VILLAINS, VANDALS, AND VERMIN -- What Would *You* Like To See?

Steve Long

Re: VILLAINS, VANDALS, AND VERMIN -- What Would *You* Like To See?

Re: Humorous villains for lighter campaigns.

This just occurred to me about an hour ago: maybe the "Campaign Use" section for each character can include options for how to make the character lighter or comical, as well as how to make him darker. Changes in Powers, Disadvantages, and so forth can often do the trick.

(And a side note on comedy: sometimes comedy isn't just about how incompetent someone is, but how incredibly over-competent he is. Take Lord Bowler's tracking skill on The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr., or Agent 0's disguise skill on the revived Get Smart with Andy Dick as good examples of this.)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just occurred to me about an hour ago: maybe the "Campaign Use" section for each character can include options for how to make the character lighter or comical, as well as how to make him darker. Changes in Powers, Disadvantages, and so forth can often do the trick.

(And a side note on comedy: sometimes comedy isn't just about how incompetent someone is, but how incredibly over-competent he is. Take Lord Bowler's tracking skill on The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr., or Agent 0's disguise skill on the revived Get Smart with Andy Dick as good examples of this.)

wait...revived Get Smart? Cool!

...wait...Andy Dick?

Aw #)(%)#%@&)%#&@#)$& no!

An alien/ space based suggestion

Star*Guard Fugitives: Not a group per-se but a number of alien bad guys who have been captured by the Star*Guard in the past, but escaped. They share background elements, but otherwise are antisocial loners.

Space Pirates: A band of star-borne pillaigers and plunderers with an ancient, salvaged Malvan scout-cruiser. The pirates are otherwise normal (except for being alien scum from across the galaxy, but have access to Malvan technologies which allow them to strike with overwhelming force, and get away.

Maybe a villain who's dedicated himself to rid the world of Mechanon and he doesn't care who gets in his way. His weapons are designed against machines and include magnetic and force attacks. Since Mechanon is tough to hit (for him) or perhaps for him to make sure he doesn't miss, he uses AoE attacks (including explosions). Perhaps he has electronic suppression which could interfere with Powered Armor types and Gadgeteers.

His theory is that the end justifies the means.

Legend says Jessie James shot a man in his sleep for snoring too loud.

It was neither Jesse James nor John Wesley Hardin, though both seem to have had the story grafted onto their histories. It was Clay Allison.

It was neither Jesse James nor John Wesley Hardin' date=' though both seem to have had the story grafted onto their histories. It was Clay Allison.[/quote']

Are you saying Time-Life books lied to me? Time to call the lawyer. :)

An alien/ space based suggestion

Star*Guard Fugitives: Not a group per-se but a number of alien bad guys who have been captured by the Star*Guard in the past, but escaped. They share background elements, but otherwise are antisocial loners.

Space Pirates: A band of star-borne pillaigers and plunderers with an ancient, salvaged Malvan scout-cruiser. The pirates are otherwise normal (except for being alien scum from across the galaxy, but have access to Malvan technologies which allow them to strike with overwhelming force, and get away.

Personally I think these would be excellent group ideas for Scourges Of The Galaxy.

Maybe a villain who's dedicated himself to rid the world of Mechanon and he doesn't care who gets in his way. His weapons are designed against machines and include magnetic and force attacks. Since Mechanon is tough to hit (for him) or perhaps for him to make sure he doesn't miss, he uses AoE attacks (including explosions). Perhaps he has electronic suppression which could interfere with Powered Armor types and Gadgeteers.

His theory is that the end justifies the means.

Or an extremely powerful being (alien or magical background) caught in a epic battle against "X" that has spanned a millennium (century, years). He/She has either fought the "enemy" themselves (be reborn, past the torch, new body, whatever) and has become totally dedicated to stopping "them" at all costs. While they are the Hero and consider themselves the defender of man, sometimes things happen. The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the few. Met one on one in the street he/she is the nicest person you have ever met, kind etc. In Super guise they will save the cat, put out the fire, stop the bank robber and general seem to be just your average power level good guy/gal.

But when "the enemy" appears, out come the stops and their true power is revealed. They should be on par with whichever major bad guy you want. Maybe even two superforms. One for each level of power invoked.

A Hero or Villain? After the first battle in public with "X", and they assessment of collateral damage, the press will most definitely brand he/she a villain.

Due South also used Frazer's uber-competence for laughs on more then one occassion. Super tracker, good fighter, excellent survival skills, near encycolpediac knowledge of damn near anything, makes Batman looks like a wuss, Benton Frazer was a bonafide superhero but being Canadian he was to modest to admit it. :D

Guest Goradin

I would like to see another villanous agency or some villains themed off the Nazis. Maybe the Fourth Reich, eh? How about a Red Skull or Hate Monger villain or a clone of you know who? Maybe with a polar base or the like settled in the gateway to Agartha in the North Pole or Thule. Both DC and Marvel have nice villains themed along these lines.

I'd like to see a master Vampire villain call him Vlad, or the like. I am sure you know who I'd like to see and he once took on the X-men. Thing is I would base him on Saberhagen's and he is not evil per se but simply trying to survive.

Some more stellar or Galactic threats are definitely in order. I really like Darkseid and would love to see a villain along those lines.

How about a general villain? You know an Army commander to hammer people with when they get out of line. Maybe he has his hand in some rogue arms deals or science too. This is a classic of the comics.

Mordace would suit the Starguard rogue. I have him from Digital Hero but I too like the Green Lantern Corps which they are based upon.

How about a Belasco type villain? I think most of our players are mature enough to handle it. Or a trickster god. I once threw Loki at my players and they loved it. Maybe a son the Dragon who is meddlesome in the affairs of men.

I still think we need our Terrorist Villain.

I would like to see another villanous agency or some villains themed off the Nazis. Maybe the Fourth Reich' date=' eh? How about a Red Skull or Hate Monger villain or a clone of you know who?[/quote']And we could call him Histler. :winkgrin: Actually, a Nazi master villain wouldn't be too bad, especially if he's a normal. This could be someone to help further Panzer's (CWW) goal(s).

Some more stellar or Galactic threats are definitely in order. I really like Darkseid and would love to see a villain along those lines.
I definitely like Darkseid myself. Though' date=' I think his presence would be more akin to [i']Galactic Champions[/i] than just Champions. But who knows? Maybe both?

I definitely like Darkseid myself. Though, I think his presence would be more akin to Galactic Champions than just Champions. But who knows? Maybe both?

I would say both ... After all, Darkseid has been a pain for both modern heroes and Legionnaires ;) While we're looking at cosmic characters, I highly recommend Marvel's "Annihlation" mini for some great ideas :)

I'd like to see a master Vampire villain call him Vlad, or the like. I am sure you know who I'd like to see and he once took on the X-men. Thing is I would base him on Saberhagen's and he is not evil per se but simply trying to survive.

I still think we need our Terrorist Villain.

Like Brother Nightroad from Trinity Blood maybe?

A terrorist villain is a good call, but that could be anything. Any solo can be tweeked into a terrorist. JMO of course ;)

I definitely like Darkseid myself. Though' date=' I think his presence would be more akin to [i']Galactic Champions[/i] than just Champions. But who knows? Maybe both?

Definitely both. Let's face it, he first appeared in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen.

He's the ultimate behind the scenes villain, in many ways. While he will engage in direct invasions, he is also likely to be behind outfits like Intergang and the Evil Factory.

You can run whole campaigns around around a villain like this. Maybe throw in a Lex Luthor type to give him some competition.

You can run whole campaigns around around a villain like this. Maybe throw in a Lex Luthor type to give him some competition.

Or as a pawn. Perhaps he's holding a promise of power for the Luthor-like character ;)

Although he isn't an actual god, or an alien/cosmic being... in terms of his power, his resources, and the worship and fear he inspires in his followers, IMHO Dr. Destroyer is the Darkseid analogue in the Champions Universe.

Although he isn't an actual god' date=' or an alien/cosmic being... in terms of his power, his resources, and the worship and fear he inspires in his followers, IMHO Dr. Destroyer is the Darkseid analogue in the Champions Universe.[/quote']I always pegged him as a Dr. Doom analog with Casual & Capricious Killer (Total).

TB

Or as a pawn. Perhaps he's holding a promise of power for the Luthor-like character ;)

I would have both. A Morgan Edge type pawn and a Luthor type competitor.

Having three sides rather than two gives you more potential story lines.

...IMHO Dr. Destroyer is the Darkseid analogue in the Champions Universe.
:eek: Don't say such things! :no: Hold your tongue you faceless, um, face! :tsk: Do not soil the image of Darkseid with Dr. D. :cry:

Though, I always thought he was more Doom-like. :D YMMV.

Although he isn't an actual god' date=' or an alien/cosmic being... in terms of his power, his resources, and the worship and fear he inspires in his followers, IMHO Dr. Destroyer is the Darkseid analogue in the Champions Universe.[/quote']

No, no, he isn't. His power isn't even close, his resource base is inferior to Doom's when he actually cares to assemble armies, and as for worship. . .

:slap: