Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Just entering my $.02 (Think I am at about $.32 on these forums :) )

Note most of these I think you already have covered.

1. Definition of an apocalypse campaign

1. Is there a government
    2. Role of Tech
    3. Role of Magic
    4. Role of Psionics
    5. Power levels

[*]Types of apocalyse settings

1. Nuclear - We bomb each other
  2. Biological - We throw anthrax at each other
  3. Chemical - We cover the world in toxins whether war inflicted or pollution
  4. Alien attack - Aliens attack
  5. Superhero/Villain war - High powered supers go at it
  6. Machine war - The machines rebel
  7. Magical/Religious - The second coming
  8. Self inflicted decadence/decline - We get so lazy and decadent that things fall apart
  9. Dying world - sun going superhot, sun going out, world stops spinning
  10. Overlapping - Due to our laziness/decadence making us a target, nations have to bomb invading aliens adding nuclear and biological terrors to the pollution of a dying world while our machines rebel against us and follow the leadership of the false prophet in the Second Coming.

[*]Equipment lists and net worths

1. Money/Barter
  2. Wealth perk
  3. Sample weapons and equipment
  4. Figuring value of items
  5. Kitbashing or how to make the Mad Max dune buggies
  6. Kitbashed items and value

[*]Beastiary

1. Sample Beastiary for Nuclear
  2. Sample Beastiary for Biological
  3. Sample Beastiary for Magical
  4. Sample Beastiary for Mechanical
  5. Sample Agents for use
  6. Sample modes of transportation

[*]Random mutation generator for characters and creatures

[*]A couple of sample campaigns at varying power levels

1. Low power
  2. Mid power
  3. High Power

Just entering my $.02 (Think I am at about $.32 on these forums :) )

Note most of these I think you already have covered.

1. Definition of an apocalypse campaign

1. Is there a government
    2. Role of Tech
    3. Role of Magic
    4. Role of Psionics
    5. Power levels

[*]Types of apocalyse settings

1. Nuclear - We bomb each other
  2. Biological - We throw anthrax at each other
  3. Chemical - We cover the world in toxins whether war inflicted or pollution
  4. Alien attack - Aliens attack
  5. Superhero/Villain war - High powered supers go at it
  6. Machine war - The machines rebel
  7. Magical/Religious - The second coming
  8. Self inflicted decadence/decline - We get so lazy and decadent that things fall apart
  9. Dying world - sun going superhot, sun going out, world stops spinning
  10. Overlapping - Due to our laziness/decadence making us a target, nations have to bomb invading aliens adding nuclear and biological terrors to the pollution of a dying world while our machines rebel against us and follow the leadership of the false prophet in the Second Coming.

[*]Equipment lists and net worths

1. Money/Barter
  2. Wealth perk
  3. Sample weapons and equipment
  4. Figuring value of items
  5. Kitbashing or how to make the Mad Max dune buggies
  6. Kitbashed items and value

[*]Beastiary

1. Sample Beastiary for Nuclear
  2. Sample Beastiary for Biological
  3. Sample Beastiary for Magical
  4. Sample Beastiary for Mechanical
  5. Sample Agents for use
  6. Sample modes of transportation

[*]Random mutation generator for characters and creatures

[*]A couple of sample campaigns at varying power levels

1. Low power
  2. Mid power
  3. High Power

Under "Types of apocalyse settings" > "Dying world" you also need a "9a" subcatagory: Ecological/Environmental Colapse

I'm Hoping it will contain information on firearms light setting such as foreign countries. Japan comes to mind along with england and some others. The idea came to mind when i was thinking about Fist of the North Star. I guess that would be superpowered Martial arts Post Apocaclypse.

I'm Hoping it will contain information on firearms light setting such as foreign countries. Japan comes to mind along with england and some others. The idea came to mind when i was thinking about Fist of the North Star. I guess that would be superpowered Martial arts Post Apocaclypse.

In a post-apoc version of a country with strict firearms laws, people will end up doing more hand-to-hand fighting, getting down and dirty with knives and clubs.

Barbarians.

In a post-apoc version of a country with strict firearms laws, people will end up doing more hand-to-hand fighting, getting down and dirty with knives and clubs.

Maybe in the immediate/short term. Any longer than that and what happens is that those who have access to the armories, police stations, and whatever other sources of firearms there are will get ahold of them and become warlords. Japan, for instance, has had a long history of denying weapons to the average person. I'd expect post-apocalyptic Japan to look not much different from its medieval period -- feudal with strong class distinctions and no upward mobility.

Maybe in the immediate/short term. Any longer than that and what happens is that those who have access to the armories' date=' police stations, and whatever other sources of firearms there are will get ahold of them and become warlords. Japan, for instance, has had a long history of denying weapons to the average person. I'd expect post-apocalyptic Japan to look not much different from its medieval period -- feudal with strong class distinctions and no upward mobility.[/quote']Just a note: Pre-Tokugawa shogunate Japan had some social mobility -- Toyotomi Hideyoshi comes to mind, going from a peasant birth to Japan's strong man, and shogun in all but name.

Since the book's almost done from my perspective, I am de-sticking this thread, but feel free to continue discussing the topic if you like, or asking questions about the book. ;)

I'm Hoping it will contain information on firearms light setting such as foreign countries.

It doesn't, but I doubt there's a competent GM out there that can't handle that himself. ;)

I was going to write an article on Survival Horror Hero, but I was told I have to wait until you're done.

Probably the safest course of action. :eep:

I was watching a crappy pseudo-post-apoc movie today (Mindwarp starring Bruce Campbell) and all the ice and cold reminded me of something perhaps worthy of a sidebar if nothing else:

Chemical weapons tend to break down within a few days or weeks when exposed to the elements (heat, rain, sunlight), but they freeze well. In a nuclear winter, or a glacier, or an arctic area, there might be sarin-contaminated snow that continues to sicken or kill the unwary for years afterward.

Barbarians.

"I don't know what weapons the third world war will be fought with. But the fourth will be fought with rocks." -Albert Einstein

I'm starting to really dislike that quote. First of all, within the first five minutes of hearing it, I realized that a stone age culture wouldn't have the societal structure required to support anything that could be called a world war.

Then too, of late, a good argument has been made that the Cold War was in fact WWIII, and another equally good argument that resistance to Islamism will constitute WWIV.

And lastly, not a single rock was used in The Road Warrior, and rocks have been by far the least used weapon in any post-apoc movie or book I've been exposed to, falling behind even fists and teeth.

That Einstein guy thinks he's so smart.

Will we get a nice bibliography of "post aopcalypse fiction and movies" ? Even scholarly overviews such as one of the books that is on the shelf next to my computer "Nuclear Holocausts " Atomic War in Fiction, 1895-1984" by Paul Brians(Kent State University Press, 1987) could be very useful.

I'm starting to really dislike that quote. First of all, within the first five minutes of hearing it, I realized that a stone age culture wouldn't have the societal structure required to support anything that could be called a world war.

Then too, of late, a good argument has been made that the Cold War was in fact WWIII, and another equally good argument that resistance to Islamism will constitute WWIV.

And lastly, not a single rock was used in The Road Warrior, and rocks have been by far the least used weapon in any post-apoc movie or book I've been exposed to, falling behind even fists and teeth.

That Einstein guy thinks he's so smart.

Yeah - but it sounds so ominous and prophetic.

And like, as a warning to change our ways and stuff....

*gets a rock*

(just in case)

Will we get a nice bibliography of "post aopcalypse fiction and movies" ?

Well, since every other genre book we've done has of course utterly failed to have any sort of Bibliography and Filmography, you can rest assured that PAH will also utterly fail to have one. ;)

Now Einstein has us started on a stone age arms race.

Haven't we learned the errors of our ways? Isn't this the sort of thing that destroyed civilization in the first place?

Uh...I mean, will destroy civilization...

When rocks are outlawed, only outlaws will have rocks.

Hey guys' date=' tomorrow at 3PM CST Wisconsin Public Radio is running a radio show [b']Here On Earth [/b]interviewing the author of a book called The World Without Us. Should be good grist for the mill. http://wpr.org/hereonearth/archive_070711k.cfm

Thanks, I'll have to give that one a listen. Tho the guy loses a couple of points (with me anyway) for the following:

A good place to start searching for answers is in Korea, in the 155-mile-long, 2.5-mile-wide mountainous Demilitarized Zone, or DMZ, set up by the armistice ending the Korean War. Aside from rare military patrols or desperate souls fleeing North Korea, humans have barely set foot in the strip since 1953.

Um, rare military patrols? I can't speak for today, but when I was there in the early 90s we had daily patrols in the DMZ. Not to mention there is an entire village ("Freedom Village") of people living & farming inside the DMZ. Granted, that's only one small section of a 155-mile-long strip, but still.

Going back to the "how long things last" discussion for a moment:

I previously posted a link to a USDA fact sheet on how long canned goods last. Well, a friend pointed out that home canning is an entirely different matter; high-acid foods home-canned in glass jars will last far longer than food in commercial metal cans. Even more helpful, the "pop-up" button on the lid will let you know if/when the jar has gone bad.

Going back to the "how long things last" discussion for a moment:

I previously posted a link to a USDA fact sheet on how long canned goods last. Well, a friend pointed out that home canning is an entirely different matter; high-acid foods home-canned in glass jars will last far longer than food in commercial metal cans. Even more helpful, the "pop-up" button on the lid will let you know if/when the jar has gone bad.

And they generally taste better too. :)