When you hear Urban Fantasy...

Steve

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: When you hear Urban Fantasy...

Here's one that no one has mentioned yet: the movie Dogma. I didn't say it was a good movie, but it's in the genre at least as much as some of the others mentioned.

And I still insist that "urban" means "pertaining to a city, or cities." It doesn't mean "taking place in modern times." "Urban Fantasy" is a poorly-coined term and it annoys me when people use the wrong words for things. :thumbdown

Here's one that no one has mentioned yet: the movie Dogma. I didn't say it was a good movie, but it's in the genre at least as much as some of the others mentioned.

And I still insist that "urban" means "pertaining to a city, or cities." It doesn't mean "taking place in modern times." "Urban Fantasy" is a poorly-coined term and it annoys me when people use the wrong words for things. :thumbdown

Like, say, "Champions" when they mean "Hero System"

I think of three novels in quick succession:

'The Gnole' by Alan Aldridge

Fritz Leiber's novel 'Conjure Wife'

Mark Helprin's novel 'Winter's Tale'

The tag Urban Fantasy can apply to almost anything with an element of the fantastic. One of my fave comedy-horror novels, Needful Things, could easily fit the bill.

There was a short-lived series on USA, briefly revived on the Sci-Fi Channel, called G vs E, about working stiff-style agents of heaven fighting against, unsurprisingly, the forces of darkness in sunny Los Angeles, California. It was light, action-y fare with a sense of humor, and kind of a sort of urban fantasy.

Oh - and the reason Urban and Modern cross so much with the term Urban Fantasy is because the idea of Urban = Modern has become pervasive since the advent of the industrial revolution.

Which also tips towards Teflon Billy's dislike with the idea of the Fantastic hidden amongst the Mundane and not simply a part of it. As society crossed into large metropolises become the norm for Urban (as we moved on into the 20th century former urban centers of less than 10,000 became merely towns and thought of as Rural) and the rise of Science the idea of the fantastic became mere story.

There's a whole subtext in a lot of Urban Fantasy stories (I'm talking mostly literature as that's what I'm most familiar with) that mankind somehow left something behind (magic simply being the most visual aspect of that) when society evolved to become Urban based instead of Rural Based.

And much of Urban Fantasy deals with that idea that the "magic" is still there, just below the surface, but most people can't or won't see it anymore. It's almost a "it was better back then" kind of mood.

Oh - and the reason Urban and Modern cross so much with the term Urban Fantasy is because the idea of Urban = Modern has become pervasive since the advent of the industrial revolution.

Which also tips towards Teflon Billy's dislike with the idea of the Fantastic hidden amongst the Mundane and not simply a part of it. As society crossed into large metropolises become the norm for Urban (as we moved on into the 20th century former urban centers of less than 10,000 became merely towns and thought of as Rural) and the rise of Science the idea of the fantastic became mere story.

There's a whole subtext in a lot of Urban Fantasy stories (I'm talking mostly literature as that's what I'm most familiar with) that mankind somehow left something behind (magic simply being the most visual aspect of that) when society evolved to become Urban based instead of Rural Based.

And much of Urban Fantasy deals with that idea that the "magic" is still there, just below the surface, but most people can't or won't see it anymore. It's almost a "it was better back then" kind of mood.

Which is what I hate.

I'd like to see a role playing treatment of a world where Magic has always been there, maybe it's different in the manner of it's use, but it exists and it is openly used.

TB

Which is what I hate.

I'd like to see a role playing treatment of a world where Magic has always been there, maybe it's different in the manner of it's use, but it exists and it is openly used.

TB

I agree - any book covering Urban Fantasy should dedicate at least part of itself to known magic. It's there, everyone knows at least of it's existance.

Pervasive ideas are not necessarily correct ideas, as in this case. If they mean "modern," then why not call it, "modern"?

I've also heard the word "urban" used to mean "black," or if you prefer, "African-American." There's a "Chicken Soup for the Urban Soul" book out for black people. What if they live in the country?

How about movies like Mary Poppins and its ilk - fantasy elements, modern setting, in a city. I guess that counts too, right?

Pervasive ideas are not necessarily correct ideas, as in this case. If they mean "modern," then why not call it, "modern"?

I've also heard the word "urban" used to mean "black," or if you prefer, "African-American." There's a "Chicken Soup for the Urban Soul" book out for black people. What if they live in the country?

How about movies like Mary Poppins and its ilk - fantasy elements, modern setting, in a city. I guess that counts too, right?

I won't disagree with a word you've said. "Urban" has almost gotten to the point where it has enough different meanings that it's a useless descriptor.

Has anyone tried out that Underworld rpg? It's supposed to be based heavily on Neverwhere, with bits of Beauty and the Beast and some other stuff thrown in for good measure.

I had read about this years ago, and after I started reading Neverwhere recently, I was reminded of it. Sounds interesting, and the pdf is only $10...

If anyone has any good reviews I might pick it up.

Has anyone tried out that Underworld rpg? It's supposed to be based heavily on Neverwhere, with bits of Beauty and the Beast and some other stuff thrown in for good measure.

I had read about this years ago, and after I started reading Neverwhere recently, I was reminded of it. Sounds interesting, and the pdf is only $10...

If anyone has any good reviews I might pick it up.

If you're talking about the one by Gareth-Michael Skara, there are several on RPG.Net:

One ~/~ Two ~/~ Three ~/~ Four ~/~ Five

So take it up with whoever came up with the term. Don't shoot the messenger.

Which is what I hate.

TB

Then try a book that hasn't been mentioned so far: "Metropolitan" by Walter Jon Williams details a science fiction world where magic is the centre of all power politics - basically, the idea is that if you can control "Plasm" - magical force generated by what's essentially feng shui, you control political power. It's a good gritty, politics, revolution and magic story. There's a sequel, but it's not as good.

cheers, Mark

Seriously, before this came up on the Hero boards in the "What should our next big release be?" thread, my reaction to the term Urban Fantasy was "WTF?" I think the may be a least some small part of the gaming community who have been out of the SF/F loop.

Urban Fantasy might be fine for a title, but the front cover picture should be very evocative of the genre, and the back cover copy should describe exactly what's going on. Try not to use buzz words, tell it in plain language.

And a bibliography inside would help immensely.

Steve: I know you don't do videogames, but please check into these for the book, if indeed this book is the one you pick. It's a major subgenre, especially in Japan (the people who brought you Parasite Eve 1 & 2 as well).

While we're on the topic of Japanese Urban Fantasy, please watch Gilgamesh and KARAS -- here are links to the disc for purchasing Gilgamesh (7 discs) or KARAS. You can also search here on the boards for one of my first written reviews. I myself am a HUGE fan of KARAS; I consider it one of the best anime done in the last 10 years, at least, and the story, while not "original" is certainly freshly presented.

So. Japanese Urban Fantasy/Horror definitely needs its place in the text; these are just a few examples, I can probably come up with many more if I think about it.

Bewitched is pretty much the archetype for Suburban Fantasy' date=' I would imagine. It is also the forerunner by several decades of the anime genre called "Magical Girlfriend" stories. Anime has a lot of Urban (and Suburban) Fantasy stories. I'd include [i']Devil Hunter Yohko[/i], Hell Girl (aka Jigoku Shojo) and even Ranma 1/2 as types of Urban Fantasy stories from anime.

Don't forget "Witch Hunter Robin", "Aquarian Age", "E's Otherwise" and "Bleach". They fit into the Urban Fantasy mold.

The only "hates" or really strong dislike I have is when dandelion eaters, neck munchers or flea bags are a central part of the world view. Cropping up once in a while as a disposable plot item is fine. As a key long term story element, no.