on. Not exactly the typical superheroic setting, but it could make for a good cross-dimensional adventure.

Personality/Motivation:

Severely burned out by his experiences in the MFP, Max is a loner, only concerned with himself, his car and Dog. He might help someone in distress, but only if he thinks he can gain something from it. Having been married, he still feels protective of small children and women. He also has a sense of honor and will keep his word if he gives it.

Quote: "Two days ago I saw a vehicle big enough to haul that tanker. You want to get out of here, you talk to me."

Powers/Tactics:

Max is a pretty durable fellow, surviving a gunshot wound to his leg, rolling his Black on Black down a slope, and a head on collision with another vehicle while driving a tractor trailer. His rather decent Con and Body scores are meant to reflect that. Max is also a relatively quick fellow. As the Gyrocaptain put it: "Never seen a man beat a snake before. Reflexes. That's what you got, reflexes. Me, I've got brains." Since the Hero Bestiary gave a DEX of 14 under the entry for venomous snakes, I figured a 17 sounded about right.

His other skills are rather self-explanatory, being the sort of things one would have to know in order to survive alone in the Outback. If you want to use the younger, MFP version of Max, remove the AK and Survival skills and replace them the appropriate law enforcement skills.

Max's Car:

Max patrol cruiser, aka "The Black on Black" is a 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe, with a Concorde front end body accessory, and a supercharger thrust up through the hood (which is only a prop and doesn't actually work). It is a powerful muscle car, the "Last of the V-8 Interceptors. A real piece of history this one," having an output of about 600hp. Heavily modified in the time between Mad Max and The Road Warrior, it has a pair of large fuel tanks mounted on the back of the car, a roll cage and a seat mounted in the passenger's side door that is used by Dog, Max's pet dog. The vehicle is booby trapped, with an explosive device attached to the rear fuel tanks. Open the cap without disengaging the switch and BOOM!

Appearance:

Max is of average height, with a strong, lean build, short dark hair and several days worth of stubble. He dresses in black driving "leathers", consisting of a heavy jacket, pants and boots. His outfit has a DEF of 2 (0 DEF versus Guns and Falling Damage). On his belt, he has a double-barreled sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip (probably .410 gauge). He also carries a pair of binoculars, a few tools (such as crescent wrench) and a short knife. The shotgun is usually empty, since shells are scare in the wasteland.

Designer's Notes:

The name of "Rockatansky" is given in the movie Mad Max. 'The Raggedy Man' is what Tina Turner calls him in Mad Max III.

Max was shot through the right knee in Mad Max, permanently damaging his leg. He walks with a limp and wears a supportive brace on his leg. Due to the dusty conditions of the Outback, this brace tends to squeak, usually when Max is trying to be quiet. Max's bad leg also hampers his running and certainly keeps him from throwing any kicks.

(Mad Max created by George Miller, character sheet written by Michael Surbrook. Character sheet dedicated to Jeff Muller)

"Touch Those Tanks And BOOM.": Electronics 12-

Wouldn't this be Demolitions?

It's an electrical fuse tripped by opening the tank cap without throwing the safety switch. Demo indicates you can work with explosives, here, Max simply rigged the tanks.

It's an electrical fuse tripped by opening the tank cap without throwing the safety switch. Demo indicates you can work with explosives' date=' here, Max simply rigged the tanks.[/quote']

Modern demolitions is a unique and tricky discipline that includes a limited subset of electronical engineering skills. While it primarily deals with explosives, demolitions courses (federal and military) specifically deal with how to set and/or disarm these kinds of booby-traps, as well as the use of common electical ingition devices. Further, large tanks of feul, when booby-trapped, are jury-rigged explosive devices. While a bright person with the electronics skill could cook something like this up, I still think demolitions is more appropriate, partially because we don't see max doing anything else with electrinics in the movies. He's not an electrician. He's an ex-cop who booby-trapped his car.