The Interogation Skill as a "Lab"

Wormhole

I'm building a base for one of my characters and bought the Interrogation Skill (on a roll of 11-) as a Lab I've decided to define as the "Interview Road." The question is, besides the kind of equipment that would have to be defined as powers (and thus paid for seperately), what all could I say is in there?

Re: The Interogation Skill as a "Lab"

For slightly less medieval equipment you should probably have stuff that put psychological pressure on the subject: A nice, uncomfortable chair, bright lights to annoy/blind the subject, bare stark walls with perhaps a mirror behind the interrogator(s), a sound system, etc. Generally the stuff to make the subject sweat. You might think about things such as a polygraph. Of course without special training the polygraph would not be of much use, but then the subject may not know that.

If you want to be a little more serious about it you could put restraints on that chair. Put a highly visible drain in the middle of the floor and a faucet with hose for cleaning out the room (great psychological effect if the subject fears it will be needed). Various pieces of medical equipment could do a lot toward setting up the proper atmosphere.

All of the above can be done without ever having to get the interrogators hands dirty. If you are willing to inflict actual pain then the sky is the limit.

The 'lab' would really be two rooms - the containment facility, in which you would control all stimulation that reaches the target, and the prep lab, containing all the necessary equipment to both study and affect the victim. This includes, but is not limited too:

- Thermal cameras as part of a polygraph/attitude system

- Good old sodium pentathol (best use in a film ever: True Lies)

- Binders/restraints

- Plenty of food & water (if you're going for a full psychological breakdown, first you need to complete unwind the target's grip on reality, then start to build him back up again, i.e., you can be saved if you help us, that sort of thing. Takes weeks to months and isn't reliable, though).

McCoy is correct, though - you want someone to talk instantly just break the Geneva Convention and waterboard the poor bastard. He'll be blabbering in an instant.

I'm building a base for one of my characters and bought the Interrogation Skill (on a roll of 11-) as a Lab I've decided to define as the "Interview Road." The question is' date=' besides the kind of equipment that would have to be defined as powers (and thus paid for seperately), what all could I say is in there?[/quote']

Modern day stuff includes a single table and two chairs and a lamp. No windows, white walls and a single door with a frosted glass. A large mirror on one wall could be appropriate, positioned to face the side of interrogatee.

For a darker world, include a straps, cuffs or other restraints on one of the chairs; blood stains on the floor surrounding the chair, and possibly the table, but keep them subtle. It shouldn't be obvious they are blood stains, but still suggest the room has seen violence, and apparently only near the chair. Speakers broadcast static and the interrogators have a team of investigators behind the one way mirror feeding them information through hidden radios so they appear omniscient before their victim. The occasional sounds of screams of tortured agony should occasionally be heard over the static, but only at dramatic moments.

Back on topic...

You can have anything you want in the room. The "stuff" is just a Special Effect, and as such is completely up to you. The Game Effect is locked in by what you pay points for - in your case an 11- Complimentary Skill Roll for Interrogation.

Anything else is color, and with HERO you can paint with all the colors you want.

My recommendation is to match the 'stuff' in the room with the overall concept of the persons who will be using the room.

Peace,

-keith

My recommendation is to match the 'stuff' in the room with the overall concept of the persons who will be using the room.

It should also match the Skill Roll of the Lab. An 8- roll probably shouldn't have the best and latest in scary/effective interrogation equipment, and a 14- shouldn't be mistaken for a day spa.

I'm building a base for one of my characters and bought the Interrogation Skill (on a roll of 11-) as a Lab I've decided to define as the "Interview Road." The question is' date=' besides the kind of equipment that would have to be defined as powers (and thus paid for seperately), what all could I say is in there?[/quote']

Well, given what Interrogation REALLY is(at least very often):

Any kind of torture equipment you can think of

A table and chairs

A spotlight(for shining in a suspect's eyes)

Not much else. It's a lab. So it has basic furniture and the stuff you need to perfrom the skill.